Speed Build Question

^

That…my resistances are above 3,000 thus socketing INT to my gear giving me more RES is not needed…as a necro I need armor and Rubys give me that.

I found the “mistake”. diamond is better for low paragon (like me p1100). ruby is better with more paragon (like yours with p2100).

Personally I don’t ever use diamond/ruby/emerald on my Int based characters’ chest and pants because the toughness increase is pretty meh compared to what diamonds provide to Str/Dex classes.

1 Like

I agree. There’s a point where it’s worth it, but I just don’t see the value at lower paragons. I’ve never understood people on the board running rubies/emeralds under 2k paragon on int classes. You still get pretty good value from the int at that point.

5x rubies/emeralds should give you about 12-16% toughness.

I mocked this up for one of my typical wizard setups a while back to see the comparison for myself, I’ll share it here to illustrate a point. It’ll change a bit depending on your aug levels, gear rolls etc. (I calculated it with 21k int including topazes at 2000 paragon as a baseline), but as a rough idea:

Paragon Mainstat without topazes Mainstat with topazes Toughness buff from topazes Damage buff from topazes
1500 17100 18500 1.0528 1.081
2000 19600 21000 1.0483 1.071
3000 24600 26000 1.0412 1.057
4000 29600 31000 1.0359 1.047
5000 34600 36000 1.0318 1.040

At 2000 paragon, you get something like 4-5% toughness and 7% dps from topazes. That seems better than 13% toughness from rubies/emeralds to me.

At 5000 paragon, when you are only getting 3% toughness and 4% dps from topazes, maybe the 13% toughness from rubies/emeralds makes a little more sense.

At low paragon, I just don’t see the value. Especially since slotting 5 amethysts would give you more like 25-30% toughness (if you are around 5k vitality before gems). Maybe makes less sense on a WD or necro, but on a wizard with shields that scale based on HP? Amethysts make way more sense than rubies at 1500-3000 paragon.

If you’re 10k paragon and have like 10k vit or something, then yeah, I guess rubies start to make more sense. But at lower paragon, if you really want to sacrifice the damage from mainstat gems to gain some toughness, honestly amethysts make way more sense, ESPECIALLY on a wizard.

I feel like this is a case of lower paragon players not understanding the math, seeing high paragon players on the leaderboard do it, and copying it, without understanding it just doesn’t really make sense at lower paragon.

EDIT: To anyone running rubies/emeralds at 2k paragon on an int class, I’d recommend checking your build in d3planner with topazes vs. amethysts vs. rubies/emeralds and see whether you think it’s actually worth it. Just because it makes sense for someone at 5k-10k paragon doesn’t mean it’s worth it at 1500-3000 paragon.

4 Likes

What an informative post…I’m P2300 and 26k mainstat but maybe still worth checking in d3planner rubies v topaz for my necro…I’m using Rubies for the armor still…

Do you use a proper guide version of a speed build? That way you should easily reach GR90. I have played around 60 hours (all solo) and am at 1 020ish, with 2-3 hours of set dungeons and some other non farming things. And GR90 was done quite a while ago (can do 119 now). Constant speed rifting with a guide’s build makes it easy to reach that kind of GR. Unless you can barely put any time in that is.

The wife and I are balancing 2 full time jobs and raising an infant during a pandemic, and our families live far away. So yeah, time’s limited.

I’m almost at 1000 paragon points. I’ll probably hit 1000 before the season is done. As far as proper builds - no, I don’t follow guides to the letter. A combination of luck and my choices based on how I’m playing at the time determine my gear.

Ah, I was thinking you had circumstances like that keeping you from putting in proper time.

I was pretty happy the first time I hit 1 000 in a season so hope you get there soon. Sure you can do it with your own version of builds too and that is even better.

This might help:

I’m in a similar position to the OP, family and work does not leave much time for pushing paragon. The video was made at paragon 797 for T16 Death’s Breath farming, now at 980 I’m farming GR90 in 3 minutes with almost the same build, but instead of Sage’s set with the standard Masquerade Set and also Nemesis Bracers in the Cube instead Reilena’s Shadowhook, as seen in this D3 planer:
https://maxroll.gg/d3planner/313942944

But beware, once you start farming with Steuart’s Greaves it becomes an addiction and running rifts solo without the boots becomes very dull :smiley:

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like this… https://maxroll.gg/d3planner/838281647
2 Likes

Thanks, I learned something new :wink:

1 Like