Sooo umm D2 Remaster.. Not on Mac?

Yeahhhhh… ummm… yeah…

2 Likes

Sadly the writing has been on the wall since the D1 re-release on GoG. There’s just currently not any real appetite to make anything Mac compatible outside of WoW, and that getting an ARM64 update only happened because Blizzard is toying with ARM64 for Windows (i.e. they’re hedging their bets).

I mean, D3 hasn’t even been given an update to Metal on macOS, so it’s no surprise at the direction things are going at the moment.

2 Likes

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Sad :frowning:

1 Like

It’s pretty insulting really. They were intelligent back in the day for realizing that it was something that was needed, and were one of the few for a while to consistently provide good titles for Macs. And we all supported them because of it. Now they’re just too lazy to care, apparently.

2 Likes

Really disappointed in this. Blizzard was always proud of having simultaneous Mac/PC releases and the Apple community could count on that. Is it an Apple problem or a Blizz problem? I have no idea. Just bummed.

It just makes me wonder if this will spread to their other games. Oh wait, it already did with OW, what they released on GoG…here we go.

2 Likes

Yeah just like everyone here pretty disappointed that Blizzard didn’t even consider Mac users to play D2 Resurrection. I really would like to play it heck I’ll even buy it if it ever comes to mac but guess in the meantime I’ll just stay at playing D3 I just wish D4 is playable for mac users too not just pc players.

3 Likes

I honestly thought things were looking up for the Mac when WC3 remastered was launched…

But im wondering if its failure was part of the reason why Mac (is probably) getting dropped.

Its sad… because there is some very very interesting things going on with the M1 architecture.

Man… Blizz, myself, and Apple go way back… They’re both definitely different companies now.

1 Like

Just a guess, but they basically said, that resurrected still runs the old Diablo 2 game engine underneath with the new graphics and sound on top of it.

With the old game still being 32bit and apple dropping 32bit support there are possible technical reasons it can not run anymore.

1 Like

No, that’s not it at all. It more comes down to the fact that activision blizzard is run by suits now and not gamers like OG blizzard. Most of the OG people who believed in making games for everyone because they just wanted people to play them, is long gone. It’s now a company that lays off employees every time they have record profits so bobby and shareholders can line pockets. It’s why mike morhiem and everyone else that has any passion left for community got out of there and formed new companies.

Truth of matter is, they could make diablo 2 and 4 run on mac SUPER easily. They’ve literally already done most of work internally on cross platform engine (Prism). They just don’t want to have to pay support staff/QA to test these versions of game or give support for it. It’s that simple.

3 Likes

MysticalOS, Thanks for your informative reply. It certainly doesn’t bode well for the Macintosh in the future, even with the new M1 in current and newer Macs coming out. Not holding my breath for IV :frowning:

They just don’t think it’s worth spending the money required for the sales it would generate, i.e. it’s not a good return on investment. It’s that simple.

1 Like

I keep my fingers crossed for the mac release - at least for the Intel based machines, which should be easier / cheaper and there is a lots of potential players on the market, myself included.

Is there a way to reach out to somebody to get my voice heard?

1 Like