Some Diablo Immortal Sidequests are just...dark

In most of the sidequest that you completed in DI, the ending you will get in those quests either will be:

• The quest giver committed suicide in front of you.
  • The quest giver got killed by his partner in crime, and got welcomed with an open arm.
  • The quest giver is using himself as bait so you can avenge him and his family by killing the monsters that he lured out using his life.
  • The quest giver got himself frozen to be together with his frozen lover.
  • The quest giver got killed by his own pet.
  • The quest giver told you the mission was a success except that her sister got murdered in front of you and her before you killed the priority target.
  • The quest giver became mad and will keep searching for his dead friends forever.
  • The quest giver asked you to save his family member only to see both of them get killed in the end.
  • The greedy dishonest quest giver lied to you only to see him get killed in front of you.

and some that I can’t remember now. :thinking:

Basically, most of them were not happy endings despite that you tried your best to help them. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Yep it’s the introduction for D4. XD There is no hope and no happy sunshine D3 gameplay XD

2 Likes

Best thing I’ve heard about D:I so far.

4 Likes

Diablo 3 also got quests/events like those, where the quest giver dies, or their family turns out to be dead etc. Not very dark though. It is a bit too bite-sized for that. Inconsequential. Like the game is making fun of it all. Comical relief darkness.

Darkness in storytelling tends not to come from the individual actions, but the consequences. People having to live with the pain, or a conflict escalating to become even worse etc.

I wonder if it makes sense to discuss this on the D:I subreddit that Blizzard has encouraged us to use for conversations about that game rather than the D3 forum.

4 Likes

Encouraging usage of Reddit is a bit of a joke imo :smiley:

8 Likes

The D:I subreddit is where Blizzard’s community manager posts D:I updates. Blizzard has encouraged D:I players to post there. Blizzard has no D:I forum. This is the D3 forum.

Well, players wanted Blizzard to take a darker route with Diablo than D3 had so there ya go. Kinda wish the forum had spoiler tag functionality instead of us having to hide things like this in a flyout (to avoid potential spoilers, etc).

They can’t let characters live too long or else they become memorable. We can’t have that in a P2W game, you gotta pay for good content.

1 Like

Just no p2w obviously. But it really did work.

I’ve got a lot of quests to do.

I still think DI is potentially a testing platform for D4 activities.

I see a few things in Immortal that I would like to see in D4. Just not the never ending need to team up with others. Keep that nonsense out of D4. Why in the world should it take 4 people to open a chest?

6 Likes

Honestly, having dark quests sounds terrific, and is something that I hope Diablo 4 has. I hope that the outcome of a lot quests aren’t necessarily happy endings, but a mix of dark, morbid, tragic, sad, and/or uneasy endings where the npcs (and perhaps the player characters) can take solace with the situation finally ending and having a chance of moving on.

You’re right D3 definitely has similar. The issue with D3 though (and as you said), is that it’s not really taken seriously (while RoS did pretty good). For example in D3 act 1, there’s a side quest where you can save a farmer from a bunch of monsters, and once you succeed, he asks you to meet his wife in the cellar, who was already a corpse. The quests ends with your character making comment about it and the dead wife’s head rolled off and the (crazed?) husband laughs saying that she nodded off to sleep.

1 Like

Yes i agree. D4 should have such quests. But obviously not the same or even remotely similar or it will not be remotely the same effect to the player (unless they suck and haven’t played D3).

I can see 1 or 2 happy quests (eg find Greta’s kitten). But repeat bad humor …

1 Like

Except that Greta’s kitten turns out to be a feral, rabid, zombie cat…

5 Likes

Because Wyatt can’t do anything by himself (including using the latrine, if I had to guess).

because its fun

Not with the rewards that these chests hand out. Trying to get 4x people together is a PITA.

1 Like

Yes but like D2 players they don’t understand that this is a D3 forum and don’t have the intelligence to go to their own forums, that and they are trolls that should all be serving bans, for not discussing D3 in the D3 forums

I suggest that alot of the D2 commentators have moved to Blizzard’s D2/D2R forum. There is no Blizzard D:I forum and Blizzard has directed that D:I discussions towards the D:I subreddit.