Some bans went out. 🔨

Seems like some of the top botters were banned yesterday. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: I noticed some people were on fresh accounts. Like for example there is no longer a solo 150 seasonal clear for Demon Hunter.

Not sure how many were banned, but I’d like to know a rough estimate of how many.

4 Likes

Well, we will never know:

We are committed to continuing to support Diablo III, including taking action against botting and cheating. Please keep in mind that we do routine actions to keep Sanctuary fair for everyone, and we will not regularly provide public notice of mass account actions.

Someplace there was a post or blog with a blue comment about there being more aggressive future banning regarding botting and the like, so could be some of that going on too.

But they aren’t going to give us any details, confirmation or otherwise, which to be frank is inline with their MO on these things.

Game on.

1 Like

A seasonal monk cheater who had like 11/13 primals and like 6k paragon is off the leaderboards. Nice!

5 Likes

Is IP ban possible or this is too easy to bypassed ?

Ban waves is great but if they come back everytime, it’s kind of useless.

1 Like

Not really useless to Blizzard as those players still need to buy new D3 copies which is a profit for Blizzard.

4 Likes

It has always been easily bypassed.
Truth of the Internet and IT tech is that you can’t really ban someone for good. It’s impossible with the way the internet is built.

Not to mention that IP bans have a potential to hurt bystanders. Many people have “grey” IP’s, which means that they share IP address with sometimes hundreds of other users. Banning an IP in this case will ban lots of other users.
That’s the main reason IP bans aren’t popular.

In all honesty, Blizzard would rather ban a B-net account and then cheerfully take the cheater’s money for the second one. And do this over and over until the cheater is tired.
One purchase of a game copy doesn’t seem like a lot, but it more than covers for any potential “damage” the cheater can cause in a game like Diablo. Because that damage is basically nothing more than annoying a bunch of players who care about leaderboards.
And that’s not that bad, especially if all cheaters are removed in the end of the season, allowing legit players to be where they should be.

1 Like

Not really… if you play this game, you would see that there’s barely any people playing now… Ban wave = even fewer people and it would be hard to get a group going.

4 Likes

I am very happy the way they are banned because they banned at the end of season. That means they cannot return to push again which is great.

2 Likes

It sort of did felt like there were less players on today, and its Friday. Makes sense now.

1 Like

End of PTR, without being able to play the s20 changes removed a good amount of interest with seasoned players.

2 Likes

Also, if using VPN they’d ultimately be banning the wrong IPs…

2 Likes

Not only is it easily bypassed by use of a VPN but most ISPs give dynamic IP addresses to their non-business customers rather than fixed IP addresses. That means the address I have today might be allocated to someone completely different once the TTL of the DNS record runs out. Banning by IP would ban the person who got my old address, and I’d be on a new address and just fine.

3 Likes

Do people actually play the game or just look at the leaderboards? Asking for a friend…

2 Likes

I thought there was a video of a pro player (not Diablo) that was crying because he got a CPU ban due to cheating on his non-compition account.

Blizz could probably do something like that for the most serious compulsive cheaters.

2 Likes

Yeah, they’ve got hardware ban capability, so they should use it. Much harder to bypass and recover from without spending for an entirely new set of PC parts.

2 Likes

Honestly it doesn’t look like they did a good sweep. I still see people at 5000+ paragon on the ladder.

3 Likes

Well, if bans were exercised a bit more consistently, then maybe more legit players would stick around longer.

6 Likes

I agree, they should do banwaves more often and not just in season. There are a lot of bots in NS…

2 Likes

Thank you very much Blizzard, now at least there is a ray of hope for legitimate players. Remember to do it more often please.

1 Like

You can’t ban IP, becuase the botter may own other Blizzard games. Devs can only ban them in Diablo 3 for cheating in Diablo 3 and not other games. Besides most Internet Service providers use dynamic IP anyway. Banning an IP would be pointless.