So macro's are ok to use?

Skelos, if you have 4 different macros programed into AHK, and you pushed all 4 to create 4 repeating key press each 1 skill.

Would that be okay?

i.e. if you do a control f1, it makes the 1 push over and over again every second.
f2 for 2
f3 for 3
f4 for 4
?

It’s the same as the numlock from what I read, right?

That would be okay as long as the numlock is okay.

That’s the macro I use for potions in PoE.

It’s not really the same. Macros circumvent some issues that numlock has that are inherent to keyboard input / blocking and skill reset times.

If your macro is timed to set off every 15 seconds because the buff ends at 16 seconds, it will be not be the same as a numlock.

If the macros is set off to repeatedly attenuate the key, then yes.

It’s subtle but important difference.

1 Like

Well, they are quite different from numlock (or a physical press) the way they work (for example simulating the holding down of a button with an AHK), but I meant if you want to achieve the same thing the numlock does with a macro you are free to do it since it complies with the one key press one action rule and you view the numlock as a non-cheat mechanic.

At this point there should be no fear about using such things so go ahead and code lol.

But we need solution for macros in D4 (either an in-game option for usage, or clear statement about their allowance). The topic has to be discussed internally and with us (the community).

The biggest problem is that it’s basically required for high end play. Perma skills that have pretty small uptimes that need to be spammed just to maintain a decent build is a sign of bad game development.

1 Like

You could infer this to be true, but I doubt it.
As the game allows you to change your keys in options to use numlock.

Using a AHK to do what numlock does, may do exactly the same thing it can be considered a 3rd party add on which is not allowed:

Again you can use anything you want at your own risk, just don’t fool yourself. Just because Bliz has never taken action on THUD users doesn’t mean they won’t and what ever action they do take, they will not catch 100% of the people using the various things and the penalties will vary from previous history

Skill buttons under numlock trick won’t constantly show key presses. With this in mind, it’s very easy to tell numlock trick from macros.

Feel bad for that group if he had IP on numlock/macro yeesh

1 Like

Yes, they do.

7 characters

No, they don’t.

Just hold down a skill button as if you are using numlock trick and see for yourself.

I use numlock on WotB, it looks like it keeps hitting the button until the cooldown is up, and I am no longer channeling WW, or I ground stomp. Then the cycle continues until the cooldown is up again.

And for the conversation, I am sure there was a blue post, possibly on the old forums, that they were fine with numlock trick, as they didn’t consider that an automation, but I’m not going looking for it.

3 Likes

Lol…people dont get ban for botting helper, thud and i dont know how many other cheat exist and now we are talking about macro :smiley: fell free to macro everything in the game. You will NEVER get ban for macro in d3. Just be carefull about blizzard exploit, look like they ban only for that.

3 Likes

Once again, no. Numlock trick won’t make your skill buttons look like they are being constantly spammed (and that’s what I meant constant key presses).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAI8s8rft4
Just watch the video, you can see there is no button press besides the initial presses once numlock trick is active at 2:10 mark. The character keeps casting Sweeping Wind, but the button doesn’t show any key press.

Not sure why Macros is OK in WoW and not in Diablo 3, but it’s not OK in diablo 3. Some people have been banned or suspended in the past for using macros.

Arbitrary decisions I guess. Probably the same reason why WoW has proper latency compensation for casting spells but D3 doesn’t.

World of Warcraft has built in support for macros. It’s built into their Lua framework. It has a maximum macro length of 255 characters and macros must use code that is sanctioned for use in the current Lua API. Macros are able to be set to any keybind the player chooses so long as the keybind is set from within the game itself.

Diablo 3 on the other hand, has no built in macro capability. As such, use of macros of any type is not allowed because doing so bypasses the in-game limitations placed by the developers (Blizzard). Basically, if you can’t do it in the game, you shouldn’t do it externally. If caught, your account can be actioned***.

The basic rule of thumb here is that if you have to ask if it’s OK to do something, it probably isn’t OK to do it.

*** Just because you haven’t seen any action from Blizzard on macros publicly does not mean you are safe to use macros. If detected Blizzard does have the ability and right to terminate your use of the game license (i.e. ban you). Don’t take lack of perceived action as authorization to do something. Since macros require third party devices and/or software with Diablo 3, they violate the EULA and if detected, Blizzard can do whatever they want with your account.

Macros aren’t OK. Use them at your own peril.

1 Like

Ok, going to stand completely corrected on this one. I could have sworn that it looked like constant key presses, but I just got a chance to take a look.

Even when the buff expires, nothing happens until the cool down expires and then the skill button presses.

Maybe that’s why Blizzard are ok with numlock trick.

So there is possibly something to be said for your earlier theory. That or they will end up with carpel tunnel from constantly spamming buttons :joy:

1 Like

How is a simple AHK script with 1 key press - 1 action a 3rd party addon?

This is something you can do in-game thus WHAT exactly is it adding?

Macros are cheat.
Bots are cheat.
Maphack is cheat.
Exploits are cheat.
Will you get banned from game? No. Blizzard does nothing.

1 Like

The Num Lock trick DOES work on the Mac, per a quick search on Google.