So... About the whole 2h Rend idea

Ran 110 yesterday in 11 min (1500s paragon) with a legacy Primal Messerschimidth’s Reaver, with 4200 damage + attack speed + CDR and without Taeguk (used for augmentation, need to level it up again). A bad grift, 1 conduit and that’s it.

Dual wield is way better and smoother, guys, I’m not even trying to make a case for 2h variant here, it’s inferior than IBs and BKs and that’s it. My current highest clear with BK is 119 but I think I can reach the 121-122 area with godlike floors + conduit

The thing I’d like to point out is: I managed to keep permanent Wrath up with ~58% CDR, avoiding spamming skills at any cost, only used Ground Stomp when BoM buff was about to drop off and et cetera, and… It’s possible to keep the Berserker up 100% at all times, therefore the toughness is there. Healing through StP rune and battle rage spam (that you can’t avoid, I guess). Haven’t tried with Lacerate yet, I’ll first level my Taeguk up again, so I can test it properly.

I’ll push with 2h variant and do some recording of it in the near future, let’s see how far it can go. It’s kind of a “here it goes nothing” feeling, but I said in the PTR I’d do it and I really feels like it.

4 Likes

Looking forward to your report and additional observations. I still wish Skorn could have been adapted to the new Rend era.

4 Likes

Hadd, you just just reinspired me (I must be a glutton for disappointment). I ran some numbers through D3planner with WW/Crimson/Heart Slaughter. HS will do 25% more damage than IB’s.

I’m going to test it! :grin:

Could you post a D3planner of your setup?

Edit: I just did a GR 115 with 3:28 minutes to spare. Zero density maps and one conduit. Did have 100% WotB uptime, but I managed. Interesting?

https://www.d3planner.com/754611753

2nd Edit: just noticed that I was using a useless Passive WM.

1 Like

I’ve been messing around with two-handed rend as well. I tried Messerschmidts reaver and the furnace. Surprisingly, I had the most luck using furnace with crimson’s, and just foregoing zodiac. The two hander doesn’t hit fast enough to make much of a difference with that.

Yeah I’ll have some WotB down time and I am squishy when it’s not activated but it hits much harder and takes more advantage of pylons. I downed a 123 GR in 11:57 without using a conduit but I did have to do some fishing for a dense rift.

I’m looking for that primal furnace right now. I’ve had the best luck with damage, strength, and vitality for the rolls. If only the elite damage on the one I have now wasn’t so crappy.

Battle Rage StP is a must, and I use weapon master and OP killing spree for the extra crit chance. I might try dropping OP KS for IP as the jailer affix murders this build. But yeah, I use ground stomp to activate BoM and move around mobs as well.

2 Likes

I’m glad to, as soon as I return home (I’m outside town for a few days)

Already thought about Heart Slaughter and Furnace (which ultimately shall be the best choice, overall) but I will really go with axes this time, maybe if I can push it harder with Executioner or Messerschimidth’s the devs might take a look and decide to buff Skorn. What do I got to lose? This was my favorite build in vanilla, and I stopped trying to be a power player a long time ago.

If you consider bringing Zodiac back to the table and keeping perma Wrath up (you gotta refrain from button smash in order to do so, since zodiac reset the cooldowns in a certain order, I suppose, the Wrath shall be guaranteed in 55-60 CDR. I could do it even against no-adds RG. I hard casted Rend a few times too. So, where I was going, you switched back to Zodiac to perma wrath you could drop IP and go with TS: Falter, which is a good boost to damage too

2 Likes

Go Hadd go! Looking foward for a guide and gameplay video.

I’ve been wrecking T16 with 2H Ww/rend in the past week. Love it!

2 Likes

As absurd as it might sound, you guys might want to think about trying Madawc’s Sorrow. Not for the legendary power, which is pretty bad, but just for the fact that it’s a mighty weapon. This would allow you to use Weapon Master for fury generation, and then run WW:Blood Funnel and BR:ITF, which if usable seems like the best healing/damage combo you can get from these two skills.

Not saying by any means that I’m sure this setup would be superior to Messerschmidt / Furnace / Heart Slaughter, but it might be worth a try.

4 Likes

https://www.d3planner.com/112701011

I was crushing a GR 120 with Furnace this morning, but I had to breakaway and didn’t finish it (it definitely performed better than HS).

Did some tweaking:

I used Leap: Iron Impact in place of Ground Stomp: Wreching Slam. The improvements were noticable in three ways more DR, better cool down for WotB since Leap has a 10 second cooldown instead of 12 seconds (Ground Stomp), and it’s much more responsive than GS (as another player pointed out in the forums). GS is great for creating density, but since I’m not using ItF nor Berserker I decided to take my chance. I felt that keeping WotB 100% was of greater value (accomplished this with 54% CDR). Passives used were WM (5% CHC), Ruthless, Rampage, and Boon.

The synergy is sound, but I think it would a major step back from Furnace.

Or… Blade of tribes + shouts + earthen might? I wonder if that would work

If you use Charge:Merciless Assault you’ll have even less cooldown issues, and it moves you around faster, though of course it doesn’t have the defensive merit of Iron Impact.

It’ll definitely kill elites a lot slower, but it should kill trash a bit quicker, and provide considerably better healing… Like I said, maybe worth a shot, if somebody is up for it and has a decent Madawc’s sitting around.

I thought about that, though then you’re pulling stuff off your bar for TS + WC, which will probably end up being a damage or healing loss, or both. Those skills are also going to eat a lot of zodiac procs. You could give it a try and see how it runs, though. I guess the objective would be to generate enough fury just via shouts that you don’t need to run Wind Shear.

You may not believe this, but if I’m not mistaken, I think I have a Primal Madawc (I’m the king of hoarders) or I might have held one with stellar rolls. If I do, I’ll give it a go.

A mighty, beautiful two handed giant axe like Madawc with such an awful and useless legendary power makes me wish I could be a D3 dev for one day. I’d gladly put a 50% increased Rend damage (uncubable) + a “Rend gets the effect of Lacerate Rune” legendary power, or something like that, so that 2h Rend would be great again

4 Likes

https://www.d3planner.com/240172166

I did a GR 120. With one Conduit from the start, I got ahead of the timer, by the halfway point I fell behind more than 2 minutes and I never recovered. A minute later, I throw in the towel. I did have some good density. On three occasions I was able to lure 3 different Elite into more density, even then I struggled.

Edit:

I think GoJ with Str/ CDR/ 10% damage/ Rend% would yield greater result, but I still don’t think it beat a Furnace.

That Rend % on GoJ will just get thrown in with all the other Dibs increases, so it won’t give you much.

Fair enough.

Keep in mind that dragging elites into density isn’t going to help as much with the new Whirlrend as it did with old-fashioned Whirlwind, since a lot of your damage (Ambo-Rends) doesn’t deal AD.

I’m not saying don’t do it, it’s still definitely a good idea. Just don’t expect that you’ll get a huge proportional increase in damage to elites by surrounding them with density, the way you would have with old WW, or with Leapquake, for instance.

Well, wouldn’t stacking Area Damage with hardcasting rends with a 2h be a viable option? The fpa for 2h WW is low enough to not have ambo mess with your hardcasted rends that much. The issue becomes how horrible hardcasting rend is to play, when you just tap WW every 3 seconds.

I understand, but we still want Bloodbath to bleed on Elites. I think that what sets Furnace apart, Bloodbath get a 50% multiplier to Elites.

Sure, if you’re committed to playing a 2H setup and not comparing it to a better method (which is fine).

When HCing Rend, you’re dropping damage proportional to how fall you far below 2.0 aps. And it’s tough to get to that speed without sacrificing a lot of other damage rolls (doubly so if you need both a bunch of AS and a bunch of AD, which you would).

Dual-wield definitely has this distinct advantage when considering HC Rends.

Agreed.

Actually, one thing I have no idea about is exactly how Rend overwriting mechanisms effect Bloodbath.

For instance: if you’ve killed some enemies with HC Rend, proccing Bloodbath, then I assume that these Bloodbath instances will proc AD (have not tested this yet, just guessing).

But what if, immediately after that guy effected by HC Rend died, spreading Bloodbath, you started WWing, applying Ambo-Rend, killing another guy? Does the Bloodbath proc from that guy overwrite the Bloodbath instances from the HC Rend, meaning those Bloodbaths no longer deal AD?

I’ll have to do some thinking on how to test, since everything resolves so quickly…

I plan to write a post nobody asked for about the issues with 2hd weapons. I really miss Skorn.

2 Likes

About hardcasting, doesn’t that kinda screws up the 4 pc bonus?

You just gotta use WW every 3 seconds or so to keep up Wastes 4.

1 Like