Single Player Offline Option

omg. :open_mouth: yeah… i’ve only ever played Diablo… no other Blizz games. i’m sure it’s good for people that play it a lot though. :grimacing:

i’m sure that’s one of the main reasons. Games are serious business these days.

oh wait… there’s not even like a base game for WoW?? that’s crazy… i’ll not complain about Diablo then :zipper_mouth_face:

It’s not much different to paying for a streaming service, like Netflix.

You pay to use it, but you don’t own it.

2 Likes

Who cares about a fragmented player base when you want to only
play solo.
I will also add, this season is way worse for lag then ever before.

1 Like

Because otherwise your fellow gamers will pirate the hell out of the game.

Say a huge THANKS to torrent people, and that’s all that you can do.

I honestly understand why blizzard did it, and fully support this measure. Game piracy has already cost us a lot of great game studios that stopped making pc games or went bankrupt outright. If making the game always online is the only real solution (which it is) - then so be it.

If I have to cope with a tiny bit of frustration in exchange for better and healthier game market - so be it.

In D4 I am not asking for offline mode. But I would ask for private game mode like in d3 where I would never see another player if I didn’t manually invite them.

6 Likes

So…, A game like Terraria or Minecraft will fail?

You might want to tell them to stop all development now!

8 Likes

You’ll have to point out where I said mods = failed game.

You’ll then have to establish how a game like MineCraft, popularized because of its modding, sandbox world, where people can cheat as much as they want, is the same thing as Diablo 4 and Blizzard’s goals for it.

Have fun.

yeah thanks a lot you rascals! :fist:t4:

that and people sharing their game… it may be small percentage of people but it adds up and this is what happens sadly…

this would be my main wish for D4 even if it means i have to miss out on World Bosses than i’m cool with it!

1 Like

The answer you won’t like and probably won’t even understand is that it’s much easier to control cheats and mods if there is no playable offline component.

I’ve used steam for most games I’ve played since about 2003. They all require you to at least login to steam (at some point) to play. in 16 years I’ve had down time where I couldn’t play those games maybe less than 5 times. I’ve almost never had an issue with Bnet servers on Diablo 3 (sans launch) either.

The stability of online play is such that you will not notice the difference in most cases. If you are experiencing lag on Diablo 3 most likely it’s YOUR connection or system having the issues.

Most games in the past decade or so have moved on an online only component for many of the same reasons. It keeps the games integrity more secure when it can’t be easily manipulated offline.

It’s just the future of how things have been for over a decade. Welcome to 2008? :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Are you kidding in regards to the stability of Diablo 3… I don’t think you’ve actually played the game.

Watch streamers with top end PCs and connections constantly freeze up, read the forums…

I would like to have to connect to BNET to play or launch the game, then play by myself without a server requirement.

5 Likes

Not the case I live in Australia and I have a better internet connection then I did 3 years ago Cable, that is much better than the Roll out of our main system Called NBN.
But this season D3 has been the crappiest for lag then any other season I can remember, ping will not drop but it will just stop in ways that make no sense I can click items as I move and nothing happens, I’ll attack a mob and that works fine then minutes later the opposite is the case.
And if I login with Steam to play what is a Beta Version of Wolcen, not one problem for hours, but I’ll have stopped playing by then as the content is not there to play that long.

2 Likes

Worrying about fragmenting the playerbase of Diablo IV?

even if it’s online only I will refuse to play with others, I will just make my own session like I could on Battle . net with a password to keep others out on Diablo and Diablo II

2 Likes

It depends on what flavour of NBN you have.

I’ve had full fibre NBN for over 6 years and it’s fantastic.

Those with the inferior NBN connections on the other hand…seems like a never ending cycle of horror stories.

D4 will already do that. There are many that will not be doing the MMO aspect of the game. There are dozens of Clans that have already banned taking part in the world bosses. Then you have those that will only ever play alone or with their small team and never with random people.

Being online doesnt protect from anything. I know of at least 100 people all using the same set of 10 accounts. A VPN and shared log in details defeats that easy enough. So that argument is dead in the water.

We will have to see what happens when it comes out in 3 or so years.

Many people will be doing the same.

Again… Plz, don’t feed the trolls…

1 Like

Offline - you will never get it. It is too much of a profit loss to allow your game to be pirated, and other DRM’s are much worse and intrusive to be considered an option. And they get cracked eventually anyway.

As for “non-multiplayer” - I am personally hoping that the game will have a Private or Invite-only option, like it is in D3.
To me, this personally the biggest bummer about D4. If I have to see idiots in my game - I will be greatly discouraged.

• No to permanent multiplayer
  • No to content unbeatable solo. World bosses and events NEED to be soloable.

Leave MP as an option if you love it so much, but give us option to opt out. And no, simply ignoring other players and not interacting with them is NOT enough. I don’t want to see other players EVER. Not in town, not on a boss event, not on world quest - NEVER EVER EVER WHATSOEVER.

5 Likes

That is what you say in that sentence. The specific part is “disconnecting the players”. The implication is that Blizzard will not receive as much attention or it will cause players to leave quicker. Both could cause a game to be considered a failure.

Fragmenting players will happen regardless if it is a required online game or a by choice online game. I play D3 (and this was true of D2) solo. I do not like playing games with other people after I saw the extent people are willing to go to ease their egos when cheats first came out in Counterstrike. As a modern example, people complain about autofarming bots quite often and Turbohud works on the same concept as a wallhack (more vision for more success).

Which goes into your cheat comment. It already does and will continue to happen. Assuming someone does it in the enclosed environment of a solo offline game, it will not affect people who are online because in most modern games, there is no overlap for the two.

Modding has kept Minecraft very popular. This can also be seen in the D2 mods that have come out overtime and the rush of people who go and play it again because of them.

One of these days I will learn not to post things right before to bed, because I forget to quote the exact text I was referring to. The point of my post is that mods, which you reference as bad, has kept those games going a lot longer than what you would normally expect. As referenced above, it has helped D2. Some of those mods for MC and D2 are UI only. There is no cheating connected to them. Or another example from MC, the Optifine graphics mod. It actually makes the game harder as you cannot be 100% certain where shadows are in the game engine, but my god does it make the game look better.

So, is there connects there, yes, I will admit fault for not saying what I was referencing in the post I did. That said, an offline solo experience with mods can keep the life of a franchise going very long as, once again, D2 shows.

1 Like

I think that mods should be reserved to single-player one-and-done games.

An infinite loot game like Diablo where your endgame is basically grinding gear over and over - this should do without mods.

Not every game needs mods, and that’s one of such cases.

1 Like