Should Immunities be toned down?

No

So many letters!!

They already said they are basing the game off the current game as it stands. Removing immunities means having to rebalance countless items. It also makes no sense when you only need to break 100% as I stated for them to no longer be immune. Meaning even if they have 99 all resists they are still not immune.

There are countless items to do this and items you can buy from venders to break most immunities. There are also base skills to deliver different types of damage.

I am actually in favor of some changes, but removing immunities would be a change for the worse.

Immunities are the reason why people come up with really fun builds like the Dual Element Sorc, why different builds are good at clearing different areas and force you to find another way to deal with some monsters instead of mindlessly spamming your primary skill over and over.

At least in my opinion they make the game much more interesting by mixing things up a bit.

1 Like

I wonder when they learn that immunites arent going anywhere.

1 Like

While I wouldn’t mind immunities being less in density and mostly for those mob types that should have them (such as the shock bat, ice crawlers, etc), I think the bigger problem is skill balance. Most classes have an easy way around an immune monster (Zealer has a single point in vengeance for physical immune or sanctuary for physical immune ghosts, Barb has berserk single point, Zon’s have many utilities including merc + valk for ele immune, etc) Sorc is the worst however for immunities, because her main end game skills are: Lightning, Blizzard, Chain Lightning, Frozen Orb, Fireball, Meteor.

All these skill have 3 synergies, except Frozen Orb (1) and Fireball (2), and each has an associated mastery. The amount of point investment in these synergies needed to be efficient as opposed to doable but tedious when taking multiple elements, is too high, and leaves little room for other utilities outside of single point wonders such as tele and static. Not to mention even, that Frozen Orb pales in comparison to the damage output of the rest of these with it’s paltry 40% damage buff from it’s single synergy. Even further, not to mention that the enemies have damage sponge hp values, except to the cookie cutter high dmg yield skills.

I Use a Metorb based Tri-Elemental Caster all the time it is my main build. Yes it takes me 30 secs to a minute to kill a dual immune if I am in horrible gear. If I am in GG gear he is dead in 10-15secs. There is no issue.

1 Like

Yeah right try running a Bowazon or a Barb and running into one of the physical immunes along with another immunity and either a frozen or lightning affix :man_facepalming: and not having the right item to break just those immunitys ATM

Incorrect. Psn charms, multiple things for sockets, etc. There are also plenty of weapons with varying types of damage. If you do not gear for that farm nightmare and get any variety of items to do it with. Even if it is a 6os weapon full of one of the above. You can get around them. They are not impossible to beat unless you choose to make it that way.

Yes you are responsible for the choices you make. Choose not to run a b star your choice. Choose to keep your primary and secondary to not have varying types of damage that is your choice you are responsible for it. It is not a mistake that immunities exist. Immune to physical is only a Death sentence if you make it that way.

2 Likes

MDK your example of lower resist wand is incorrect you should edit it.

(It’s incorrect insofar as it ignores the 20percent penalty)

A 130 resist immune monster will not have immunity taken away with -31 low resist from wand for example.

(Has edited now, leaving for info, lots of people make the same calculation, easy to do)

1 Like

Edited. Looked it up on multiple locations and found the same answers. Information is correct to the best of my knowledge and known reliable sites.

1 Like

There is also always the option to simply skip monsters if you insist on using only one damage type and not running items/skills to break the immunity.

It might be annoying to have to maneuver through mobs which you can’t kill while taking damage from them, but it is perfectly viable.

2 Likes

No, NO, NOOO! Immunities WILL stay. Please return to your casual hack and slash experience in Diablo 3.

5 Likes

Ok I played for years, was a lot different with resist etc. With the addition of adding powers with synergies a Sorc suffers the most, more than any other player. I mean I can see the lower resist not work vs magic damage which it used too! But with skill I agree 100percent cap that allows you a chance to hurt them, which would take a long time and still be challenging just not impossible.

Let me put it like this. Would it be fun for you to fight a single extremely resistant mob for a very long time? I think not. Would you rather have a merc kill said immune mob? Yes you would. Would it really make a difference if they are immune or extremely resistant in this scenario? No it would not.

Exactly my point. I have been playing with orber/blizz sorcs and poison necros for 17 years now and the immunities are what makes it challenging at times. The game wants you to find ways to beat it instead of just smashing right mouse button like a child in D3 where even gr100 is easy once you get the items you need in day one of the new season.
P.S. Hell difficulty is supposed to make you go through hell to finish it, as its name implies. It ain’t hard at all though, even with the multiple immunities.

1 Like

How many ways can you beat something on a single character? You have a basic build and your mercenary. One you use your own abilities or you watch the mercenary kill it.

How is that considered challenging? Looks like an illusion of choice. Press B to win.

The many ways are explained multiple times in this useless thread already. What’s the problem with the Merc making the kill tho? Why do people want to render the companions useless instead of giving them bigger roles in the remaster by buffing and balancing the ones from the other acts? Beats me. Anyway let me list them so you can find them easier (as people are addicted to easy and free stuff)
-Making hybrid builds or simply taking one skill that can take it down.
-Ignore the immune if you can’t kill it. It’s only one mob lmao
-Use items specialized for the job
-Use items with charges for a secondary weapon so you can use an additional element to kill immunes
-Build a Merc as he is going to be your best friend during all playthroughs
-Get a party of friends with different characters using different elements so you can split the job

And the list goes on and on. Why do you have such a problem with the immunities? They are part of D2 and as such are part of what made it famous leading to this remaster. I keep asking people here, if you dislike the mechanics of the original game then why preorder it’s remaster?

1 Like

We all know the ways, because you have to google them. You go through the game making a build and realize that build can’t progress against something. It becomes impossible at that point, so you need to search on the internet on how to get past it.

You ether deviate from the build you wanted to play or you rely on the mercenary using very specific equipment that you need to search for. In the meantime you won’t really be able to do anything with that build, until you acquire those specific conditions.

So you will ether join games with other people or just skip that enemy entirely. Meanwhile both Diablo and Baal have minions with immunities that can block you, so the option to skip them doesn’t always present itself. It’s not that the enemies were every hard in the first place, you are just blocked from doing anything to them.

Why Google stuff instead of using your own head tho? I guess you Google builds as well. Anyway I am going for full blizz untill endgame where I respect and switch to full orber for mfing and PvP reasons. The Merc kills a total of 4-5 mini bosses (maybe less) during A1-5 mfing. Gear for both the sorc and the Merc are also not questionable - best of what you got atm. The Merc follows me around since A2 on normal and progresses alongside me and he handles anything immune to ice. What do I do? Aid him with static and potions (if needed). The same thing that you should do with a party when something is immune to your base element. So no, your “one element” build never gets outdone or blocked by one mere mob. You still got time to read the listed things that you can use, which actual d2 players have used for decades.
The game is about skill and finding ways to beat it while googling stuff is the way of the children that want to be relevant in a game that they don’t want to invest much of their time in.

By the way Lower Resist is basically useless in Hell difficulty. At 1/5 effectiveness what are you really going to break with -6% Cold and -6% Fire resist? It’s not even worth it.