Short Man's Finger - Stats, or Garg Damage?

Hello,

I 'm looking for a bit of help with the Short Man’s Finger ring. I’m running the Helltooth set, and realistically, all my damage is done by my three Gargs (other moves are just buffs and stuff).

I have two Short Man’s Fingers. One has about 25% more Garg damage (the ring’s effect); the other one has Crit Chance on it (had to roll the socket onto the higher Garg damage one). The one with Crit and less Garg damage gives a sheet damage boost of 8.6%.

Since the Gargs do all the damage, is the 25% buff to them worth the Crit Chance loss? I’m not sure if those percentages are calculated in the same way, so I’m not sure which will be better. The guides all say Crit Chance is the highest dps stat, but they don’t seem to mention how high a priority the Garg damage is.

Any ideas?

The range of the ring bonus is [500-650]%
Ie between x6 and x7.5 multipler.

As you didn’t tell the actual value, I use the min x6.

25%/6 = 4.1%

The one with chc is better because 8.6% > 4.1%

2 Likes

Excellent answer! I like that you showed me the formula to understand how the percentage works out as a multiplier. I can make more informed judgements on a lot of things now - thank you!

1 Like

D3planner can help for questions like this too if you aren’t sure how to do the math.

You can import your build (or input it all manually, you can fully customize the rolls on each piece of gear, but it’s faster to import), change your gear, and see what gives more damage. You’ll want to look at the skill damage though, not raw sheet DPS. Under the skills/effects tab (third one over), it lists all your selected skills and you can see the damage per hit or DPS for each skill. So to compare garg rings, you could check your garg dps with the one ring, then enter the stats for the other ring and check your garg dps again and see which makes your gargs do more dps.

If you hover over the skill it will also list all the multipliers affecting the skill.

It’s a pretty handy tool.

2 Likes

Oh, very nice. I came to ask another question and used the tool to see what it says. Looks like Vitality from Paragon points is more toughness than Int, but I’m not sure if that’s being worked out at 10 stacks of Soul Harvest - Languish. I still think it’ll be better to keep stacking Int though. The damage and overall value my build gets from it feels like too much to pass just for a bit of extra health.

It will be as long as you have Soul Harvest toggled on and set to 10 stacks. The damage/toughness calculations will reflect your buffed toughness with the Soul Harvest stacks included.

Generally yes, at least at lower paragons. At high paragon it’s a bit different, you just have so much int at that point that grabbing a little vit can be pretty helpful. At high paragon, the damage bonus from int becomes less and less effective in relative terms (the more int you have, the less relative damage you gain from adding even more int).

At low paragon, it’s basically (some damage + some toughness) from int is better than (some toughness) from vit. At high paragon (some toughness) from vit is more enticing than (a tiny bit of damage and toughness) from int.

1 Like

Int gives you both damage and toughness through all resistances. If you also manage to find some good gear with + armor then you shouldn’t overdo it with vitality. Of course you can see for yourself and experiment and find the perfect combination of stats but I am guessing you won’t need to spend more than a couple of hundred points into vitality. I usually feel very comfortable with 700k - 800 k life. Life per hit is kind of important though sometimes so it’s nice to have it on your bracers for example.