Serious Frame Drops on Mirror Image summon

Does anyone else have this issue? Everytime I summon the mirror images my frames drop beyond anything then stay between 20-30 fps. Any other build I’ve played stays at 120fps+ No matter the number of things happening (unless you have area damage procs)

A 1080ti shouldn’t be stressed by this game. Even when I turn everything down but textures from high it still happens.

4 Likes

Same issue here. Also, Vyr build is experiencing a severe rubber band effect every time I teleport around.

1 Like

Same here with firebird. Set eyerything to “low” - no change…

So a “soft” solution on our own side was mentioned here; it worked for me but I hate how the sound is.

Could have something to do with your monitor settings. It might sound dumb, but maybe you’re not running that the hz your monitor should be running at. Other then that, I don’t really have an answer. I have a sad R9 390 8gb and I don’t hang like that. There’s also a solution I used to remove freezing in grifts etc that I googled, which led me back to these forums. It might have to do with the sound like my freezing issues did. I do drop frames while using FB’s, but not enough to bother me. I think the lowest I go is 60fps.

Have you taken area damage out of paragon and gear?

Doesn’t sound like it would be the issue if it’s happening upon summon, but doesn’t hurt to double check.

Edit: oh and that 10 second freeze from fmodex.dll has been around for awhile. If you have recently come back to D3 after a long break, that could be it.

2 Likes

My monitor is set with gsync on and 144hz, along with the card settings with it. It’s just everytime the mirror images pop the frames go to hell.

No area damage in anything

It never freezes it just drops frames sadly.

i’m using a gtx1070, not even a Ti. and don’t have any issues with the game freezing or slowing down.

Perhaps you can try this fix, adjusting the sound channels in game settings:

I was having the same issue with the lag and such. I turned off my sound like others have said and it completely fixed almost all lag.

I saw in another post, on this forum or another, aout CoE.
And to me it is just that, when CoE is equipped, as soon as you hit mirror images skill in combat on a rift, everything goes nuts, and a lot of screen freezing happens.
Swaped CoE for Unity and gameplay is smooth.
Before knowing that i tried to reduce quality, change resolution, window mode, remove all area damage from followers, paragon, etc… Nothing could fix it.
Since i saw rhykker’s guide, and he makes an remark on “Area Damage” lag? I wonder if this “lag” was something people were aware on the PTR, and released anyway, or something that is related to specific hardware, or is intentional.

I don’t remember adjusting my sound channels to 64 but there it was. I dropped it to 32 and man cleared up the issue for the most part. I think I might drop it to 16 to see if it helps further. The sound component is definitely the issue.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. Adjusting the sound channels is what fixed it for me.

Had a bit of lag on my monk, so I figured it was the D3 server. Then I switched to my wizard and tried the Firebird build and it was damn near unplayable. I checked packet loss using WinMTR and all was fine. I turned sound off and that seemed to fix it, but I thought that’s a lousy band-aid. Then I noticed my sound channels were set to 128. I don’t know whether there is any tangible benefit to having it that high. So I dropped it down to 32 and now the game is pretty smooth while wizarding. I also don’t notice any discernible difference after changing that sound setting.

There is a definite difference between 16 and 32 channels. From what I understand it basically limits the amount of simultaneously played samples (probably not 1:1, the number might include effects as well). On 16, some sounds are simply not played, while others are cut off early.

This is very easy to test, for example, when RG drops its stuff - from about GR80-85, when the drop consists mostly of legendaries, with 32 channels you will hear most of it, but with 16 you will hear about half of it.

The main problem with this is that it becomes very easy to miss sounds of legendaries dropping off-screen, or warning calls from treasure goblins.

1 Like

Forgot to check back here. What you described makes sense. I appreciate the info. I suppose I just never focused on the sound closely enough to notice it.