Season start -- best practice

The guides and videos for “fast season start” are all aimed at softies. A play style of “Oh, you died in a vision? No worries… just respawn” isn’t really an option. Plus I’ll probably be playing SSF so group strategies aren’t much use.

So I’ve been playing around in HC non-season (to avoid the boons from the altar) without assigning any paragon or forging anything to start. My pattern is something like

Grab best weapon from followers. 7.5 dps minimum
Salvage/sell gear you and follower not using, unlock first node
Kill Zoltun Kulle in bounty fight at T2
You should now have yellow weapon and three skills unlocked
Drop down to Master and farm for goblins until you get diamonds
Unlock unrestricted gear level
(Optional – run challenge rift for cache)
Level up blacksmith as far as possible, forge best 2-h weapon possible
Grab Cube of Kenai
Party on

Or is there a much better way I’m missing?

Without the shards in S31 there doesn’t seem to be a good way to avoid grinding for gems. There are great places like Arreat Core or Leoric’s Passage that are small, linear, and have high chances for goblins.

Update: I’ve been trying out the “head for the cube” strategy from below and it’s been pretty good. I don’t have the same chance of an early goblin but it’s very reliable. Sometimes consistency is the best option.

1 Like

1.challenge rift
2.lvl blacksmith
3.craft axe/dagger/2h sword
4.go to cube and lvl here to 18lvl
5.when u have 18lvl go zoltan Q for gems
6.craft lvl 70 iteams

and 1-70 is 20-30 min with this

3 Likes

Huh? How do you use the weapon you craft in step #3 without unlocking the node in the altar? There are no usable weapons to craft at level 1

U Craft Axe lvl5,dagger lvl10,2h sword lvl 15

1 Like

Hmm… goblin farming I’ve found gems by level 10-12 fairly often.

Also, what difficulty do you run the Ruins of Secheron for the cube?

1 Like

Master/hight ,with first Node id easy 1-18 on cube run .
Only necro can start t1-3

1 Like

Only on 18 llvl Boss chest drops gems ,normal mode

Hmm… I’m going to try some Master runs of the ruins… I won’t have the altar unlock in non-season but it’ll give me a feel for it. Do you use the quest marker for the chest in the elder sanctum to help find the cube or are you one of those “I know every map layout” savants?

U can make season char and unlock 1 node.
I run all layouts,u no need q

Learning cube run is fun ,u can make 18 lvl on this run in 10 min+/-

Unfortunately I’ve fully unlocked the cube in HC/SC and SSF so I can’t make a seasonal toon without all the boons from the altar. Not unless I buy another copy of the game.

Or you play in another region, e.g. if you usually play on US, you could do this on EU.

2 Likes

Already burned thru those as well… I had way too much fun this season running visions and unlocking the altar.

1 Like