Season 30 - Redemption of the Crusader!

I would like to have a ret paladin theme crusader… 2h weapon and just ultra dps everything. Why I’m dreaming…

2 Likes

It’s a class set with only 50% passive DR on a class that has all weapon slots tied up and has no decent dedicated defensive legendary. The Justice Lantern ring is a joke for the DR it provides relative to other class legendaries like band of might or dayntee’s binding.

This is on top of AOV being defensively dependent on multiple defensive cooldowns that WILL have downtime at just the wrong time to get you squished.

Valor needs to be buffed to 75-80% DR at max stacks, and about 100x the FOH damage (seriously) that it has now.

Edit: patch just launched and I did a GR 120 clear on my old invoker. Got top 10 in class leaderboard as a result. Dead class confirmed.

1 Like

Armor of Akkhan - rework the rework

• (2)Set - Judgement has no cooldown and gains the effect of every rune. Manually hitting an enemy with Smite automatically cast Judgement on that enemy.
  • (4)Set - Attacks from Phalanx Avatars reduce the cooldown of Akarat’s Champion by 0.5 seconds. Reduce damage taken by 70% for 15 seconds after casting Phalanx.
  • (6)Set - Increase the damage of Phalanx and Smite by 20000%. Phalanx Avatar’s now target the first enemy hit by Smite, not the chained enemies.

Supporting items

• Golden Scourge - Smite now jumps to 3 additional enemies and does 400-500% more damage.

• Armor of the Kind Regent - Smite gains the effect of every rune and jumps to an additional 3 enemies.

• Unrelenting Phalanx - Phalanx now cast twice and gains the Bowmen and Bodyguard runes. This change makes the Stampede rune a viable choice.

There needs to be a mechanic that does not resummon phalanx avatars (Bowmen/Bodyguard/Shield Bearers) if they are already active. These changes will eliminate the lag issue from the current build.
Conceptually making Smite trigger Judgement for grouping and Phalanx - Stampede a targeted semi-nuke. Having Bowmen and Bodyguard for extra dps and tanking. Smite/Stampede can be played in melee or ranged giving the build flexibility.

4 Likes

The worst thing about the current Akkhan rework is that they removed the CDR stacking need to get Akarat’s Champion uptime, yet you still need to stack CDR to get enough bowmen uptime.

They pretty much took the Akkhan condemn build, in which everything came from your character directly, and funneled that into jumping through judgement spam and pet AI garbage, and ending up at a comparable or worse result.

1 Like

Let’s embrace the Falling Sword skill because it is such a wasted opportunity to for the Crusader class.

Rework Falling Sword’s Animation
Falling Sword must become an amazing mobility skill, make its animation very quick like Dashing Strike. Falling Sword must become a skill that’s quicker than traveling with Steed Charge, currently the animation delay is slower than using Steed Charge.

Seeker of the Light
(2pc) Set:
Every use of Blessed Hammer and Blessed Shield that hits an enemy reduces the cooldown of Falling Sword and Provoke by 1 second.
(4pc) Set:
You take 50% 80% less damage for 8 seconds after landing with Falling Sword. Enemies hit by Falling Sword take 600% damage from Blessed Hammer for 8 seconds.
(6pc) Set:
Increase the damage of Blessed Hammer and Blessed Shield by 30,000%.

Faithful Memory (rework)
Falling Sword stays in the ground and Memorizes the damage dealt to the first enemy hit by your Blessed Hammer. After 5 seconds Falling Sword explodes and deals 300% of the Memorized damage to all enemies within 15 yards.

LoD Blessed Shield vs Suggested Rework Damage Comparison

Set Bonus: 98.5x → 301x = 3.05x
Element %: 1.8x → 1.4x = .778x
Squirts → Endless Walk: 1.5x
LoD Gem → Bane of the Trapped: 1.6x
Captain Crimson: 1.6x
Total: 9.11x or 14GRs

Expected Outcome: GR149-150 @ 5k paragon

Blessed Hammer Damage Comparison

Set Bonus: 151x → 301x = 2x
Faithful Memory Transitioned to Seekers 4pc: ~1x
Faithful Memory Rework: 4x+
Total: 8x or 13GRs+

Expected Outcome: GR148 @ 5k paragon

3 Likes

I LIKE IT. Is there a reason that the 4pc does not include Blessed Shield? Also, would including Blessed Hammer in Akkhan’s Leniency make it OP?
When I propose my set reworks, I do not do the math. I just think of the mechanics and figure the developers can tweak the numbers. PTR testing to finalize the power level.
Thank you for your effort, it is appreciated.

1 Like

Blessed Shield would be too overpowered having 30,000% and 600% on the 4pc. Blessed Hammer can have both bonuses and stay balanced.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

• Cam’s Rebuttal - Remove resource cost and cooldown of Falling Sword. Falling Sword now pulls in all enemies with 25 yards upon landing.

Possibly a welcome addition to the proposed changes in the SoTL set. I think it would help maximize the new mechanic of the Memorize effect. Or add it an existing legendary item supporting the set. Addition to 4pc bonus? Whichever option is best suited.

@dmkt, what do you think would be the best option for the new legendary power of Cam’s Rebuttal. If it remains on the sword, you would lose out on Johanna’s Argument. To me it feels weird to add it to Guard of Johanna or Gabriel’s Vambraces since those are Blessed Hammer bonuses already. Do you think it would be better included in the 4pc bonus or make a new item, belt/bracers? I’m honestly at a loss.

All these great ideas, I do hope something comes out of them.

3 Likes

Something I’d be interested in would be a change to Norvald’s Fervor to give it 10,000% damage increase while using Steed Charge and 200% for 5 seconds after it expires and Swiftmount also providing all Runes for Steed Charge.

Gimme Horsie build.

2 Likes

My proposals:

1. Buff Cpt. America blessed shield to S - tier
  2. Add one class - specific damage reduction item
1 Like

Roland’s shield bash build is long overdue for some kind of overhaul or boost.

• Flail of the Ascended should also increase damage of Shield Bash by 300%-400%. The Gathering Sweep version of this set build has both Golden Flense and Denial providing damage increases to Sweep while the Shield Bash build only has Drakon’s increasing skill damage, under conditions. [EDIT added 09/05/23]
  • Shield Glare damage should be included in the pool of utility damage increasers (shoulder/chest item skill damage rerolls). Currently the only way to increase this damage is by using the Towering Shield passive (which does not mention this damage increase in it’s tooltip but displays it in the “details” page). [EDIT added 09/05/23]
  • Elemental damage increase should apply to Blinding Shield/Shield Glare damage. Currently, Shield Glare appears to benefit from no damage modifiers and is hard capped at 5x Shield Bash damage. This change would allow for experimentation with items like Stone of Jordan or Convention of Elements. [EDIT added 09/05/23]
  • Drakon’s should refund a fixed amount of resource the same way Gavel of Judgement does for Hammer of the Ancients.
  • Final Witness should also provide all runes to shield glare, or at the very least, Divine Verdict.
  • In general, the language used around block chance/shield block chance/max block chance needs serious work. It is well known amongst those who have spent more than 2 minutes looking into it that the block cap doesn’t exist quite the way the tooltip suggests.
  • further to this, block chance should be more meaningful to a build based entirely around smashing an opponent in the face with your shield in the following ways:
    • Increase the damage reduction effect of Justice Lantern to 75% - 85% of block chance.
    • Change the shield block chance contribution of Shield Bash to be overall block chance. If it is already doing this, fix the wording of the skill and increase the % multiplier to be double what it is now, and reflect this increase across relevant runes (ie Pound).
    • Update the Divine Fortress passive to increase armour by 200% of your block chance. This won’t make it as effective as Stone Gauntlets, but it will allow the build to consider Angel Hair Braid in the cube as an alternative, thus making the act of blocking (and subsequent block chance) more valuable.
  • It’s quite difficult to stray from the skill setup of Punish / Shield Bash / Shield Glare / Iron Skin / Law of X / Akarat Champion while using this set. This means the other defence skills of Judgement and Consecration don’t see much use. Judgement already has more than enough use in other builds with many items built around it specifically, so I think an overhaul of Consecration would promote it’s use with this set. Some examples:
    • Bathed in Light
      Increases your life per second by up to 90%, based on your missing health.
    • Shattered Ground
      Enemies standing on consecrated ground hit by your attacks take 460% of the damage caused over 3 seconds as fire damage.
    • Fearful
      Enemies standing on consecrated ground have 30% reduced attack speed
  • This above change could also replace the desire/need for Akarat Champion occupying our last free skill slot by replacing it with Consecration. This would arguably make this build the only one that liberates Crusaders from their current dependency on CDR.
  • Proposal for a new Legendary Gem:
    • Monolith
      Increases your block amount by 10% (+1% per rank) and block chance by 10%.
      Blocking an attack causes your shield to resonate, increasing damage taken by nearby enemies (15 yards) by 3%. This effect stacks up to 5 times (Requires Rank 25).
    • The philosophy of this gem is not only to assist fresh players with a bit of free block chance to get going, but also create some more value in an otherwise overlooked stat: block amount. As other forms of damage reduction get stacked on top of each other, the value of block amount goes up significantly as one of the very few damage mitigators based on a flat number. I’ve personally had interesting experiences achieving 100% uptime on Squirt’s Neck by experimenting with Hallowed Bulwark around GR100.
    • Further to this, the rank 25 effect is intended to operate in a way similar to Gem of Efficacious Toxin, giving the player some group play usefulness by increasing damage for not just themselves, but others they group with. By making it a stacking effect it not only balances out on average by comparison to Efficacious, but encourages the player to go deep on a group of enemies to max out the stacks as fast as possible, while also balancing out the effect against rift bosses. The gem is not intended to read as a mandatory part of the set, but a way to offer more ways to participate in group play and offer greater defence.

As the leaderboards currently stand, the Roland set category is maxxed at GR127 using Gathering Sweep, while the overall Crusader category is maxxed at around 136 using the “holy rocket entourage” build. Shield Bash is clearly in need of some tweaking, but really the whole set clearly is undertuned and would benefit from a buff.

I welcome any feedback on the above.

[EDIT some grammar and skill name correction adjusted 09/05/23]

2 Likes

The following content is taken from my title: Patch 2.7.6 Wish List
Cru:
Invoker: 6P bounus 67500%→97500%.
My Note:In Patch 2.7.5, the melee attack of H90’s buff is very exciting for players. We hope Devs continue to slightly buff others melee attack gameplay in 2.7.6, making it more competitive, as Shadow and Invoker are already forgotten due to their weakness.
Bless Shield:Crusader – Last Minute Request for Blessed Shield 1
My Note:As various Sets continue to be buffed, I hope that the LOD can also be strengthened, such as the Blessing Shield and poision Dart of WD. dmkt’s idea is good, but I hope to add an upper limit to Akkhan’s layer of pity, such as:
Each enemy hit by your Blessed Shield increases the damage of your Blessed Shield by 250~300% for 3 seconds,Can only stack up to 100 times.
The stack’s limit can prevent it to be a push role in party play.
KHASSETT’S CORD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS: Fist of the Heavens costs 40% less Wrath and deals 300%~400% more damage.
My Note:Since Norvald was nerfed (400%→200%), the sound of compensating the Fist of The Heaven has not stopped. A large number of players hope that the stength of the FoTH can return to the strength before the Norvald was nerfed.Devs,plz make it happen,plz.

1 Like

This in the final patch and I’d be soooo happy

Alternatively add a Crusader shield or bracers with the s27 effect as regular legendary and add a significant damage bonus to FoH on it. So that we’re not forced to use Norvalds but could run Darklight + Shield or something

2 Likes

This is why I came to D3 forums… They seriously need to make Crusader great for the last season and for future re-run of old seasons. Crusader was never great, it has always been up to 40 tiers behind for speed runs and 150 GRs. The horse change was good, but it is not enough DPS to blast through gr150s like other classes do with ease and it was never good for groups so you had to run solo for the most part… Crusader is such a strong concept if it only was recognized by the developers as such.

EDIT: Title changed to 30! Keep hope alive!

" I can do this all day " ~ Captain America

1 Like

Let’s hope for a great Crusader Rebalance in S30.

Over the course of S29 I will add several suggestions to each build. Crusader really deserves some love

1 Like