#SAVEBARBS: update Mortick’s to also increase damage by 50% while WOTB is active!

A proper Mortick’s nowadays should read something similar to the above, giving WotB the Slaughter rune and providing the effect quoted from Ulma’s post.

And this is a kind of item that requires proper testing.

Hope this helps you understand the mockery barbs feel regarding this particular item in this patch.

3 Likes

All this “% weapon damage” procs are useless since the multipliers on set bonus rised so high.

All the legendaries, gems and runes with this kind of effect are useless now. Maybe it’s time to replace “% weapon damage” by a “% damage on hit” calculated after all the skill, crit, elemental and whatever damage multipliers.

1 Like

So it gets 450% weapon damage per tic with insanity rune. Still takes 90 procs to equal one hota hit

1 Like

Naksilot HP drops to 0. Unless he has cheat death…

2 Likes

It’s tempting to reply with “Smoke Bomb!” like Krieger but I think I’ll hold o-- oh…

Correct. None of that is enough for 7 GRs, much less 4 GRs. I’m not talking about just WW, or IK, or even Vile Charge which capitalizes on the IK 6 bonus. You don’t seem to understand how damage multipliers stack up; as Ulma pointed out, there aren’t additional multipliers to benefit the rune. You get IK 6 and . . . that’s it. Compare that to, say, HOTA, where in the IK HOTA build, you get the IK bonus, Gavel, the bracers, Wrath, and leg gems. Arreat’s is a form of burst or instance-type damage.

Look, we’ve been over this. The bracers are doing very, very little to “buff” any build. It’s certainly not a meaningful buff as it addresses none of the core problems of the class, and it certainly won’t be piling on 7 GRs to anyone’s clears.

I don’t mean this as an insult, but you don’t understand how this game works for end-game pushes. PE, Toxin, Wreath, etc. don’t deal meaningful damage with any set. Those gems are never used for their damage; they’re used for their utility.

Here’s an even better example: Why does Avalanche deal zero damage in any and every MOTE build?

How much damage does Rend do in comparison to WW in the Zodiac WW build?

These questions are intended to get you thinking about how damage works in the game. They’re similar to the question: Why is the damage from the gems listed above always meaningless?

It’s not that simple. If you’d read our proposal and everything I posted in my threads, you would understand. The problem is much more pervasive and systemic.

Is it life or death?

No. We’re simply arguing our points.

Do we need you to tell us obvious things like, “It’s just a game!”

Absolutely not. You can choose to participate and be constructive, or you can simply not post. In other words, if you can’t be productive, you can at least stop trolling.

On the contrary, I have good reason to believe it means much more, whether or not X or Y made it into the patch. What’s more, our work goes pretty far beyond being “chair developers.” I don’t think you’ve read the proposal, and if you did, I don’t think you understood the work we did. List 1 are changes that would have zero impact on other classes–simple numbers adjustments to existing items that would grant Barbs what they need: intra- and inter-class parity. In other words, just those changes alone would suffice to do what I talk about at the end of this post: 2.6.6 and Barbs: A Measured Response

List 2 would do that and fix all the problems in our class–even server lag with WW. And again, the effect on other classes would be minimal. List 1 represents next to no issues for the game engine. List 2 would require far more testing and was always the dream list, the stuff we want but are less likely to receive.

I think you see the problem.

List 1 could have been included in this patch, easily, and without problem.

We didn’t even get that.

Read the link I posted above.

5 Likes

I think that’s my problem because I don’t see it.
Go to strikingly site and Ctrl+F; search “lag”, zero results; search “inner” or “inner cooldown” zero results; search “tickrate”, zero results. Not because you are entitled to comment on those because I doubt anyone around in this forums (this includes me) are eligible to make a comment but you have to realize problems on the technicalities are a bit deeper.

Also as I read from your proposal, one thing is obvious; Blizzard want you to stay as zdps. Look at Monk average clear and Barb average clear. Lowest ones, that’s the result of sharpened professions and will keep happening despite your best efforts. Just glanced over that as typed “server” word in the search along page line.

I’m glad we’re discussing this here and not in the main thread by the way.

It’s because they have their own excuse. They don’t wanna shake up the “meta”. That’s probably why they didn’t oblige for years, I bet. And why yes, that comment somewhere above nailed it on the head; “Blizzard just loves Wizards”. That’s just one aspect. Making Barbarians and Monks zdps is a way of pushing professions on the classes and they see it as the only way they can promote group play.

Tell them you don’t wanna get stuck in this whole meta thing, ask them to nerf the inner cooldown of procs (I’m looking at Dust Devils here) and reduce tickrate of DoT but increase damage. If they can not, then ask for a buff for Followers or Nephalem Glory through a passive (just like Crusader used to have), if anything to validate solo play somewhat while not hurting groups.
Engine is old and it favors burst damage above DoT that is WW spec.

You get their attention and word. Use it.

What’s the point of seasons if u cant “shake up” the meta ?

2 Likes

Ah, I see what you’re saying.

Okay, here’s the problem: The “lag” problem with WW has several components, but the simplest way to describe it a mixture of all the various ticks from WW and DDs, AD and Bloodshed procs . In truth, though, only Bloodshed is updating dynamically (along with the Zodiac ring procs). This is inevitable in the current form of the build because all our damage is front-loaded onto WW, and since that’s a channeling skill that relies on AD and Bloodshed, and since the Zodiac ring relies on mass bleeds, and since Parthans relies on mass Freezes, we have to fight in massive, massive density.

How do we fix that?

We divide the damage output between WW and Rend. If Rend did meaningful damage, we wouldn’t be as reliant on density. Our Ambo’s Pride would do that, and it’s capped, so there’s an upper limit to how much we need to pull in order to max out the damage bonus. Trash is going to die quicker. Elites are going to die quicker. Rend is not going exacerbate the problems caused by AD and Bloodshed, but it is going to nuke trash and leave us with fewer calculations over time as density thins out and we move on.

The other changes would assist in other ways, like getting Parthans, PoC, and IP out of the build, but that has much less to do with the problem.

As for the meta stuff, that simply isn’t true. Blizzard has gone on record saying they don’t balance around the meta, and with very few exceptions, that’s proven to be true. If they did, you would have seen triple Necro rats get nerfed, and you would have long ago seen zMonks and zBarbs disappear. All it would take is the removal of the Mob Rule rune on IP and zBarbs would be a thing of the past.

Our general feeling is: There was no excuse for not implementing the List 1 changes, especially after we were told that Barbs were on the table in the wake of not getting a single thing last patch.

Again, see my other thread where I analyze our patch history for a grim reminder.

Also, Monks are the second weakest class, only slightly more powerful than Barbs, so if you’re a Monk main, you should definitely organize your community the way we organized ours.

5 Likes

In his defence, Naksiloth can spell and has an understanding of maths.

Hey! The very same I was thinking about this self made truth-telling guy! :sunglasses::metal:

Man, I missed a LOT of nonsense when I replied this morning.

Naksiloth, I’ll ask that you take the advice that I and many other Barbs are giving you, which is this: Make a Barb, push, and learn. Or just spend some time reading the guides in the Barb forum. But until you can accept what we’re telling you, the facts we’re telling you, there’s no point to discuss any of this any further. So, please, no more talky talk, bud. You’re not generating productive discussion. All you’re doing is frustrating folk who, like me, have explained the same thing to you over and over and over and over.

Experts matter. Listen to the Barb experts. Don’t be like the many other folk and YouTubers who see shiny new items in the patch notes, get excited, and don’t bother to consider the finer points. The Barbs you’re talking to, the ones who are most vocal about their disappointment with this patch, are the most knowledgeable Barbs in the game. We know what we’re talking about when we say that a four year-old item (yes, Mortick’s dates from 2.2.0) does nothing worthwhile for any of our builds. Our very best items are two years out of date, we’ve been ignored for years, and our best specs are only our best due to gimmicky, broken exploits.

Barbs aren’t fine.

We know what we’re talking about. Hang out, read, and learn. But stop arguing.

I want to clear up a few last details.

Incorrect. Vile Charge and R6 HOTA are only as strong as they are because they’re able to benefit from wall-charging, a gimmicky, potentially broken mechanic that masks the relatively low damage of all our specs. In other words, our two strongest builds are only that strong because we exploit how the game lets us interact with terrain. It’s nearly identical to how Twister Wizards used to stack twisters.

If we didn’t wall-charge, we would lose several GR tiers on both builds–between 3 and 5 tiers, in fact. It’s hard to calculate exactly how much since the builds deal damage in radically different ways and use the exploit for very different reasons, but 3-5 tiers is the current tested estimate.

For more info on wall-charging, read my R6 HOTA guide in the Barb forum.

This is 100% true.

This, however, is not true.

In our proposal, both List 1 and List 2 do indeed fix Barb problems. They’re not “more technical” than they seem. We understand them quite well.

The problem is damage.

We can’t deal enough damage.

Our List 1 changes fix this at a very basic level.

Our List 2 changes fix this and fix internal problems in the class: broken sets, skills, and other problems. The only thing we don’t fix is wall-charging because that, unlike our other fixes, relies on a potentially major adjustment to the game engine.

For more info, read–don’t skim, read–the proposal in full.

End of story.

3 Likes

Before or after calculating your guessed numbers and spreading your guessed absolute truth would be a clever thing to test the results on PTR man. Actually I tried some builds. Mostly no sensible difference but IK6 works really fine with Mortick. I cleared 120 for 2nd try. Of course its damage is till a lot back to other classes but barbs have now another viable build to push with: more than nothing. So it is NOT true what you are speking about in your novels that there are no build benefits from Mortick!
Beside this I agree that the damage boost till very needed for all builds.

About WW build: on lower level that is the most stupid brainless build in the game ever I think. For push that needs a very-very skilled and decent technique. Check this guy tier: Diablo 3 2.6.5 Barbarian: WotW Whirlwind Solo GR119 | Season 17 - YouTube
It is just beautiful how professionaly he builds up his progression!

1 Like

Then one wonders if they’re utterly useless why they offered to activate all 5 runes. When I saw Slaughter I thought it feeds up Bloodshed from Battle Rage by offering area damage on crit chains appears I was wrong and 15 yards is small.
They should’ve done it in a way of only activating two runes; LpFS and damage mitigation, so Insanity would be a staple. No need for activating Wail or Slaughter at all. Right?

Will do. If I had one hour to waste and nothing else to do… Still, DoT is DoT and I doubt it’s that simple. Amping up DoT solves nothing, it’s still tickrate for server and increasing damage is promoting its use which means overall burden.

1 Like

UUUH 50% is too little at least 200%. That’ll put barbs in the range of other builds

There’s no guesswork. If you know the problems with the class, mathematically speaking, and you know what is needed, you can tell that Mortick’s offers no meaningful buff. Clearing 120 with HOTA isn’t because of the bracers, McCheese. It’s because you have 140 gems, 3.5k Paragon, and quite a bit of experience with Barb–it’s your main class!

We’ve explained this over and over–I have, Ulma (Archael) has, and numerous other Barbs who know their stuff. What I, what we, are “speking” is, in fact, true. This is not a meaningful buff, and true end-game pushes will put Mortick’s aside for Magefist. Even if it’s not, the item isn’t propelling any builds past their current power potential, because it doesn’t provide meaningful damage. 'Nuff said.

BTW, Lucky’s clear is in the Barb video archive in the forum. But be careful. Wouldn’t want you to read a novel or anything.

That’s a good question. While I can’t be 100% sure, here’s what I believe happened. When Nev told us last patch that they were working on Barbs, we got excited. Then we mobilized and did the proposal, which was covered by numerous YouTubers, Icy Veins, Diablofans, and countless posts here on the forums. Even Nev confirmed it had been passed on to the devs.

But clearly, somewhere along the way, the decisions was made to not work on Barbs this patch. That’s obvious now, and they must have anticipated the uproar that’s currently happening. So, to throw us a bone, they re enabled Mortick’s to drop. Remember, it was in the game back in 2.2.0, but at the last minute–without an announcement–they changed it so the item couldn’t drop (except on consoles, where it did continue to drop, but that’s another story).

In other words, they took the path of least resistance. Mortick’s needed no additional art assets since it was already in the game code. No new coding, either. Just flip the switch and BOOM. The item can now drop. And it’s so outdated compared to the current item power curve that they knew for 100% certain it couldn’t break the game. They also know that people still foam at the mouth for the item, even now, 4 years down the road, when it offers us nothing of value.

They played to optics. People saw Mortick’s and, I kid you not, proclaimed the second coming of Barbs. But the reality is, as we well know, very, very different.

I have to believe this is how it all went down, because the alternative is even nastier: They legitimately thought Mortick’s was a big, powerful buff for Barbs. Again, I don’t want to believe that, because it would mean the people working on the game do not understand the game upon which they are working.

6 Likes

Don’t care about your proposal.
You guys are mostly softies and I don’t play that way.
I did some testing on PTR yesterday and Mortick’s gives
3-5 Greater rift levels more.
Your math is wrong.
I tested same character on PTR and then on non seasons.
NEver tested all the jewelry or weapons yet, but Mortick’s was
a nice boost, especially for DR, which is important in HC.
None of you are devs, but think you can change numbers
and nothing will happen.
Doesn’t work that way with this old engine that runs D3.
I am done responding to you wanna be Barbs, but if any want to join
me in HC, self found, I welcome it.
Solo 100% though, that’s the only way to really test stuff, not this
ridiculous multi player reward system that gives you 10x exp, drops.

2 Likes

My best was 105 with IK HOTA. I’ll be on soon to see if it gets me 108-110. I’m gonna lose my Bracers of the First Man so BotFM will have to go the cube. That means I lose my Aquila Chest that was in the cube. The Wrath rune that reduces damage will equal the Aquila Chest so that’s a wash. I guess I don’t need to worry about have 90% wrath (wasn’t a problem before). So I will gain that free healing from the Wrath rune. I don’t think I gain anything else so I have doubts that extra healing gets me 3-5 more Greater Rifts. I’ll try though!

I went on PTR. Took off my Bracers of the First man and put on Mortics. Put Bracers of the First Man in my Cube instead of Aquila. I got a survival boost but not much damage increase and did not beat 110 in my first try (best was 109 before I thought it was 105 in my other posts but forgot since I hadn’t played in a while). Did I do something wrong in my setup with Mortics? I think I can get rid of blood thirst. Will try again.

Edit: ok I did 110 in 14:xx. Note: i did get an amulet upgrade of 20% fire from my S17 Necro so I don’t think the extra GRfit was from the new Bracer. I honestly do not think this Bracer is a big upgrade unless i did something wrong in my setup.

I´m the guy with the “7 gr jump” and would like to clarify some points that I have made hastily in another posting without thinking about it.

But first, i´m a barb only player ( or better was, after blizzard skipped the barb class again, i played crusader, also a great class, i liked it very much).

So now back to my posting regarding the 7 gr jump. It has nothing to do with the mortick bracers primarly. Like i said, i made the statement to hastily. The last season i played for the first time in 7 years another class. And after i read the patch notes i went to ptr and removed the dust from my barb. I tried directly a 115 and beat it (IK HOTA). My first thought was “wow those bracers are great”. But after a while i realized it had nothing to do with the bracers. I could have beaten 115 in 2.6.5 if i had tried to push hard (the dmg, the gear and the paragon was there) , but i never tried.

And when i tried 115 in ptr i had a very, very gg map, festering woods + conduit pylone, with 3 elites and 2 packs and the screen was full of mobs who gave me good progression. Second floor was similar, full of mobs and a power pylone with 2 elite and 1 pack around the pylone. And the RG appeared right in front of a speed pylone.

First i was so euphoric and thought " wow great bracers" but later on, i realized it had nothing to do with bracers. I had 2600 paragon, i saw people other people who did more than that (115 IK HOTA) with less paragon, and not so good gear.

Maybe the only thing this bracers gave me was life regernation with the lpfs. Thats it, nothing more nothing less, dmg wise they gave me nothing.

Hope this clarify it. Thank you.

btw: sry for my bad english :frowning:

2 Likes