S6 impale resource problems s26 T16 and higher even

Hi fellow DHs,

I am having woeful issues with resource management with my s6 impale DH. Typically, when farming T16, visage of gunes cubed and seethe rune have meant very few issues with hatred in the past. And I am talking every season since s12.

This season however, even on GR110, I am constantly running out of resource. And I mean, not here and there, constantly. It’s a real issue now.

Did the s25 patch change to the shadows set possibly mean the build is now even worse on lower tier content? Is anyone else playing s6 impale this season (or can test) and experiencing these issues? With the shards in s25, I cannot tell if the sliver of terror shard’s extra resources hid the hideous resource issues post new patch or not. I suspect that they did.

Can anyone test/confirm please?

Can you hit enemies multiple times or are oneshotting them? The Impale build is tricky in a sense that without significant passive regeneration your hatred drains quickly if you oneshot enemies. Only by hitting enemies multiple times is the hatred generation selfsustaining.

on T16, pretty much 1 shotting most mobs. But resource hasn’t really been an issue like it is now in any other prior season. That’s why I’m bemused.

Well, the soul shards did come with base effects of all regular gems which included the RCR of topaz in the helm shards. That combined with the RCR from paragon could explain the difference.

However Holy Point Shot triples the thrown knives and hitting several enemies each of them several times should in theory be more than enough selfsustain hatred.

When I farmed T16 with an Impale DH I ended up adding in a Hatred generator (think I used bolas) because it was horrible trying to maintain resource otherwise. Karlei’s only gives you back Hatred if you’re hitting mobs that have previously been impaled so any difficulty at which you’re one-shotting mobs means you don’t get the resource back. And that isn’t just for T16 rifts / bounties, it also affects low level / speed GRs too. Once nicely geared I think anything under GR100 is in danger of running out of resource.

I would agree with this assessment, but why is this now only becoming an endemic issue now in s26 and no previous season? That is what I am concerned with!

90 second GR105, with resource cost reduction setup for Impale DH…

1 Like

From what I remember from running impale years ago, you would also have to change rune when becoming too powerful to run T16 without hatred problems?

yeah, running ricochet impale rune, seethe rune for vengeance and visage in armour cube slot. Could pop a topaz in the helm, but never needed to before. It’s only an issue this season, never has been an issue in any prior season. That’s why I’m curious.

1 Like

I initially started last season with an Impale DH and had this issue, even with the soul shards so, no, it’s not just this season.

In S25 the 6p bonus of the shadow set was changed:

Impale deals an additional 75000% weapon damage to the first enemy hit, and 25000% to subsequent enemies.

Before the change, you probably impaled some enemies with ricochets or overpenetration without killing them with the first hit, so they could generate hatred through Karlei on the second hit. Now, every monster you hit with Impale dies instantly without the chance of being hit for a second time.

2 Likes

This is my suspicion. So the s25 changes to the set did SFA damage imho, and only harmed the build. That is, at least, my perception.

And you are at a disadvantage because you don’t use the Armory to quickly change builds.

yeah, I’ve never trusted the armoury. Too many weird things happened with it early on for me to ever trust it. Not sure if all of those problems have been fixed now, but that trust is hard to get…

You should use the Armory! It works quite well, even though someone fastidious like me gets annoyed when it puts my items in the wrong places. The only thing I’ve ever seen it get wrong is the legendary gems.

As to your original question, the only thing I can think of is you’re spamming Impale when you don’t need to. If you’re keeping Vengeance Seethe up permanently, then your hatred should be filling back in quite quickly, so just throw out your daggers once per second rather than at max attack speed. Maybe ignore small trash and only go for fatties and elites.

Other things that help: resource reduction rolls on gear, using Templar as your follower, Companion Bat, hate regen on quiver or chest, Preparation Punishment, Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac to bring up Companion and Preparation more often, Blood Vengeance passive.

2 Likes

This is a fantastic speedfarming passive. Especially with some pickup radius on your gear (or Avarice Band for T16). Basically every time you kill an elite you refill your hatred and discipline. I pretty much always run Blood Vengeance in my farming builds, means I never really worry about my disc.

Underrated passive.

3 Likes

I guess, but I am so used to running multiple characters now…old habits die hard!

I’m a bit loathe to swap out companion, as I play HC and really like having the boar rune for the extra toughness. But, I probably could get away with it on t16 farming.

I do need to improve on skipping smaller targets, that is a problem at my end, although I am much better at it than I used to be.

I already use the templar, but do use the 2nd cheat death passive, again, as I’m playing HC.

Blood vengeance passive is a great idea - I could easily drop out a current passive for it. I used this passive when levelling to 70 usually, so I am familiar with it.

Many thanks guys.

1 Like