S27 HotA - You get a hammer and you get a hammer

S27 Looks like it’s time to get the your fat dance pants outta the closet and crank up “You cant touch this” - It’s Hammer time.

Hammer of the Ancients hits in all directions around the Barbarian. Every seventh cast of Hammer of the Ancients unleashes a powerful shockwave.

The hitting in all directions sounds fun (to me) as I like the Saders Omnislash Thorns build. Life Per Hit skills might help a lot for HC mode too so I’m keen to test it out.

The Shockwave after 7 hits will probably only tickle monsters. This is Bluzz after-all, and their idea of “powerful” can sometimes mean diddly-squat.

Thoughts Barbros?

2 Likes

It looks funny. I can’t wait to see what happens concretely.

Sounds like your gonna need a resource generator cuz you only get the hammer hits 3 or fewer enemies

The reason you have the Gavel of Judgement is for when you’re fighting 3 or less mobs. If you’re hitting more than three mobs, you’re already generating more Fury than the cast of the ability costs and will be permanently at full Fury which is why HOTA hits so hard as it gains 1% extra CHC per 5 Fury you have.

1 Like

Yeah I have had fury starvation before with HotA and big mobs. It’s rare but it’s manageable. I’ll see how it goes in the PTR.

You can :

• use Furious Charge
  • use Whirlwind - Wind Shear if you play with it
  • take the passive Weapons Master
  • put a topaz in your helm and invest paragon points in Resource Cost Reduction but you loose some Life per Fury spent

But I don’t know if it will be enough and if it will be pleasant to play. If I had the right to modify the game, I would remove the restriction of the 3 targets and offer the Rolling Thunder rune to the Immortal King’s set to differentiate it from loD :smiley: .

Can’t see Rolling thunder rune really working for the theme? Interesting if it did.

Thats what I thought when reading s25 preview " players will inflict new forms of pain and suffering" and thought yeah right, another “blizzard style pain and suffering” until PTR—> OMG GG pain and suffering !!

Lets hope this “powerful” is POWERFUL

1 Like

Yup hoping Powerful is in all caps POWERFUL.

Looking at the other classes the Barb needs something with a lot a punch.

Normally this works great since even when enemies are fairly clustered, you generally hit like 3 enemies max per hit. Thus maintaining max Fury is a breeze. However the sanctified power for HotA makes it hit all around you and if you’re surrounded by enemies, you’ll be hitting more than 3 enemies per attack quite often. How will this affect Fury generation?

Until this is tested, i see this as a bit mixed blessing.

1 Like

What I was saying about the rune is a thought outside the season theme. But there is a link in the sense that it increases the number of targets that can be reached with HoTA.

You generate Fury for each mob hit and, if you’re hitting four or more targets, you generate more Fury than the ability costs to cast. The whole reason for the Gavel’s power is that if you hit 3 or less targets, the ability would otherwise cost more to cast than the hits generate. You can easily test this yourself by changing the rune on HOTA to Rolling Thunder which hits all mobs within 22 yards in a frontal cone. You could easily be hitting 20-30 mobs with that, and you’ll never run out of Fury.

Read the description again. It says “and it returns 25 Fury if it hits 3 or fewer enemies.” If it hits more than 3 enemies per attack, it won’t generate any Fury.

It does not generate more Fury per enemy hit.

If it hits 3 or less enemies, it gives you 25 fury back. If you hit more than 3 enemies, the hits generate more than 25 fury, so you don’t need any extra back.

If it hits more than 3 enemies, it does not give any Fury back.

It only retruns Fury if it hits 3 or fewer. If it hits more than 3 enemies, it’s no longer selfsustaining.

1 Like
3 Likes

Forget the fact that I mentioned the Rolling Thunder rune. I just wanted to share an idea of improvement I had for the Immortal King set. The fire rune is always the one to use.

If you hit more than 3 targets, you don’t get the 25 fury points. I put a video that illustrates this statement.

Just imagine if the power buffed seismic slam. That would be a funny thread!

1 Like

Tell us you’ve never played HOTA without telling us you’ve never played HOTA.

5 Likes

That was simply too witty to not laugh at. :laughing:

2 Likes