R.I.P. Travis Day

Like the title reads.

3 Likes

Context.

Announcement by his sister in-law Rachel Day.

Travis originally came to the notice of Blizzard when he proved the devs wrong on WoW Warriors back in Beta. Very much a theorycrafter person, he was hired and worked on WoW for 7 years. He moved to D3 for RoS and was part of the team that helped create a game that was what we have now. His game name was Indalamar (Ramaladni).

He left Blizzard in 2018 to go to Lightspeed-LA. He quit that job suddenly in May. His facebook discusses a lot of personal mental health issues.

There is no cause of death announced at this time. It is probably kindest not to speculate. He was much loved by his family and friends.

10 Likes

Wow, that is way way too young. RiP.

1 Like

God damn. Only 5 years older than me. So sad.

Very Sad, He looked like a very chill person. RIP.

He, John Yang and Wyatt Cheng used to do some live streams back when RoS came out. That was the last time we had some devs actually interact with the community.
RIP.

2 Likes

I always felt Travis Day’s leaving Blizzard was not what it seems.

The way he dealt with D3 was just fine.

The gaming industry is one of those behind closed doors kind of things.

R.i.p.

Way too young. Whatever the cause was.

We would see him on the Blizzcon panels for Diablo, only 41? Very sad.

Yes, he was on a lot of the public facing panels and video Q&A type sessions. I met him very briefly. Wyatt was the one who really liked to talk to fans/D3 players and really liked to share game dev theory so Wyatt was the one I mostly talked to.

Next to Chris Metzen, Wyatt was always my favorite, I do not care what the haters say.

Damn. That is terrible :frowning:

I wish more devs were like Wyatt in terms of willingness to talk about their game design. I wish devs are not like Wyatt when it comes to their actual game design.

Damn he was one of the OG’s, did a lot of great things for the game and community…sad. R.I.P.

He was there a long time. Hired in 2005 after WoW came out as a CS person, then went to QA, and eventually his theory crafting and design got him onto the WoW team as a game designer (items and classes I think). He switched to D3 for RoS doing similar things. He designed the D3 Ancients system for example. Not exactly “OG” but he was a very long term staff member who contributed a lot to Blizzard games.

2 Likes

Right I meant mainly for D3, I remember he’d reach out to the community with Q&A’s a lot even took a lot of ideas for classes and mixed it in with his vision of how he wanted things to be. Big part of what the game is today.

This is sad news. Definitely way too young to pass away.

Thank you for your work on D3 Mr Day.

Sure, there are aspects of itemisation that each of us might think could do with improvement but for how D3 turned out, we’re still here playing it and enjoying and Travis’ work added to that.

Always sad when this happens. Mental health is very important. If he was a super happy person he probably would not have been very good at his job. He was though. This is Diablo after all. RIP

If he was addicted to gaming that could have been the initial cause of his mental health problems. Blizzard (and many other devs) has viciously designed very addictive games and created a lot of addicts.

R.I.P. Mr. Day and thanks for the increased life you put into D3.

John Yang felt like the guy who knew what was going on. That guy played Diablo 3. Wyatt seemed to not have a clue, or more specifically a damn about d3. I would be interested to know what things Travis Day did for Diablo 3, but suicide is always tragic - if that was what it was.