Rings for GoD. Question/Test info --- Interesting results inside!

Recently, I have been unable to decide which ring stats are best for the demon hunter. I am open to suggestions if anyone has an opinion, however, I tested various ring stats on my own and found some interesting results and here they are.

Focus/Restraint (obviously)

When in lower level grifts lets say < 117 - 118, I noticed my dmg and times were best when using the combo of… (ancient rings, not primal) crit chance/crit dmg/extra dmg these stats are near max… ie 6.0% crit, 50% dmg, 154 - 210 dmg or whatever plus 120 augment, that’s a rough estimate and both rings being nearly identical except for some slight variation. The difference between the two being roughly 1 or 2 min between them on the remaining time. Tested 10 - 15 times. Remaining pretty constant. (Overall char area dmg: 140ish)

Here is the interesting part though, when I was in higher level grifts, lets say 119+, I found that a different ring stat combo worked MUCH better than the previous, that combo being… crit chance/area dmg/extra dmg. This provided not merely decently better results, but vastly better results. We are talking over 2 min of time improvement on a 119 from 3:45ish min (crit dmg) left to 6:20ish (area dmg) left on average. I did not test this merely once or twice, but probably 10 - 15 times with similar results every time. Not necessarily time, but the difference between the two stayed very similar. (Overall area dmg: 180%)

Now I did use a slightly different set between the two but I think they should average out roughly when considered. The differences are the following: Flavor of Time vs. Squirts and Vallas vs. Fortress. However, the two weapons have nearly identical stats, only the effect obviously is different. Offhand being dawn in both cases and the same dawn at that. I don’t think the squirts vs. Flavor made much of a difference because the results stayed the same regardless of what shrines I got etc… on the 2nd test, in other words, the time difference remained similar.

In conclusion, my guess as to why this works is that the crit dmg makes a bigger difference when hitting lower level monsters because they have overall less hit points to begin with. Whereas, in the higher level grifts, the area dmg scales so much more than crit dmg will, that it can on average, vastly out dmg the crit dmg increase. In the lower level rifts, if the monsters have a lot less hit points, then they can both take them down quickly and the difference is wasted in over damage (more dmg than is needed to kill the monster). Now, this is my GUESS here on the conclusion, but I think it might be correct. Also, I’m sure this wasn’t the most scientific test that could be done possibly, but it wasn’t just a run or two and then concluding that it made a huge difference when something small could have made a huge difference, such as lots of shrines vs. none. As I said in the beginning, I’m not saying this is the best combination, and I would love to hear from someone that has a better combo, because I have found finding the best ring for this class is very tricky. I thank you for your input! :smiley: <3

1 Like

have you tried comparing your 119 setup to one using cc/chd/area? i think 100 chd for 40ad is a pretty big trade. 15 rifts is still a small sample size, the distribution of 100% across each rift is gonna be vastly different, ie the same mobs on a different map will have a different outcome, not to mention diff mobs diff maps on 45 or so floors. also, if you were thinking “oh i have 40 extra ad, i need to group mobs more”, while that is true, if you werent focused on that as much with chd, you’d still be missing the other 140% very often. i think comparing the 2 solely on clear times is gonna be tough.

which set were you using vallas/fot for? 30s of conduit is probably worth 10-12+% itself in any given rift, so even a “bad” one can get smoothed out with things like that.

not saying you’re wrong necessarily, just pointing out a few of the many ways clear time is a tough gauge.

1 Like

When you’re pushing and you’re good at grouping, I’d take 40AD over 100CHD any day of the week and twice on Sunday. GoD kills at higher GR’s mostly with AD.

The zDPS Barabarian that exploits the current season theme is a living testament to this.

My question is… what is more important than clear time? It’s the entire point of this game. I don’t care what it is as long as it is lowering my clear times. Plus, what would you even bother to compare besides times? Plus, I’m not saying it’s always worth trading the CHD for AD… I’m just saying in certain circumstances it is better. Such as higher rifts, since the monsters take longer to kill, you usually just have more on the screen… more monsters = more AD. I think AD is superior to CHD when it comes to high level rifts. I think there are many examples that prove this generally to be true.

Have you tried CHD over CHC with GoD?

I’m finding CHD/AD > CHC when you have to choose one over the other.

And yes, clear time is a good indicator. When I test I use a GR lvl that I can clear 100% in 12 minutes or so. Now with the seasonal theme and missile dampening, you have to recognize outlier maps and just enjoy them then carry on testing. But if your normal setup is 100% at GR whatever, and your test setup fails in a map that you know you should clear, then you have a successful test. Also if your test setup clears a map that you know should be a 12 min map in 7 mins… then you have another successful test that should be pushed a bit to make sure that it wasn’t a fluke.

No, I didn’t. There is always the option too of dropping dex and going chd/chc/ad all together. I think this might actually be the best combo. Best of both worlds really. I’m sure the chc/chd both will out dmg 500 - 600 dex. I forgot a had a ring with these stats. Unfortunately, I don’t have two. Just a restraint (not even ancient). It would be nice if I could find that combo on both rings.

1 Like

i wasnt attacking the idea, im just stating some of the flaws in it. i also asked about cc/cdh/ad as that and dmg/cc/chd are the 2 most common.

the problem with testing using clear time is obviously that its a big variable. i was actually comparing ring stats on my build the other day using d3planner, and any improvement is small. going from 650 dex to 50chd (along with dmg and cc) is roughly 4% difference in dmg. while that is a lot overall, it will do absolutely nothing for clear times. the margin for error in clear times is VASTLY greater than 4%, so using it as a metric for such a small scale is going to be impossible.

if an avg clear is 12 mins, good and bad maps can easily push that range to 11-13 mins (prob wider, but lets go with that). thats a 17% margin (2 mins) already. trying to +/- 2-4% from a stat on top if that is not going to be noticeable at all. 3% is +/- 20 seconds.

there are certain programs that shall not be named that offer realtime dps, and in the game there are easily replicated mob packs you can test on, even if its no sets, no gear, just a no dmg wpn and 1 ring. doing that several times removes many variables and will give a much more clear perspective of damage output comparatively.

in an ideal dual wield setup, cc should beat chd because you have an extra emerald and your overall chd will be a much higher ratio. chd would only win out if you are missing it in a spot or two completely.

1 Like