Rift Guardian on different level

I was playing a Nephalem Rift and when I got enough points, it said kill the Rift Guardian, but I could not find it on the floor I was on, nor did I find it on the bit of the next floor down that I searched, then I looked on the previous floor again, I could not find it so I went up one floor and then it showed up. That’s ridiculous, the Rift Guardian should show up on the floor I’m on, not a different one. This is the first time I have had this happen and I don’t know if this is a bug or just some weird anomaly.

This season’s theme includes Shadow Clones. These are spawned when a shrine or pylon is clicked on, they last for one minute, and they cannot leave the map level on which they are spawned. The clones will continue to attack / kill mobs on the level they’re on, even after your hero has descended into a deeper map level.

So, in your scenario, you clicked a pylon, a clone spawned, you changed map level and continued with progression, but your clone was still killing stuff on the level you’d left, and the clone happened to get the kill that pushed the progress to 100% rather than your hero. The Guardian spawns on the map level of wherever 100% progression was reached and, in this case, that means next to your clone, who may well have despawned by the time your hero back-tracked up two map levels.

We queried this behaviour on the PTR. We received no response. It was put live like that. If it’s a bug, it’s one they didn’t acknowledge and didn’t fix. This far into the season, it’s just accepted as something we have to put up with.

1 Like

This only happens to players who skip trash mobs to farm Elites only.

Blizzard could fix this by coding the game to spawn the Guardian on the Player Character instead of spawning it on the Map where the “100% Progression kill” was made.