Rewrite Diablo 3

Hello everyone!
I know many of you, weren’t very satisfied (or at all) with D3’s story. I was ok with it… but it felt sometimes too cheesy, too predictable and lacking the serious horror and darknes from the first 2 games.
If you could rewrite D3’s story, how would you imagine it, what would you change? I’m thinking myself about what i would have loved to see in this story.

4 Likes

This article talks about 6 different plot types
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180525-every-story-in-the-world-has-one-of-these-six-basic-plots

1. Rags to riches – a steady rise from bad to good fortune
  2. Riches to rags – a fall from good to bad, a tragedy
  3. Icarus – a rise then a fall in fortune
  4. Oedipus – a fall, a rise then a fall again
  5. Cinderella – rise, fall, rise
  6. Man in a hole – fall, rise

I would love to see a Diablo game include a “fall” type of plot.

In the game Book of Y's 1, you were captured and thrown in a dungeon without any gear. But, for a real “fall”, the story would need you to keep failing for sometime. But, that may piss a lot of players off.

4 Likes

I would make the butcher actually terrifying (More gore like in D1, keep the original saying fresh meat, remove the rest), no abilities, more raw melee damage, chasing players around, remove fire pit.

Remove Magda (Yes i botched the spelling, i’m too lazy too look it up) completely.

Remove Maltheal, make the DLC all about Imperius betraying heaven (like everyone who payed attention to the original plot was expecting)

Make Adrea be a demon by sacrificing her humanity to become one.

Change it so the soulstone erupts, and diablo destroys the battlements (whats left after the explosion) before leaving with the goal of destroying heaven so then the main character goes to heaven to stop him.

Otherwise, not much else could be changed without a complete overhaul (this is too much of one already)

4 Likes

I much prefer Fall - Rise stories, Rise - Fall - Rise stories in close 2nd.

As for the topic, one thing I’d have liked is closure on Leah’s story, would’ve liked to save her soul.

Hopefully can do this in diablo 4 (if it happens)

2 Likes

I was thinking about “saving Leah”, “Diablo is end boss”, and “Linear story”.

End boss is a vampire.
Choices throughout game determines if he is Angel or Demon.
Secret ending has him as a Necromancer guarding Leah’s body waiting for the shard of Black Soul Stone with her soul in it.

Although, he could be an Act I boss.

1 Like

I would have changed it like this.
Act I
Keep the Tyrael story. But make Magda a good witch, helping them along Cain an the others to find the sword pieces and with lore and info. Make the cultists say nothing about their leader, keep him a mistery. Magda will guide us to the places where to go, and everywhere we’ll have obstacles, that shows to us without us knowing, like the king leoric, and the Butcher.
Change the Butcher fight, let it be in a randon room, with him coming to us from nowhere. Make him more difficult, mindless and savage. Killing him will get us the key to the secret room where the last piece of the sword is.

Act II
Make us save the prince that is begging us for help from his father possessed by Belial. As our first boss we’ll fight Asheara, the head of the imperial guards. Then Adria and Magda will tell us about the black soulstone, and we can do that part. But in one of that deserts they have to fight some big demon servant of Belial that we cannot win, and he just takes Leah with him leaving us barely alive. We finish the errand for kulle and reorganize for saving leah. After making the plan and spending the night, we wake up in our hiding with everybody slaughtered and the emperors child slaughtered. This enrages us more and we go to attack the palace directly, but Belials forces send swarms of minions and illusions in our way, making us to solve a puzzle about where to find him, and with Adria’s agic help we find a way to solve this and detect his real presence.
Then we find Leah tortured and almost dead, trying to tell us the truth about the situation but she is rendered unable to speak, by Belials magic. Then che child emperors appears as a ghost warning them that Leah is possessed by Belial and she must be killed, but Adria sees through the lies and makes a spell to reveal the true identity of Belial, him being the child emperor all the way from the beggining and infiltrating in our team to control and mislead us, and also to find the Diablo possesed leah and to try and kill her or dominate her sleeping demon. But because of Adria he fails, and then we fight him.

To be continued.

1 Like

Be able to rewrite Diablo III
We can have a little imagination, but it is possible, sure
For today I will speak only Act I
Until Maghda enters Dechar Cain’s house all the same …
I burst cakes to the Wicked Witch and while I die I continue to activate all my active / skills while I not only see his death but also the disintegration and no longer comes out in the game
The exchange for another less evil witch and I happy
Cain is saved by the Nephalem (Myself)
And then he would have told me that about;
wait and listen …

Then he would accompany me for the rest of the Act, always by my side without separating from me, well to Leah also in the moments that Dechar Cain awaits me in Tristan
And be able to kill along with him King Leoric and then the Butcher
The essence of his book, Cain’s book, was always important during his absence, but insufficient because of the importance of this arcane wizard versed in magic, called the last of the Horadrim
:cow::ghost:

1 Like

Act III

Azmodan made from the mountain of Arreat a mirror of his hell. There should be 7 sections in it mirroring the 7 sins, and in each there should be a miniboss or boos. Don’t let Azmodan show himself or talk during the act, let the story be told by his minions rather, like the bosses of the 7 sin hells and also MAgda and Adrya. Make some sort of labyrinth or puzzle about finding Azmodan in the mountain. Also make his fight more difficult, and with lots of traps, changing conditions of the battle, using tricks and minions agains us. Azmodan is all about tactics and using every mean, no matter how unfair, for killing us.

Act IV

After we defeat Azmodan and seal his soul into the Black Soulstone. Magda steals the stone and Leah with her. We go after her to find her with the stone inside her head just like the old dark wanderer and being possesed by the 7 evils, but her possession is unstable and her form is always changing assuming some forms of one of the 7 periodicaly, while she has a different form, she also has different attacks. The truth is Magda always wanted the stone for herself, she believed the the 7 evil should be controlled by her and the humanity, making her the most powerful witch\demon in the universe. She also knew about Adria and Leah and she didn’t want her to have the stone because Adria was serving only Diablo, Magda instead was fighting for humanity, even if she had to use the demons for that. She tries to warn us about this while we fight her, but we of course don’t want to believe her. She tries also to kill Leah but her possession in the end is imperfect because she is not a good and strong enough host for the 7 sins so we defeat her in the end. Dying she says to us one last time, to kill Leah if we want to avoid the end of the days and also that she did everything for the humanity.

After that we come back to the city of barbarians to heal Leah and rest after the fight. Cain was taking care of her. And then during the night, we hear a strong explosion. We wake up, and the city is burning. We run where Cain is, and see Adria stabbing Leah with the black soulstone and summoning Diablo. He arises then and as his first action, kills Cain, enjoying the opportunity to kill personally the last of the horadrim and the one that was so many times in his way in the past. Then he opens the portal to the heavens and goes there to confront the Angels.

We follow him, and find a defeated and weakened Imperius, that is too pride to let us go and fight him, a fight that we easily win, so he has no choice but to let us go after Diablo. Diablo again, DOESN’T TALK. He just leaves everything in ruins, fire, corruption and terror. We find only the consequences of his deeds and try to fight his corrupted minions or summoned demons from hell. Make some new demon as his leutenant and boss, no more old demons that we already defetead in the past games. Find or free also the remaining angels of the Angiris Councils that should give us help, advice or some blessings to fight against Diablo. Diablo concealed his presence by creating fake ways towards the Crystal Arch in order to delay our coming. We have to find the seals that are generating his magic. After finding and destroying all 5 of the seals we find the right way towards the Crystal Arch where Diablo was already in process of corrupting it, but as soon as we enter there he ambushes us with his trademark remarks, ro something similar like “not even heavens will save you from me”. He HAS to be the hardest boss of the game. Period.

To be continued…

1 Like