Returning player from 2012; a few questions

Hi! I’ve decided to give Diablo 3 a go again and just looking for some answers (I tried to search previous posts but many are years old or dont have answers I was looking for) I have come up with a few questions but I will probably have more later on. Note: I currently only have the base game as I was going to give that ago again before I purchase RoS.

1. I see people starting with a character that can use the waypoint to move across all acts? (I can only start Act 1)

2. People have been able to get 5mill gold and a bunch of items at level 1 (How do I unlock this?)

3. I was reading on the icy veins website I can only get 1 character's season gear? Is this important gear that I will use all season and will lock me into playing only 1 character?

4. Is trading a thing? Reading on various posts makes it look like I will only be able to transfer items across people that are in my party at the time of the drop? (I dont know anyone that plays this game anymore so I guess trading is a not going to happen for me?)

5. Is buying the necro DLC of any use if I dont plan on playing necro class itself? Or buying the eternal collection aswell and getting the extra stash tab worth the extra money? (having the base game already makes me not want to do this)

6. Is gold still worth anything? I remember going from Diablo 2 into 3 made it seem gold was abit more valuable is this still a thing?

Anyone that can help me understand these questions or point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Until you purchase RoS there is very, very little you can do. Forget about seasons.

Buy the Eternal collection and get all the bells and whistles.

2 Likes

I would personally recommend buying RoS if you plan to play the game at all.

About 99% of anything you read online about the game is about RoS, because no one plays the base game anymore, and 99% of the current game is locked behind RoS. The campaign is more like a tutorial to get you familiar with the concepts now.

As for your questions here:

1. The ability to use the world map to teleport anywhere is the world is a feature of RoS and Adventure mode. Without RoS, you are confined to the campaign.

2. You are referring to the Challenge rift rewards. This is also a part of RoS, and is an important part of starting the season off strong.

3. Anything related to seasons is locked behind RoS. They are referring to the rewards for the season journey and it is a full set of level 70 gear for your class that will provide a huge damage boost and start you on your way to farming whatever gear you want. It is just a tool to help you get other gear faster, and you will soon replace it with better pieces of the same set or a different set. Without RoS, you can only reach level 60, so you would not be able to use this gear without RoS anyway, even if another player gave pieces of this gear to you.

4. Trading is not really a thing anymore. It is more like sharing. Items that are dropped by mobs have a 2h timer on them and can be shared among players who were in the same game when the item dropped. No one looks to receive anything in return for sharing items anymore since the chances of 2 players getting an item that the other player needs are astronomically low. People generally know what items are good or desirable, and drop them in town, and people pick up what they might need, or leave other pieces for anyone who needs them.

5. I think you are looking at this one backward. You can not use the Necro properly without RoS. There are some cosmetics that come with it, along with stash space, but none of that matters if you are not playing RoS. I would recommend buying RoS, then watching videos and researching the Necro class before buying it, but certainly not before you have RoS. I have the Necro DLC, and I rarely play it. However, I enjoy the cosmetics, and stash space and am glad to own it.

6. Gold is mostly used only for empowering Greater Rifts, which is a part of RoS. Gold can not be bought or traded, but there are many powerful ways to obtain it. Boon of the Hoarder gem, and Vaults with Gold find gear, are a few ways. All of this is only relevant in RoS.

My recommendation, is that if you are considering playing the game at all, that you purchase RoS. If you like the base game, and want to play what you see online, you will not be sorry. Any videos or posts you see about the game are about RoS, and have nothing to do with the base game.

The game begins at level 70.

1 Like

Besides the Cosmetics, you get 2 extra Stash Tabs and 2 extra Character Slots.

If they already have D3 they should only purchase RoS and possibly the Necro Pack. (Preferably, when they’re on sale).

You can also increase your Character Slots by 2 if you upgrade RoS to the Digital Deluxe Edition.

Figured if they bought the bundle it would be cheaper than individually. And I meant the Digital Deluxe. Haven’t looked at the store in quite a while.

Currently (not on sale) they would still save $5.01 USD by purchasing them separately.

Eternal Collection Reaper of Souls Necromancer
$39.99 $19.99 + $14.99

Upgrading to RoS Digital Deluxe Edition is always an extra $19.99. (It’s never on sale). And that’s regardless of whether you buy the bundle or separately.

Bundled Separately
$39.99 $34.98

They could possibly save more when they’re on sale. (Between bundled or separately that is. Obviously, they’ll save more when they’re on sale).