Rend WW stacking on console

I’ve been giving this build a bit of a run, currently with focus/restraint etc for speeds, but starting to look at pushing with coe/stricken and possibly rage flip to stack… curious with rage flip how console players find is it dependent much on targeting to pull in unstacked mobs to be effective? ie is it worth going down this path on console?

Curious also how dependable squirts is to push with since Stricken is probably going to push out Gizzard to protect it rather than dropping Trapped (seems like dependable dps) or Taeguk (seems essential). Taking 50% extra damage at times seems like it will put more pressure on defensive features too.

I dont have close to a quad physical squirts anyway, so could get more from a different amulet. There is the option to bring in soj to get physical % up while using a different element quad squirts or something else.

1 Like

A WW/Rend Barb is almost constantly being hit, which means for almost your entire GR you’ll be at zero stacks of Squirt’s, i.e. no bonus damage, no extra damage taken. The reason the amulet is taken is for when you get a Shield pylon as this allows you to quickly rise to 10 stacks, giving you a 100% damage bonus for the duration of the Shield. After the shield expires, the first hit you take will reset you to zero stacks again. For fishing high-end pushes, you’re looking to get a Shield (100% extra damage due to Squirt’s) and a Power (400% extra damage) so that you have a 10 times damage bonus whilst they’re both up.

Essentially the only time you need to worry about Squirt’s stacks is if you’re running through areas without any mobs, and then the first mob you encounter is nasty, like a goat spearman.

3 Likes

Interesting… so I probably haven’t pushed that far with this build yet to be coming up against those kinds of needs (fishing), but I get what you’re saying.

I know it is suggested to use the rage flip thing, but I never do; gave it a shot once and it just threw off my balance and play with an extra button to have to press. I prefer to just group up with the stomp. Having Band of Might ensures I get very good damage reduction. I also don’t use Squirt’s as you basically have to find a shield pylon - I don’t like to fish in this game, so looking for a “perfect rift” is just a no-go, most every time (I’ll fish for a good one to accomplish something like “do a rift in under 2 minutes.”)

1 Like

Rage Flip is definitely the way to go for high pushing and once u get the hang of it, it’s pretty fun. By high pushing j mean fishing. Just takes a little practice. Remember that it will always throw enemies directly behind u, so stand in front of where u want to pull enemies/elites.

A good way to get good practice is make a zbarb since barb basically pulls and groups enemies

1 Like

I had it on the bar for a short while to try it out. It seemed to get single targets sometimes and multiple other times. It was handy to pull stragglers in that were outside stomp range occassionally at least in that way I had tried it.

I may try fishing if I’m keen, but I’m also aware I have a bit of a mental barrier with a game requiring that to progress. If I’m keen to push the build forward I may give it a shot though.

I can see how it might be different in an open map and building up a large pull, maybe I’ll give fishing a go at some stage just to get a feel of that.

Most of the best WW/Rend clears involve the Festering Woods and/or Battlefields of Eternity maps for exactly this reason, i.e. you can pretty much pull every single mob on the map into one massive clump, preferably next to something like a conduit pylon, and then get crazy progression as it all dies.

1 Like

In some games mobs will break agro at a certain point of distance. This doesnt happen in D3?

Guessing you’d be wanting to avoid any slow type effects doing this either way.

Mobs in D3 have crowd control resistance, which builds up the more you control them until they become immune to it. The immunity will gradually wear off whilst you’re not controlling them. This means that things like Ancient Spear have to be used sparingly, otherwise you’ll end up not being able to yank the mobs to you.

However, there’s no such thing as leashing / breaking, like you’d see in an MMO where if you drag a mob far enough from its standard patrol path it’ll run away and reset.

Yes, and that includes skills on your follower (if solo’ing) that can cause it, as that builds up mobs’ CC immunity, preventing you from flipping them.

Here’s an example of the sort of stacking WW/Rend can manage on a Festering Woods map…

So it seems like sometimes the mobs dont follow him when he moves out of range, sometimes they do and flip is used to bring some of the left behind ones in… and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesnt… like it’s all not too much of a precise science, but he still gets his big stacks to push up the effect of area damage even though some mobs are left behind.

My use of slow effects comment was more about not hampering mobs being able to follow in a timely way… again we see rage flip compensating when mobs are left behind.

I suspect rage flip on console can work in the same way I see in the vid for pc… I’ll mess around with that a bit. Still feel of two minds whether this is desirable gameplay, but its clear it’s linked to progression come a certain point in going up through GRs.

The closest I’ve come to that in an MMO was doing massive dungeon room pulls into camped AoE for PLing our alts… fully effective, both are means to an end I guess. Something just feels different in D3 with that for me… not sure I’ve put my finger on what it is. The graphics behaviour might have something to do with it for me.

Not just WW/Rend… All the top clears always have those maps or the Silver Spire with multiple rooms. Its awesome getting like 12+ purple orbs on a conduit pylon.

the spear flip works but it is not as good as it is on PC, since it is harder to aim on Console. You can still do it but it takes more practice to get good at it.

I ran it a few times and noticed it being quite hit and miss… maybe I give it another go if you say it can be made more reliable with practice. I’ve used shouts in it’s place mainly which are handy to get fury going and other utility, but they can tax cooldown reduction a bit too.

I completely gave up on the Spear: It was just to hard to target it, and it took time from just Rending and Whirling like a maniac. With a Zodiac you can afford the CD restes to use shouts and still be perma-berserk (CDR on all gear and Enchantress equiped)