Remaster aka paint job, why not remake?

Diablo 2 was first of its kind 20 years ago. The big bang was that there wasn’t much else to play back then. The game market has exploded and Blizzard is planning on keeping the game basically as is with minor improvements to the old game? Not good enough. Sorry. Why doesn’t anyone ask the question… why does the game end at Baal? I just killed the most Evil beings on Earth. Why don’t I meet god? or angels? Sure Diablo 3 covered this, but honestly who plays that game that is a hardcore Diablo 2 player? Why doesn’t the 20 year old game continue. I’m sorry but the way the game is it will be so pretty for a couple seasons and go out of the lime light yet again. I want more. Make me a king after Baal. Does the game always need to be dark and hateful? What if after Baal we see what happens with the cleanup from the destruction from the worldstone? Evil demon cleanup? Diplomacy for awhile with other nations? Positive magic? What happens? What if we become a ruler or leader of a small clan and help with demon cleanup. We help people with killing new bosses. Maybe the worldstone was the connection to heaven and hell. Maybe now we need to re establish the connection because now humans are corrupted by the lack of religion. Maybe our souls need a place to go and The Paladin is the only one that can lead the worthy to salvation and the evil to their doom. Maybe we fight evil beings who have sprung from the new world order of people. PvP and your army of your nation vs other players and the army and their nations. Land conquest. Until you find and ancient Diablo worshipping race who have opened a new portal to hell and have resurrected the infamous Diablo with a demon ritual. Now we have to put the armor back on to find the portal. But in order to do this we have to re establish the connection to heaven because thats where are holy magic comes from. So we fight demons with mortal swords and shields until we find the connection to heaven. Then we become the character we’ve always dreamed of being. Blah blah blah long story short we fight Diablo in his sanctuary but in the midst of fighting he corrupts our soul and Baal consumes your character. The end? Then you hear your dad is the new Baal and you have to go kill him. Just saying maybe my story is completely stupid but at least someone is trying to come up with a story board for a 20 year old game Blizzard… Common. Don’t just put a paint job on a dead as is pile of you know what

2 Likes

Need to hit the return key there every now and then. I was gonna read this and reply, but was critted to death by the Wall-O-Text.

5 Likes

Most things I won’t agree with you here, but this one. This is a serious tl;dr.

1 Like

Not sure what tl dr means. Thnx for the advice. I’ll make sure to hit the return key.

A remaster is the best thing we could possibly hope for tbh.
There is no point in a “remake”. That is called Diablo 4 (or Diablo 3, shudder)

2 Likes

tl;dr = Too long; didn’t read

Foot notes from OP - This game was popular when there wasn’t many other games being pushed out. Why are they just adding new makeup to the same pig, instead of building upon it and adding more content?

OP is concerned the game will launch and leave the lime light quickly due to the lack of modernization changes.

<insert several what-if scenarios here of OPs dream version of Diablo 2>

• wants to be ‘the king’ after killing baal
  • suggests a possible change to the dark gritty nature of Diablo
  • What if we see what happens after the worldstone is destroyed (this is the plot of Diablo: Immortal)
  • Mentions becoming the leader of a new clan (not sure if they mean clan support, or like your character being the head of Sisterhood of the sighless eye for example, and going on quests with that faction)
  • New Bosses
  • insert a lot of suggestions that seem to go against the all ready established lore of Diablo
    --------------------------------------------------/end tldr OP--------------------------------------------------

So, the biggest issue here, they have a target audience. Every change they make to the game and be a make or break for this audience so launching with several radical changes could ultimately cost more money than the game makes.

I won’t go into the pro/anti change things, as you can find plenty of posts on the topic all ready. With out taking an active stance either way though, I think from a business stance Letting the game run exclusively as a remaster initially will get the most bang for its buck. After the shine wears off and it’s “core audience” is developed, that is likely the time when the developers should start looking into updating and possibly changing the game. What form that will take is going to be up to Blizzard. I’m not sure these grand changes are on the table with out additional ways for the game to make money beyond box copies.

2 Likes

My god, mucho texto.

Your sentiment that you wrote is a cool thought. Wish you would break into paragraphs so people would read it. But yes, after D2R has been out for a little while more content could be very, very cool.

Thank you for giving me motivation strollin.

My motivation here is to open discussion on what would make the game better besides the graphics reboot and pledge, not promise by blizzard to fix issues.

Diablo 2 was first of its kind 20 years ago. The big bang was that there wasn’t much else to play back then. The game market has exploded since and Blizzard is planning on keeping the game basically as is with minor improvements to the old game? Not good enough. Sorry. Why doesn’t anyone ask the question… why does the game end at Baal?
And don’t say play Diablo Immortal. This is a pc game, not a mobile game lol.

Diablo 2 ends at a high point of killing the most Evil beings on Earth. Why don’t I meet god? or angels? Sure Diablo 3 covered this, but honestly who plays that game that is a hardcore Diablo 2 player? And lets be honest, Diablo 3 fell way short of being a follow up to Diablo 2 LOD. Why doesn’t the 20 year old game continue. I’m sorry but the way the game is it will be so pretty for a couple seasons and go out of the lime light yet again. I want more.

Some story lines after Baal? Same game play that everyone loves, but more content? Even story? What if after Baal we see what happens with the cleanup from the destruction from the worldstone? Evil demon cleanup?

*Make me a king after Baal, of my people, whether Paladin, Barbarian, Druid etc.

*Does the game always need to be dark and hateful? Diplomacy for awhile with other nations? Positive magic? What happens? What if we become a ruler or leader of a small clan and help with demon cleanup. We help people with killing new bosses.

• Or everybody converted to Atheism and The Paladin is the only one that can lead the worthy to salvation and the evil to their doom. Or with Atheism We teach the religion forgotten of the Paladins to fight the oncoming hells minions.

• Maybe we fight evil beings who have sprung from the new world order of people.

*PvP? Your army of your nation vs other players and the army and their nations. Land conquest?

*You find an ancient Diablo worshipping race who have opened a new portal to hell and have resurrected the infamous Diablo, Baal, with a demon ritual.

*New Lords?.. Gluttony? Lord of Sloths? Lord of envy? Should we get religious because obviously the game is based on heaven and hell. Blizzard obviously has an opinion on god and satan right? lol

*Once the story is set for the expansion, we have to put the armor back on.

*The worldstone was the connection to heaven and hell. Now we need to re establish the connection to heaven because now humans are corrupted by the lack of religion or Atheism. Our souls need a place to go. We are corrupted as humans. We have to find the new portal that opened hells gates to kill hell’s minions. But in order to do this we have to re establish the connection to heaven because that’s where our holy magic comes from. So we fight demons with mortal swords and shields until we find the connection to heaven. We have to fight demons which is next to impossible keeping the same difficulty of Diablo2 LOD.

Then we become the character we’ve always dreamed of being. Blah blah blah long story short we fight Diablo in his sanctuary but in the midst of fighting he corrupts our soul and Baal consumes your character. The end?

*Then you hear your dad is the new Baal and you have to go kill him. New expansion Blizzard!!

I’m just throwing out ideas here and my story might be completely stupid but at least someone is trying to come up with a story board for a 20 year old game Blizzard… Common. Don’t just put a paint job on a dead as is pile of you know what with all Diablo 2s issues. Remember the update that gave us all the great gear that made the game awesome? 1 item being the Enigma? Keep it going Blizzard!!! It was the start, everything beyond it so far has been sub par.

Hope this is readable!

2 Likes

Much more readable! :wink:

I think VV/Blizzard are first of all getting D2R out in place, with the graphics update being (obviously) the draw card, (though I also hope for QoL additions/bug fixes).

Additional content, which is more or less what you’re talking about, I think, would be much further down the track, and indeed, would only happen if the sales of D2R justified it in Blizzards mind.

There’s no chance (imho) of additional content at or any time near after release though.

1 Like

Isn’t that what $hitty Diablo Immortal was supposed to do? Fill in the gaps between D2 and junk a$$ D3?

And no, when you remaster a game you remaster it. You don’t add random $hit to it. Go play D4 when it comes out if you want a new game, don’t barge into the D2 community and demand absurd changes that aren’t meant to be there.

1 Like

Diablo 4 is your “remake” if you will.

2 Likes

Please edit your wall of text by adding paragraphs to make it more readable. It will make it more enjoyable to read. Thanks.

After D2R is out for a while, I would love new content in the D2 world that is still D2 (don’t take away D2’s controls or systems, don’t console ize the game for these “modern gamers” that think they can only play a game with a skill bar).

If it’s a D2R expansion, players can always play D2R vanilla.

I wonder if they could make a second expansion that is 100% a new game with the new art and graphics without losing the original feel of the original game.

1 Like

They are. It’s called diablo 4.

Keep dreaming. That game will be garbage, just like D3 and D:I.

i have a feeling they did not dare to do that, because while some of us wishes more would happen while still keeping the main plot intact, others cringe at the thought of new writers having to continue on the old plot. different mindset and ideas. i think most who have done any creative project that took time has experienced some fear of ‘changing’ their project, because their mindset is different today than it was yesterday

what would be really cool… is if they managed to create an aftermath game that involves nearly zero fighting. i think this is a real challenge. hard to imagine an rpg without fighting. yet fighting isnt the only thing you can roleplay. its quite an enigma to me personally. any games that dont include fighting but includes progress we just call simulators

I am one of those who wouldn’t want the story continued by new writers. The writing style of Blizzard lorewriters is completely different from the style the lorewriters of Blizzard North had. I am currently doing a run of Diablo 1 and paying attention to all the lore bits, like books and npc dialogue, and that stuff reads like a well writen oldschool-style dark fantasy novel. D2, too, followed that style. Blizzard lore, however, as evidenced by D3 story and lore books, is much more inclined towards high fantasy. I’m fine with that in D3 and D4 (although the dialogue writing in D3 was awful, the lore books at least were decent), but having a complete stylistic change in storywriting in D2 just wouldn’t sit well with me. Unless they hired the original storywriters, which is very unlikely.

Uhh what wall of text?

Edit: you must have replied to me by accident.