Release in december was basicly confirmed

If they don’t test it with a high load, there are bound to be issues when the game is released… I’m sure Blizzard wants a smooth launch for D2:R, they don’t want to have to put the game on hold shortly after release to fix issues that may take a while to hammer out. An open beta would be the smart move to ensure a smooth launch for D2:R.

1 Like

Well yeah but long open MP beta 6 months before release? I am not the IT guy, but even virtual servers do cost money right? :slight_smile:

Todays servers don’t break a sweat hosting Diablo 2. Systems are well over 1000 times faster than they were back in 2000. The original game is still the beating heart of D2:R.

Virtual servers cost money to run. You need the server infrastructure of course. The others are services such as power, internet and of course the IT staff to keep everything running.

3 Likes

Or they can just cut the last season, and release the game as they planned when it’s ready before 6 months.

1 Like

While I can see them announcing final ladder reset before release can be concerning, they did say the ladders would not have same cadence. Og will be that 6 monthish it has been, but D2R will have shorter ones, thus this reset should have no bearing on release.

1 Like

All this says is that D2: R will release sometime after the Ladder reset of June 11th, not necessarily after the Ladder ends which is usually beginning of December. Since they have said that it will be releasing 2nd half of the year it will be between July 1st to December 31st. Beta will probably be sometime this month, or July. Release will probably be sometime after that depending on how much work they’ll have to do on the feedback from the Beta. That would put release anywhere between August to December! :slight_smile:

17 Likes

They also SAID in the SAME POST that the D2R seasons will NOT coincide with D2 classis seasons…they will be on SEPERATE timers…so NO that post didn’t confirm ANYTHING

14 Likes

Haven’t you people noticed every game that does not have a release date yet shows December ? That’s normal.

2 Likes

This doesnt change anything what I said. If current ladder season will end december 27, we can already have announced D2R season starting few days after. Just a few days wil make separated timers. It doesnt have to be months, htey just most likely wanted clarify that it will not be in exactly same time.

Not that any of this matters but for discussion D2R is slated for 3 month seasons and D2 is 6 months atm. I don’t think it would be too bright to have the start times near each other but then again D2R will be the go to so doesn’t matter really.

This is the last reset so it’s a 6 month window for D2R, nothing we didn’t already know :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does change what you state as a fact, though. There is a flaw in your logic being that you seem to think we have to wait until after the next D2 season ends before D2R can launch. What the post really says is that on June 11th we will have the last reset before D2R. Meaning a potential release date is from June - December.

Now I don’t have any strong meanings around when the actual release will be, but saying that it has to be in December based on that post is factually wrong

2 Likes

Dont you think it would be weird that they said its last season before D2R and then for example in middle of season released D2R season? Why not just let everyone finish their season and then people can decide if they want to go to fresh d2 or d2r season. It just does make sence to me more than releasing D2R in middle of D2 Season.

Perhaps, I’m not sure. To me it wouldn’t matter either way, because I think the vast majority of people would quit D2 season on the spot to pick up D2R. My point was not what seems most reasonable between those two, but that one cannot present a December release as a fact based on the information given.

1 Like

Exactly, thats one of the reason why i think that they will let season end normaly so player can switch to D2R as season ends. I think many players would want to finish their last season. For many its part of their gaming history, last season will be kind of iconic, maybe actualy last one with bigger player base as it might start dying fast after D2R.

In a way, classic D2 might be more clean after D2R starts as most likely majority of bots will go there.

They said it wont be following the same seasonal timelines either, You are not reading it as they are intending it.

They said, this SEASON will be the last before D2R, not D2R comes out AFTER this season, They clearly stated it will have a different seasonal Cadence as well. Best guess at this point is every 4-6 months, starting in september release ?

2 Likes

The Devs have stated, and the D2: R homepage says more frequent restarts. They’ll probably go with either a 3, or 4 month Ladder season since both numbers go into 12.

It’s a possibility. If D2: R does release in December and the Ladder seasons are 3 months:
D2 Ladder reset: December, 2021
D2: R 1st Ladder: December, 2021
D2: R Ladder reset: March, 2022
D2 Ladder reset: June, 2022
D2: R Ladder reset: June, 2022
D2: R Ladder reset: September, 2022
D2 Ladder reset: December, 2022
D2: R Ladder reset: December, 2022
Notice difference in length of each reset whether it’s D2/D2: R is 3 months, 3 months, 3 months, 3 months.

If D2: R does release in December and the Ladder seasons are 4 months:
D2 Ladder reset: December, 2021
D2: R 1st Ladder: December, 2021
D2: R Ladder reset: April, 2022
D2 Ladder reset: June, 2022
D2: R Ladder reset: August, 2022
D2 Ladder reset: December, 2022
D2: R Ladder reset: December, 2022
Notice difference in length of each reset whether it’s D2/D2: R is 4 months, 2 months, 2 months, 4 months.

In this situation if D2: R releases in December and the Ladder seasons are 3 months every June, and December they’ll have Ladder resets for both D2, and D2: R! If D2: R releases in December and the Ladder seasons are 4 months every December they’ll have Ladder reset for both D2, and D2: R!

2 Likes

Vicarious Visions is doing a huge mistake If the game only has 3 months ladder. 4 months is ok, but less than that is too short.

6 Likes

I suspect that many players have seriously underestimated how bots affects seasons and the trade economy. This has implications for he length of seasons. 3 months seems awfully short with the drop rates in D2.

6 Likes

I have no idea how many people currently play D2 season but I would bet it’s a tiny fraction of the people that will be playing D2R during first week of D2R launch.

I don’t think Blizzard is basing any plans on interrupting current D2 season to launch D2R - I think if they had it ready, polished, and had already done full open beta and so on, they would just launch it.

So I think they are just burning the oil to get the next Beta out and then, after that, they will just burn the oil to launch. I don’t think D2 ladder season end date is going to impact their plans.

4 Likes

I’d put money D2 gets released before December, the blues have already said the ladders will be on different timers to the og version of the game.

I’d be willing to bet it comes out sometime this summer than any time in the winter.

3 Likes