Real talk.. Wizard feels clunky & slow

I’ve played wizard as an alt in a few season, including the current S27, and the playstyle just seems clunky & slow.

Do people really enjoy playing these builds? I realize there is massive nuking power, but the delay of casting meteors combined with slow movement speed is very underwhelming.

Compare that to DH, barb, crusader, monk… I just don’t find wizard fun to play. I used to play the hell out of the sorceress back in the day, and the wizard in this game is/has been a huge let down.

Before you get into the “did you build it right” yadada, of course I did. But the mechanics just don’t feel good compared to other classes.

3 Likes

There are multiple “infinite teleport” builds for Wizard. Even without the Sanctified powers from this season. Firebirds, DMO, Tal Rasha’s and even Typhon’s all have ways to blink around the map and be among the fastest builds in the game. The only “problem” is that unlike Monk, Barbie, and DH the wizard channeling skills all require you to stand still for a while.

That really isn’t helping the core issue of what OPs saying. Teleport itself albeit the improvements over the years is still a pretty clunky mobility skill in comparison to other classes. It’s a full stop on damage aside from passive skills like Explosive blast and Hydra which both fall out of the meta.

When you’re whirlwinding, you’re doing damage, when you’re strafing, you’re doing damage, when you’re steeding, you’re doing damage, when you’re dashing …you get the point. Teleport really is more defensive than offensive so when you’re constantly being on the offensive because you’re doing a ‘speed’ it’s a sorely lacking skill for that.

There’s a few solutions here, mega buff the only skills that don’t require active animation casts which teleport cancels like Explosive Blast or spells that have long duration once cast like Blizzard, Hydra, Blackhole or you improve the Teleport skill as a base and stop trying to add cooldowns to it on everything. Getting rid of useless runes like Reversal and adding something like “after you teleport, you gain 100% movement speed” would be a great start.

7 Likes

The problem is you end up with every class being “hold down right mouse and channel”. Is that really the only kind of build we want for every class? Currently Sader, Wizard, and Necro really don’t have a mobile channeling skill. Do we just make all classes just different versions of the same thing? Or do the classes really mean different play styles?

1 Like

I’m gonna laugh if next season Typhoon gets 3 charges on Teleport.

That rune is still pretty questionable. I proposed “Reversal” pulling enemies to you instead of teleporting. It would basically be a “Vortex” affix without having to use Ranslor’s.

it would suck to sacrifice our one movement speed skill offensively. But you’d still have Illusionist, I suppose.

1 Like

Lol you know it’s coming :laughing:

But yeah that’s what I’m getting at, too reliant on defensive. Illusionist is defensive as well, you’re not really proccing it while speeding. I think most are okay with what teleport does for pushing because you’re worried more about surviving instead of speeding 2 minutes through, it’s really when it comes to that where it’s too clunky, unreliable or too much damage sacrificing too make it on demand (Aether Walker).

This is true, although right now we’re at most classes being that than not and if they’re not they usually behind in the speed meta. That’s why I say they could make improvements here and there to still keep that identity intact but even then teleport still leaves a lot to be desired.

Like a Dashing Strike monkey, the speed and mobility is in the teleport… which I can never use as I play on console with my lady and it is just godawful in couch co-op. Plus, no real targeting. So, I do not play wizard, even if I think some of the concepts are OK.

No they dont, you just suck. Wizard is easily the most fun an exciting class this season.

Wow, welcome to the forums, what an insightful first post!

Seeing how you have 99% of your time spent on wizard, and literally no time spent on other classes, and you’ve never had a HC hero survive to 70, I’m going to say you are the teapot calling the kettle black.

Anyway…

Yes, I am aware of infinite teleport variations of builds, but they still don’t perform as well as other classes. Anybody remember back in the days of D2 with the sorc, you could teleport around and cast Frozen Orb - even that mechanic from over 20 years ago was more satisfying than what the wizard currently offers.

I understand the one point about all classes potentially having the same playstyle (“hold right click…”). I don’t think that is necessarily the direction the game should go, BUT, the direction the game development has gone shows some need for improvement to the mobility of the wizard.

It seems a lot of the appeal to wizard fans is the (what I find) annoying visual mechanics of the class combined with super nuking power. However, simply put, other classes are just not as cumbersome to play and I don’t feel like playing the wizard (or the WD) is worthwhile. The WD is a whole 'nother story of bleh.

1 Like

Honestly I actually prefer Wizard’s teleport to some of the other classes mobility. In fact, I hope we never get a mobile channeling build that some of the other classes have. (If we do, I can only say oh well.)

That said, teleport certainly isn’t perfect, issues like closed doors, as well as certain stairways can instantly pause a teleporting wizard for a noticable amount of time if they’re not careful. It also doesn’t help that with the exception of aether walker, firebird, and teleport Archon; wizard’s teleport require enemies to either hit (Tal-Rasha’s teleport cdr mechanic) or being in a slow time (DMO teleport cdr), so it can certainly lead to little teleports in general when a wizard’s in an area with few or less enemies to attack.

Now as far as mechanics go, yeah, Wizards have some clunky mechanics, it’s been the case for years, and it’s likely not going change, although admittedly it has gotten better in comparison to before. For example, the previous iteration of the firebird set was perhaps my least favorite set in the game, just because of how clunky and unfun I found it to be.

Only thing I hate about meteor build is if you play in a maze map or stand in some clunky area half of your meteors wont hit a thing.

Also you need to manage your attack speed breakpoint too. Tal channel spec got a 1.54 attack speed breakpoint you need to hit so you dont lose frames if you still use Etched Sigil globe. No idea how it is now but that was how it worked on old Tal set that I still use today.

Been doing 50s - 2 minute GR100-105 speeds with this Thunder Crash Tal+AW 4 set build, seems to be a bit faster and less dmg hoops/clunkiness than Firebird + MM power. Firebird of course performs better at 110-120 as it should because you’re taking Smoldering Core out.

(https://d3.maxroll.gg/d3planner/688440038)

If Aether Walker just had a 200% damage mod we’d be in business with most speed builds to push it to that > ~2 minute 115-120 mark. >3k paragon ofc. Hell even 100-150% would be fair if all skills.

It should still perform after season too, might just need 1-2 more RCR rolls instead of AS, main stat ect.

I proposed that very solution in a different thread; Vyr is currently about ~8 GRs behind, changing Aetherwalker to 200% , and subtracting Furnace, would put Vyr right on the money , plus all the speed builds it would benefit.

So naturally, it won’t happen. Common sense is not something D3 ever did well.

4 Likes

Yep that’s what I was thinking too catch up Vyrs, then you could use Vyr’s for speeds OR Tal’s.

Hell if they don’t want to give it a straight free ez damage modifier I’ll even consider something like 50% more damage after teleporting for 5 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. That would prioritize teleporting for speed and resource regeneration as well and force a change on skills. That way it doesn’t become Deathwish 2.0.

Then…and I know you weren’t crazy about this idea but then since AW would have the damage multiplier, no reason for OoID to keep the 40% global…take that and change it to purely EB, but jack it way up…like 200% per stack for 800% total.

Then five builds for four skills will emerge for speeds: EB, Meteor, Vyr/Chants, MM, Hydra. All 115-120 speed viable or near. It’s okay if some are better than others for pure speeding, namely EB.
The dream!

Wizards a basic type of build to start. There are a few issues still in common class skills that have always been a required summoning. I feel that the illusion of a follower from previous seasons more than meets that requirement. The problem with one time spells, is there a standard, and signature spells are not. With some builds a signature spell, would activate every time you sign for anything, and thats most of the business.
There are a few different ways to apply the wizard, but without a lycanthrope, there not bound to ‘The great horned rat’, that is one of the oldest governments. The movie Akira, is basically, what this would turn into. The story of Gods, trying to get attention at the same time, to prove there devotion. Are we winning though?

Honestly you’re right. WD has near the same issue for different reasons but … For the Wizard it actually makes no sense.

This season is the only one where I have made a build with the Wiz and it felt smooth. Aether+Fragment+Magic Missile DMO. Wanna know whats weird about it though? It plays almost exactly like a Multishot focused DH and I freaking love it. AND I hate that I love it.

??? you are just wrong !!!
D3 is 2 different games…before and after RoS…and in the end it is all about money for Blizz…so again: D3 fix topic…will not be done by Blizz and P2Win is a natural core of the game; hidden or not…

Wudi made a video prior to s26.
(TLDR, Teleport has a 120%, MORE THAN DOUBLE the cooldown of blood rush (which CAN HAVE 2 CHARGES!!) Teleport problems
I have not mained a Wizard for so many seasons, after the necro was introduced, at least in the early seasons it was fun.
Because of Tal, I decided to main a Wizard…idk, 1st time in the last 10 seasons? And I agree 100%

I Found an “Primal” Oculus Source today. Its been many many seasons since I main a Wizard, and this old video popped u my head. After playing Monk for 2 seasons…wizards feel like a snail.
The video was prior to s26 (They reduced teleport …sort of (proc by meteor), but as a “movement skill”, its so bad as it provides no buffs like other classes.
You are right on the spot about movement skill on the Wizard is the WORST BY FAR vs every other class.
Best: Monk (Major Buff - 50 yard with 3 charges!!) 8 sec cooldown
Barb: Multiple movement skills, with charges/buffs. Charge, Leap, Sprint (has no downtime - use resource)
DH: Displacement Vault (Acrobatic rune = 6 sec)
Necro: Blood Rush (5 seconds cooldown, all runes have major benefits, potency, healing, charges)
Sader: well…horse lol.

Then…Teleport (11 secs) and besides “safe passage” no other rune provides any buff compared to what other classes get, like Blood Rush Potency, Dashing Strike - Blinding speed (40% dodge)
37% longer cooldown than monks (which can have 3 charges)
120%!! LONGER than Necros…more than double!!wudiFail :pleading_better:

I am enjoying this season with Tal, but everything you mentioned in the video were big issues that I agree, and hope they will change. (maybe no as OP as Enigma) but Teleport has multiple items (AW, Cosmic Strand, Oculus, and illusionist passive)…They def need to streamline this. Wizard mobility is even worse than I remembered.wudiGood :picklerick: :picklerick:

Playing LOD Magic Missile, 25 Arcane Power is SOOOO MUCH!!
You lost AQ DR in 1 teleport!!!
25 AP is 20-25% of your total!!

IMO, it should just be free (and plus dmg :smiley: of course)

1 Like

llusionist:30% increase movement speed and lasts 10 second rather than 3second.
passive skill llusionist is too weak now.