Rank 1 world Typhon GR145 solo with hipster build!

Hey, I haven’t made a thread about how great Typhon’s Veil is for like a week, so I think it’s time again! This forum is so busy, no one will even notice. :slight_smile:

This time it’s solo pushing with a build that deviates quite a lot from the maxroll guide! I’m not sure what’s going on in china region, but no one in NA, EU or TW has cleared higher than 142 with typhon this season, so afaik, this is rank 1 world by some margin. Have a look!

build: https://d3.maxroll.gg/d3planner/607007227

Why the build is awesome!
You probably haven’t heard about this build. The idea to get more cooldowns into the build, so that we can get more value from the sliver of terror. And part of it is that it’s a pain to find a good (or even decent) off-hand winter flurry, while I did find a once-in-a-lifetime orb of infinite depth (ooid): ancient trifecta with crit/hydra/AD.

So apart from teleport we will get explosive blast in there to proc ooid, and we can fit in black hole as well, giving us a total of three cooldown, which gives a lot of dps and damage reduction with the sliver of terror. It’s to the point that I’m not even using the ring of fire, but rather taking the extra crit chance and attack speed. The attack speed bumps me up a breakpoint if I have at least 2 skills on cooldown, and I am swiping barrier blades 6 times per second with 3 skills on cooldown according to d3planner, which is a lot of sustain and stricken stacks. I killed coldsnap in 1:30 in a GR145, easy.

For that, I am giving up winter flurry and blizzard, and with the ooid 80% damage reduction, I can drop halo of karini and storm armour, which gives me space to equip focus and restraint and cube CoE. Again, a case of it being much easier to find good FnRs than two out of rorg, karini and coe. Not going to lie, his toon is pretty decked out with perfect rolls and 150 augments in most slots, but part of the reason is that I’ve given myself easy-to-find items in the build.

The best part of this shuffle is that I’m giving up two mandatory skills (blizzard and storm armour), but only introducing one: explosive blast. This gives me space to have both black hole AND a twister pull! Can you imagine the value of black hole when you can cast it on a juicy twister pull as it’s starting to loosen up?? Well, you don’t have to, just watch the video! I’m getting 30+ stacks often, even up to 50 stacks, which is just a straight up 2x damage multiplier. OP!

Why the build is frustrating AF to play
Blizzard is great for grouping up mobs before the twister pull. This build doesn’t really have any ranged attacks you can use to pull in mobs (placing hydras will freeze them when you want to pull them), which can be quite annoying when dragging elites or pulling more sparse areas of slowish mobs.

But the main pain is the defense mechanics. You think the typhon defense is frustrating, with losing big part of your defense the second you take damage? Well, that’s the reliable part of your defense. I am playing without CDR on my gear, which means that I have to hit something with one of the three explosive blast chain reaction explosions every cycle. Or I lose all the ooid stacks, and I take 5x damage. Losing the +40% damage buff isn’t even worth mentioning in comparison, because if I don’t go into instant panic mode, I’ll be dead in a second, meaning -100% damage. Best way to recover is to run ahead, find fresh mobs (not cc-resistant), pull them in and cc them so that you can safely hit them with EB and recover while they are frozen/black holed.

Apart from the defense mechanics being annoying AF, even with everything up, it’s a quite squishy build. We’ve given up blood bracers for ranslors for the twister pull. But we’re forced into melee range for explosive blast and barrier blades. So even with everything up, it’s not like we can comfortably tank multiple elites. We can’t tank one elite really, unless the affixes are very mild. In fact, some white mob types are unplayable, like the licking frogs or lacuni huntresses, and many others are very difficult.

So tbh, most of the hundreds of keys I spent was learning to play this train-wreck of a build. You num-lock explosive blast obviously, but if you stand and hold down barrier blades, num lock wont trigger and you’ll lose your ooid stacks, so you need to learn to actually press the explosive blast button the instance it comes off CD every 6 seconds. A few seconds late and you’re dead or losing at least one damage cycle recovering. I died 5+ times most rift I played. And you need to pay attention to move between groups of mobs just after you refreshed ooid, so that you don’t lose it when you travel. But also you need to play around coe. Good luck. :slight_smile:

The rotation

• In the middle of the lightning cycle, ensure you have 5 dynamo stacks and drop the first hydra, and immediately after (before the hydra start freezing mobs) place a twister close to (but not on top of) the hydra. You want the pull close enough to the hydra so that they get frozen in place by the first hydra nova, but far enough away so that the hydra cone hits everything in the pull.
  • press explosive blast.
  • swipe 5 more times and place the second hydra in a place that hits everything in the pull.
  • press explosive blast.
  • you should now be in the first half of the arcane cycle. If the pull isn’t great, maybe slightly overlapping the hydras, or an elite close by that isn’t really in the pull, then place the black hole straight after the second hydra to correct the pull and to get the damage buff and have a better chance of getting an oculus ring in time for cold cycle. If only trash and tight pull, then let the AD do its work and drop the black hole only when the cold cycle starts.
  • press explosive blast.
  • make sure explosive blast is on CD (and black hole should be already), with two skills on CD you are on next hydra breakpoint, so it’s ok to leave your teleport available so that you can jump into an oculus ring that spawns in the cold cycle.
  • press explosive blast.
  • Stay as close as you can for audacity, they should be mostly cc:ed through the cold cycle depending on your timing of the pull.
  • press explosive blast.
  • once in fire, it’s tempting to stay and dps, but typically it’s not a good idea. Most of the AD should have worn off by now (most trash is dead and the pull is dispersing), and you need a new pull with new monsters that are not cc-immune. Once fire starts, you only have about 6 seconds until you need to make next pull, so get going or you’re going to screw up next cycle. If you didn’t get enough damage in, better to go do another a cycle elsewhere and come back 32 seconds later when cc immunity has worn off.
  • press explosive blast.
  • If you found an elite that you are planning to drag and kill. Then it’s often time well spent to spend the first off-cycle to try to get some stricken stacks in on the yellow. Just be careful, if you stay there will be plenty cc-immune mobs to attack you, not to mention the elite affixes.
  • press explosive blast.

Try it out
It has ridiculous damage, and very satisfying playstyle with the twister pull!

So if you have the self discipline to go into a perfect rift but die over and over and over due to failing to keep up the completely BS defense mechanics, without getting frustrated, then this build is for you!

Good luck wizards!

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing, i tend to pretty much play hydra each season nice to see some variety to the set this season.

1 Like

Well done, Cascade! Both on the clears and the writeup for your setup.

1 Like

Btw, I tried running this build for XP runs a little bit. Just changed stricken for powerful, coe for rorg (giving me tasker and theo, just spreading out the average 50% damage buff of coe), and safe passage for wormhole. Just plugged 5 keys or so total, and I’m sure both gear and playstyle can be optimised further, but I clocked in about 4-5mins for GR125 and 5-7min for GR130. Going much lower isn’t really meaningful I think as we’re lacking so much mobility that that’d we’d be spending most of the time running.

This is at 3.4k paragon with good gear and 150 augs, so these times don’t feel great. Of course no where close to innas in solo XP/h, but I think not really close to firebirds either, right? I haven’t played much firebirds this season, what kind of GR and time can you run at about that paragon?

Wizards aren’t in a great place for solo speed XP right now, I was pull a decent chunk more on DH (both GoD and Marauder’s easily beat the best XP/hour I could manage on wizard), and a decent chunk more again on monk.

I did test a number of different wizard builds for speeds earlier in the season, and Firebird’s ended up being the best for me. At least in the under 3 min clear range anyway, can’t beat the free mobility from Firebird’s. Typhon’s with Aether Walker doesn’t have the damage, you’d be stuck doing 100s or 105s or something. And any non-Aether Walker builds (Hydras, Twisterrs, Orbs) I tried weren’t really any better than Firebird’s for XP.

By the time I hit 2.5k I was pulling around 2.5-3.0T/hr unpooled doing 110-120 with Firebird’s. I was doing easily under 2 min for 110s, a bit slower for 115s (can’t remember exactly what time I was doing the 115s in), 120s noticeably slower and closer to 3 min average probably. Firebird’s Flame Blades on it’s own lacks AoE for speeds, but it flies on tiers where the Anguish explosion one-shots most trash. It starts to slows down once it takes multiple pops to clear out packs.

Are your times with town included or just clears? 4.5 min 125 clears + 45 sec town time should be ~2.6T XP/hour unpooled. 6 min 130 clears + 45 sec town time is about the same.

1m45s 110 clears + 45 sec town time is ~2.6T XP/hour unpooled.

2m15s 115 clears + 45 sec town time is ~2.8T XP/hour unpooled.

2m45s 120 clears + 45 sec town time is 3T XP/hour unpooled.

So I’d think you could pretty easily match or beat what you’re doing with Typhon’s using Firebird’s.

Fewer rifts/hr means you’d have better key efficiency with Typhon’s though, so that tilts the scales a bit. But then less loot and shards.

1 Like

Update: a 5.7k paragon wizard (trueoutsider) cleared 150 with this build, only change as I can see is ring of fire in the helm shard. I spent maybe 50-100 keys on 150 myself (also with ring of fire, 3.6k paragon), and the damage is there, but too squishy in packs with elites where I wanted to spawn the rings and kept dying at 90 stacks, so I gave up. The extra paragon would’ve helped with survivability, but still very impressive clear. gg wp. Happy that typhon gets to join the GR150 club. :clap: :partying_face:

1 Like

Yeah, ring of fire for sure necessary at 150 I think, but dying at 90+ stacks is what I hated most about this season lol.

At my paragon, yes. At yours? Don’t think so. I had a few good tries at 147 with crit-ias shard at 3.6k paragon. Got a good 4-elite SHIELD pylon and was almost on time at like 85% progression without a condi. I think you can totally do 150 without ring of fire, jut bear in mind how your attack speed breakpoints change.

Ring of fire will ahve potential for the faster clear though.

Good luck!