Rainbow Portrait: The Hunt for Sir William (These are the facts!)

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to share with you my latest experience farming for Sir William.

Over the years playing Diablo 3 I’ve been farming for the Whimsyshire (Rainbow) Portrait frame multiple times on both PC and Console.

This time though (during S21), I decided to, for the first time, keep track of every run in hope of getting a more clear picture of (if any) the spawn rate- and place.

Over the years I’ve seen so many different people on forums, YouTube etc etc share all these rediculous conspiracy theories that Sir William can only spawn in ‘open areas’ on the Whimsyshire Map, that he CANNOT spawn if you also meet Evil Oliver in the game and some people are even claiming that there is a higher spawn rate on certain Torment levels.

This is what I can tell ya’ll: These are ALL false claims and it is all in the hands of the RNG gods! :wink:

I was very unfortunate in this recent hunt for Sir William and ended up doing a total of 374 clears before I got him which is definitely the most runs I’ve ever done farming for him.

On this 374-clear journey I was changing the Torment LVL sporadicly, sometimes I would stick with the same Torment for 30-50 runs in a row, I did Normal-T16 and T16-Normal, literally trying every single possible difficulty and running consistently on one difficulty and the opposite.

Ironically enough, after many days of everything from 4-8 hours of Whimsyshire sessions, this morning I finally got him in my second run of the day and when I got him all these different theories that I just mentioned above where totally eliminated - here is why:

• Sir William spawned in the same game as Evil Oliver
  • Sir William spawned in an alcove and NOT in an open area
  • Sir William spawned on Torment 1

There is a couple things that have been proven, and which can help save you some time, and after just clearing Whimsyshire almost 400 times over the past weeks and keeping track of the different Elite spawns etc, I CAN confirm that this is a true fact:

Only TWO unique spawns can spawn in one game in Whimsyshire and Evil Oliver and Super Awesome Sparkle Cake are always one of them.

This means if you meet ‘Tubbers’, ‘Midnight Sparkle’ or another random unique spawn before you run into Evil Oliver or Super Awesome Sparkle Cake, then you know it’s guaranteed that there is no longer a chance that Sir William can spawn in the game and you should therefore just leave- and remake the game and start all over with a new Whimsy run. Knowing this definitely saved me some time on non-necesserary clears!

To all my fellow Diablo gamers out there who either wants to- or already are farming for this Portrait frame: Don’t give up - KEEP GRINDING and you WILL find him eventually!

/ Nihlathak.

12 Likes

Congrats! I was lucky I guess because I found it after ‘‘only’’ about 100 runs :slight_smile:

Thx so much for your information.
I am still farming for the frame, but now I have enough pieces for my angry chicken build and can start to run through instead of kill me through. So your information will save me a lot of time from now on. <3

edit:
As I see it there are 1-2 super unique spawns (purple name / golden in chat):
Always one or bouth:

• Evil Oliver (purple bear)
  • Super Awesome Sparkle Cake (unicorn)

alternative super uniques:

• Creampuff (Unicorn)
  • Midnight Sparkle (unicorn)
  • Nightmarity (Unicorn)
  • Princess Stardust (unicorn)
  • Maisie the Daisy (flower)
  • Tubbers (pink bear)
    4-Team:
  • Killaire (Team Unicorn)
  • Maulin Sorely (Team Unicorn)
  • Miss Hell (Team Unicorn)
  • R’Lyeh (Team Unicorn)

or the searched:

• Sir William (bear)

dont count the rare yellow uniques (normally you find 2-3 of those)

1 Like

I finally landed Sir William in my estimated 750-th run or thereabouts.

• Sir William spawned in an open area for my game drop.
    Fyi, hope it aids you in your mindless, love for torturous grind/farm.

#Transmog :smiley:
Good Luck!

1 Like

Is it possible for Sir William to re-appear again, 2nd drop of the scroll for same account/gamer user?

Appreciate your replies. G’day

Absolutely, I’ve seen him twice.

Both actually along side Oliver

Did the portrait scroll drop in the 2nd encounter?

I believe they are like pets. Once you have them, they won’t drop again.

As I remember no. Like Timberwolf state these drops should be unique, thus only happen while you don’t have them.

Thank both for taking time to respond. Appreciate ;D

I know this is old. I’ve still got a question: Is the portrait a legendara drop? Which color has it?

Good informations…

But, i didnt prepare my stomach, for 1000000000000000000000 runs to hunt that stupid Bear.