Raging Storm + Wicked Wind Twisters Bugged

Wicked Wind rune overrides Raging Storm damage still, AND corner stacking doesn’t work.

Corner stacking was working on the PTR so I assumed it was a reverted nerf. Live servers didn’t get that change.

20 Likes

There aren’t many words. And most of those words left will get me actioned. I’m just leaving Diablo 3 quietly.

4 Likes

It’s almost as if, maybe they should have let us test the final changes before posting them to live… If only there was some sort of free public testing period where they could… oh wait. Blizzard Fails again. :grimacing:

7 Likes

The devs have no clue how to buff gear…
It’s SO easy… just increase damage and slow the movement of twisters…
Done! patched! But they can’t even do that… they are clueless! Even their Hydra changes were not enough.
Well, time for Necro Bone Spear.

1 Like

This wrecks my plans for rolling a HC wiz this next season as one of my characters… I was very pumped to play LoD Twister Wiz… Did this affect Mistral Breeze rune as well? I’m assuming it isn’t working either?

1 Like

Lexy no disrespect meant here, but could you please show the damage of an actual merged tornado with WW vs a Raging Storm? Afterall that is what is suppose to be the comparison here as a single Wicked Wind doesn’t apply the new effect of merged tornados. On the PTR someone had said even Raging isn’t doing it’s full damage with the merge, so I’m wondering if right now both of them are essentially the same.

Which means the entire thing is just under-powered, not just Wicked , so then it would go back to Wicked being the only real choice since all of them are essentially weaker than what they should be.

Which would bring a legit case to correct Wicked Wind’s damage, by basically buffing all of them when merged - despite now being obvious we’d only use Wicked in meta group situations since corner stacking it back to nerfed.

1 Like

Not proof to my claim here, but even D3Planner is saying the new merged Wicked Wind and Raging Storm do the same damage. 3200%. It probably just has to merge to gain the new weapon damage % and not before that, which makes a lot of sense.

It could be incorrect and they both only do 1750% which would actually be a gigantic nerf to Raging Storm as that would essentially = 2 Wickeds but no change to Wicked other than it gaining Area damage and proc scaling benefits.

1 Like

D3 planner isn’t always right though.

D3 planner says that Manald Heal damage procced by Lightning Hydras is buffed by Typhon’s, Magistrate, and Serpent’s Sparker, but it’s not.

D3 planner has also calculated Swami stacks and Archon stacks as separate multipliers ever since 2.4.1 (when they were first made multiplicative), but they were made to be additive with each other and multiplicative with everything else in 2.4.2, and D3 planner has never been updated to reflect that. It still calculates Swami stacks as a separate multiplier to active Archon stacks (EDIT: this appears to have been fixed sometime in the last couple months)

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but you can’t always assume that d3planner reflects how the calculations work in game. D3planner is an incredible accomplishment and very useful tool, and the vast majority of the time it’s accurate, but there’s the odd issue with damage calculations in specific instances where it might not always be correct.

EDIT: Just checked and it seems to be calculating Swami stacks correctly now. It definitely wasn’t 6 months or so ago, so he must have fixed it some time in between.

2 Likes

Yep, I realize that that’s why I said it’s not proof and could be incorrect - and yes that ninja fix to Swami double dipping the stats was so unexpected and nice!

I’m just saying WW might not be bugged at all since the effect weapon % goes off the merged tornados not the single shown in Lexy’s video which is assuming merged just x2 WW’s damage when it might actually be doing Raging’s damage afterall.

Something to double check.

Let me preface this comment with the fact that I do not know what “corner stacking” is. I can kind of guess at what it might be, just from context. I’d read long ago that PC twisters disappear when they hit a wall, but console twisters don’t. If that’s what we’re talking about, then I don’t see this as much of a loss.

What I want to weigh in on are the changes to The Twisted Sword and The Etched Sigil. While my opinion on the latter is probably pretty clear by now, I do want to say I’ve tested it a little this afternoon, and it looks to me like we got an overall damage increase. My testing did not include high-speed recordings in super-ultra-mega-OmniSoft programs or anything like that; just a quick whirl with the new items as compared to what I had going already.

With the fourth slot available in the next season, I’m heading straight for Valthek’s Rebuke. I’m already clearing higher than I was with the new items, and they’re not even optimized yet. I can only imagine what it’s going to be like with another 400% dropped on top.

If they could have just left Etched Sigil alone…that, or made it so that Meteor is exempt from the list. We did not need for this to be made a twister-only item.

“Corner stacking” is gone. Eh. I don’t think that spells doom for the build just yet. I’m going to be running one when the new season starts, so we’ll see.

1 Like

Tested 2.6.10.71254. Quick test with only Twisted Sword legendary power in the cube and a dagger equipped.

• Twisters now disappear on corners or edges of terrain after ~1s of being stuck.
  • Damage of 5 stack Mistral Breeze Twister: ~18M average.
  • Damage of 5 stack Wicked Wind Twister: ~12M average.

Expected difference:

• 1525%/835% = ~1.8263

Actual approximate difference:

• 18/12 = ~1.5 … EDIT: post below shows this should be closer to ~1.36; This quick test here was not perfect.

Wicked Wind’s damage is definitely higher than it was on PTR.

Wicked Wind’s damage when 5 stacked is now equivalent to ~1000% (EDIT: ~1141%) average weapon damage per stack. The rune still says 835% though.

The Good:

First off, thank you, it appears you’re listening to some of our feedback, and buffed the damage of Wicked Wind. However, the tooltip still says 835%. This is not visible at all to the average player, and is not listed in the patch notes.

The Bad:

So let me get this straight.

The build is now designed in such a way to combine twisters, into a MEGA Twister, but we still have wall collision mechanics that cause twisters to disappear? Why is this bug fix still in place?

It’s great to see changes to Wicked Wind damage, but now it’ll be the only rune chosen!

I really enjoyed playing Mistral Breeze on the PTR. With the Twister Wall ‘Fix’ in place, all of these other runes are designed to fail.

Please allow Twisters to stack on terrain and corners again. This will at least let those of us that enjoy this alternate playstyle to use it.

Wicked Wind damage can always be balanced in comparison with the other runes.

Other runes don’t function if Twisters disappear, especially with Valthek’s Rebuke still in the mix.

The Ugly:

Where is our communication on these issues?

We asked about corner stacking being back on the PTR and NOTHING was said. We assume thereafter that this is going live as is, and proceed to build around said mechanics being in place.

Now we find out that that was not a plan at all. No mention in the patch notes. No mention that Wicked Wind changes are coming through on the bug report from PTR.

Where is the clarification, communication on these mechanics and the intended changes for Energy Twister?

Why are we left guessing as to how much damage is changed when we could simply be informed of it? Our testing should be to confirm values and behavior, not figure out “okay, what hidden changes did they put in this time?”

This is the only build that allows Wizard to be competitive from a solo perspective without cheesing the Deathwish bonus (mixing Channeling with Signatures; Ex: Frozen orb and Hydra).

If you’re going to force us into playing channeled Twister by defiling Etched Sigil, It’s pretty damn important that the build works.

11 Likes

Well that’s… odd.

Yes it is. I had to double check my test setup for rogue multipliers; gems, passives, items, cube all non contributors, and I stacked to 5 Twisted sword multiplier every attempt.

Would be great if we could find out more. I am just a little too mad to engage in another deep mechanics test after that full of a PTR.

I wasn’t paying that much attention to twisters on PTR, since I don’t have much interest in them. Did anyone test the specifics of “allows the tornado to merge with three additional Energy Twisters”?

There’s a few different ways that could be calculated.

Baseline damage is 1525, Raging Storm combined is 3200. So combined twister adds 1675. Okay, but what about the “three additional twisters”? How does that work?

A two-twister twister is 1525 + 1675 = 3200. Is a four-twister twister 1525+1675*3=6550? Or maybe (1525+1675)*2 = 6400? Or what about 1525*3 + 1675 = 6250?

What about Wicked Wind? The only way I can get a 1.5 ratio is if Raging Storm gives 1525*3 + 1675 = 6250 and Wicked Wind gives 835*3 + 1675 = 4180, 6250/4180 = 1.495.

I have absolutely no idea if that’s the way it works or not. I was just playing around with the numbers. Like you, I’m also not particularly motivated to do a deep mechanics test.

1 Like

I did more testing with stacked twisters. I think they tried to change Raging Storm + Wicked Wind interaction but caused another bug. A 2 stack twister has 2x Raging Storm damage. Any additional twisters added have Wicked Wind damage. Making a combined 5 stack twister results in (2x Raging Storm Damage) + (3x Wicked Wind Damage).

5 Likes

Aha, thanks for testing that! So I was on the right track with my guess, just didn’t quite have the specifics correct.

2 Likes

So this is why they have 10 days between patch landing and S22 starting?

They should be able to release a hotfix for this in time for S22.

I think the official reason for such a gap between patch and season is “Because”.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this! I knew something more was going on with the combination and it wasn’t just WW, I believe someone on PTR had mentioned this as well.

Well…here’s hoping an extra week of not starting the season can see a fix for this or at least some communication on what the intent was here.

1 Like

Hopefully so, however I wouldn’t count on it especially considering we haven’t had any communication regarding almost all the changes pertaining to wizards…