Quin69 Interview with Joe Shelly

I’ve taken notes from an interview that Quin69 (Twitch) did with Joe Shelly. I’m going to post the notes below. I listened to it twice but please correct me anything.

Interviewer: Quin69
Interviewee: Joe Shelly, Lead Game Designer

No solo self found mode but you can play single player

Endgame content - whether you can jump in for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or an hour they want it to be meaningful.

Paragon Levels - Not going to do exactly the same thing

Lot of end game activities planned
World Bosses
Key Dungeons

• Inspired by Greater Rifts
  • Hundreds of Dungeons
  • Key for specific dungeon
  • Key will open dungeon at “max” level (currently up to 40)
  • Key will have affixes that will affect the dungeon (example a lightning pulse that will follow you around damaging you)
  • More tomorrow

Cursed items - maybe

Leaderboard to be more meaningful

Legendaries will affect how skills work (ex. 1 legendary will reduce cool down of teleport and can be combined with another legendary that will cast nova on teleport)

Legendaries will make skills more powerful but not by massive % to damage

Legendary items are equal to or more powerful than sets - sets are a stepping stone

Transmogs are being looked at

No Auction House

Trading System - not decided
Predominant Source for getting items is killing monsters
Leaning towards 3 tier

• Always tradeable (mats, crafting, consumables)
  • 1 trade then bind
  • Bind on pickup

Crafting - focus on modification

There will be seasons - Change what items will be the most powerful so meta will shift from season to season

Expansions

Talent Tree

• Want feedback but these are the trees as they currently stand
  • Customization will com from legendary items
  • Skill points will unlock or increase rank
  • Can respec

Skills - you assign skill points to and cannot be respecced, skill tomes can also increase level

Monetization

• Base Game
  • Expansions
  • MTX for Cosmetics

Hideouts - interesting idea, nothing to announce

UI addons - nothing to announce specifically

Key binds can be modified for skills - You can customize skill bar to the skills you want to use

Higher emphasis on cheat prevention

ETA - not even Blizzard soon

8 Likes

Thanks for this Deadalus, you’re doing the Lord’s work :heart: Lots of interesting stuff here but this jumps out to me immediately:

This sounds somewhat similar to PoE’s mapping system. I’ll be really interested to see how this is developed further.

2 Likes

Most of these are pretty good with a big exception, specifically the inability to respec. This was one of the features that I found most annoying.

3 Likes

Thanks! I really didn’t expect there to be an interview so I was glad I stuck around to the end.

These aren’t your skills but are talent trees which, if I’m not mistaken, are passives. From what I gathered you could possibly find enough tomes to max everything.

Yeah, while I somewhat understand the controversy between allowing respecs or not in a game where you pick skills, most of the time, I think the respec feature is best included.

If they don’t allow respecs, a limited number of character slots could be cumbersome. There is the risk of ruining your character. And lastly it’s possible a later patch could neuter your character (by nerfing a specific skill) to the point that it’s best to relevel one from scratch.

4 Likes

That’s not what he said. He said that if you only go in for 5 to 30 minutes, then they want you to be able to make some kind of meaningful progress during that time.

This was in response to Paragon levels, which in D3 that’s what Paragon was meant to do (offer progression during small play sessions during which you are unlikely to find the next upgrade /sidegrade).

They are not going to do Paragon levels though, they are going to accomplish it in a different way.

Thanks!

I’ve edited the post to clarify what he said. I was going for that but my wording was off.

I’ve also changed something which I will note here as well.

Rhykker is doing another interview (not sure with who).

The Talent Tree can be respecced; however, skill points cannot be respecced but skill tomes can be obtained to increase skill level.

Good.

Let’s hope Blizzard sticks to that forever.

Hundreds of dungeons, inspired by greater rifts? I’m confused.

Do you think this means hundreds of differently designed dungeons with different bosses, etc?

Or do you think this is just a clever way of saying hundreds of “dungeons” but in a form closer to Diablo 3 rifts?

Just confused on the way it’s typed out. If they are rifts it should say “hundreds of levels” but it sounds like maybe it’s not quite the exact same, but still has some element of rifts to it, idk

1 Like

It’s probably like the “billions” of builds for D3. There isn’t really hundreds. I mean it’s not feasible to create hundreds of unique dungeons/bosses, especially random ones.

It might just have some good tech for taking templates and randomizing some stuff so it doesn’t seem like the same dungeon you’ve run before.

From what I gathered, hundreds of different dungeons located around the world. I mean this world is huge. Much bigger than anything in the prior games. The demo only takes place in one small section in one of the “zones.” A key will be for one of those dungeons somewhere in the world. From Rhykker’s interview, the enemies in the dungeon won’t change. The affixes will let you see how the dungeon is being modified.

This is not the same setup as GR’s in D3.

Also from Rhykkers interview, there will by Mythic items which are stronger than Legendary.

1 Like

Thumbs-up to this.

Customisation with commitment is essential. Seasons, for example, are meaningless if you only ever need to create one character of every class.

From my understanding, you’ll eventually be able to max out all of your skills. So people will still be able to play just one character if they so choose to.

Marvel Heroes, anyone?
I think Brevik would approve.