Quick question about Weapon stat

Normally, I would always add the 10% Damage to a weapon, but if have Captain Crimson’s Gear would you choose the 10% Damage or 10% Cool Down Reduction?

I’d probably go with 10% damage, depending on whether I needed 10% cooldown. At some point, reducing a skill by fractions of a second isn’t going to be too noticeable (or helpful) but could be for longer durations…

10% bonus damage is always helpful.

The 3-piece bonus of the Captain Crimson’s Trimmings says…

Damage dealt is increased by your percentage of cooldown reduction.

This means that in terms of damage output there’s no difference between 10% weapon damage and 10% Cooldown Reduction, as they both result in a 10% increase of damage done.

However, if you take the 10% CDR on the weapon, this means you might not need it on another slot, e.g. shoulders, gloves or rings, and you could re-roll the CDR off that slot into another, more offensive affix, resulting in a bigger gain.

[ Special Note ]
When dual-wielding, hits are done with alternating between the main-hand and off-hand weapon. This means increasing one of them by 10% actually only results in a 5% overall increase. Unless you put 10% on both weapons, you won’t see a 10% increase.

1 Like

Interestingly, increasing the % Damage via cooldown reduction of 10% on the Weapon nets about a 9% Cool down change instead of 10%. But it is a 2-fer damage and cooldown.

What I don’t know is if % Cool down reduction damage increase applies to all damage verse 10% added damage on the Weapon. That is, does the 10% Weapon damage also apply to cast spell damage?