Question to the cms

Will there be something done about the cheater problems on console? Like its really really bad again. And def could use some love for the longevity of the game.

2 Likes

I can answer that. Addressing the CMs is against the code of conduct. No, and the longevity ship has kinda sailed.

A CM will likely give you a copy-paste issue about maintaining the integrity of the game is important, but no, cheating on console is a foregone conclusion. They can’t even stop cheating on P.C., a much easier platform to police.

3 Likes

The main issue is the connectivity between PS3 and PS4… PS3 has been thoroughly hacked, and all file formats decoded. There even exists PS3 game emulators now… PS4 is still somewhat in the early days, but has also been hacked.

Solving the problem for consoles isn’t simple once they are hacked. Consoles are assumed closed systems, clients trust each other because of code signing/encryption etc enforced by the hardware. For example, many console games use lazy netcode (and get away with it) because it isn’t susceptible to hacking. Traditionally for computers, the client isn’t trusted. So what I mean by lazy is, on PC if client A tells client B I hit! this wouldn’t work - someone could just mass broadcast they hit everyone and everything immediately dies(nothing protects the files from modification on PC). That’s why we ended up with predictive or synchronous serialized-actions for most PC games.

Anyway back to console stuff, there isn’t an easy answer. The best thing blizz could do is release a client update that deletes all items that exist outside their loot generation value ranges on character load. Or a more sneaky thing would be if their overall total stats exceed the maximum possible natural values cheaters experience buggy gameplay, maybe when casting a spell cheaters just die or do zero damage.