Question: Can a legendary effect randomly target a set of spells?

Ok, let me try to clarify what I mean and what I’m getting at.
This has to do with Etched Sigil, but I have no intention to continue the criticism. Instead I wonder if it is technically possible for the devs to create a function that chooses between different spells instead of binding an item to one.
If this would be possible then maybe that could be a way to go for Etched Sigil.
This way could create either “hydra”, “meteor” or “twister” versions.
It will add yet another layer of RNG but at least it would open a chance for those builds that got hit by this change.

Synopsis: I am curious if it could be done.

Very technically challenging, I’m sure. It would be better to revamp one of our many terrible class legendaries. Most of our offhands, specifically, are garbage.

1 Like

True, so it would from a programmers point of view be preferable to create two new sources for each spell with exact same effects in all other regards.
Ex.
Item A …casts meteor ever second…
Item B …casts hydra ever second…

Well was worth a shot…

Thanks for the reply.

A randomized legendary power should be a non-issue. Actually there already is an item like that:

Halcyon’s Ascent

The issue with this would be that the item will be removed from the cube completely if they do something similar.

1 Like

Point taken, that would be a huge hit to build making.
Good catch Lexa.

Not really… usable sources are scarce. It would likely pose a problem during leveling and in the early stages of farming but eventually you will end up equipping that item, if it’s required for a given build.

That changes based on class; I don’t know if it’s possible to change to different proc effects based on spells. The one that springs to mind is the DH quiver, Panacea, which had to affect all runes differently at the same time.

Why wouldn’t it be possible? Yes, the basic concept is a bit different, but If Halcyon selects a power depending on character class, then it should be all the more possible to use a random variable instead and activate a power based on that. It might need a bit of new code here and there, can’t say, but it would really surprise me if such a task poses a technical threat for our devs.

Well if it could bring back some now dead builds I would vote for a change in this direction.
One thing that I didn’t voice so far is that the one thing that was good about this change was by affecting on spell it gains more control.
One take of testing that I made was using the old combo and I had blizzard, black hole and meteor in spell bar… Was fun in T1 but even then a total mess :smiley:
So if the devs wants to get out of this Stun lock situation maybe this could be the way to go. We will have to wait and see.
Question is if my fellow wizards wants this to happen if it can be done of course.

Let’s be honest. Changing a simple set modifier seems to be beyond the devs, now you want new, complicated code to change affix based on which spell you have equipped? Yikes!

Just revamp the source, it would be really, really complicated to change an affix based on which spell you have equipped. Lots of them to choose from. An affix that did “X” when Meteor was equiiped. “Y” when Hydra was equipped, and Z with “Disintegrate” would just be technically very challenging. It would be better to just assign all three affixes to different, already existing, offhands.

No, no if they managed to even create that it would be a trainwreck.
The question was if when this item was created it would get it’s possible stats and then a random, but ONE, spell buffed in generating process.

Anyway the only reason, besides curiosity, was to break this situation.
Separate Sigil class sources may be the fastest solution. Plus that could be extracted in the cube.
No need to continue the argument. If the devs even find the last too much time invested we discuss this in vain.

No one is arguing, we’re just debating. It might be doable, sure, but it would be better to do it the way I proposed.