Puzzle Rings to hunt Ethereals?

That’s why you run this in a group. Yeah, it’s kind of painful that it takes awhile to get a group, but eventually you will find people. With a group of 4 with 3+ puzzle rings each, and snapshotting the vault, this goes so much faster.

I spent like 15 to get all 21 ethereals - 3 I got playing DH and then did the rest using level 5 character and Vaults. After 10 rings I leveled this character to 31 and spend 1200 shadrs getting 3 more rings.
Sometimes - like twice - I got only 2 leoric Crowns but on average 2 ethereals.
I killed Malevolent Tormentor goblin in the Vault - he drops guaranteed legendary, so one more chance per Vault if you get him spawn from the pile of gold.

You can enter the Vault and die and then wait till you buddy kill all in the Vault except Greed. Resurrect, check the map and then go to Greed. This way it is working too.

I’m, unfortunately, going to have to do this solo. As long as there is any easier way than actually “hunting” for them, I’ll be ok using a tedious method.

I can help you if you want - right now or later, send me a message in game when you will be online.

I appreciate that! But, I don’t really get on til about 8:30 CST. I have a goal in mind to hit P1000 as quickly as I can, too. At 950 right, so, close!

On three classes I got them all in 2 runs each.
On a couple of classes it took 3 runs each.
One class took 4 runs.
So, 16 puzzle rings.

It’s more likely to come down to how many duplicates you get than not getting any at all.

3 Likes

Oh, I should have plenty, then.

Thanks, MB!

So far my count is: Barb 6 rings, Crus 4, Monk 4, WD 4. I still need Wizard and Necro and I main DH so that class is covered.

So far, it took me 15 to get 3 classes down. Barbarian took 3, DH and WD each took 6. (And had like 4x of one item.) That’s probably on the worse end of the RNG.

Edit: Figured I’d fill in the rest of the classes. Wiz and Crusader took 4, and Necro took 3. So, the grand total of Puzzle rings for me was 26 for 6 classes, or a bit more than 4 rings per class on average. (Which was about what I was expecting going in.)

Save yourself the trouble of gem of ease and boots and all that noise. if a lvl7 opens the game you have the same drop table as they do at 70. Just use a pawn to open games while your 70 smashes through rings.

To add, you don’t “need” to do it at T1. If you equip a level 1 character a level 70 weapon with a Gem of Ease in the socket at normal difficulty it shouldn’t take too long to get to level 5. Once at level 5, open a Vault with Illusory Boots in the Cube. Walk through the Vault and Greed will drop 2 legendary items even at Normal difficulty and killing her will only raise you to level 6 (maybe 7) and you can open another Vault without having to level another character to level 5.

3 Likes

Just want to highlight what Khord said above me. You can run the vault on Normal and still have the same drop odds.

The benefit is that with each run, the character will level up much slower meaning it can be used several times before it reaches level 11. That cuts down on the number of times you have delete, remake and relevel a class to 5. It’s possible that you could get all three ethereals on one character before it hits 11. (You’d have to remake it at that point to change to a new class.)

Plus, on Normal, if you accidentally click/kill something on the way to Greed, it won’t rocket the levels up like the higher difficulties will. You don’t want to enter a high difficulty Vault as a level 9, accidentally kill something and shoot up to 13, thus wasting the ring.

4 Likes

Make a game with lvl 5 char on T6.
Join that game with char lvl 10 or more (NOT less).
Lvl 5 char leaves game.

Other lvl >= 10 chars may enter.

Run vaults as much as you like while killing everything. Game lvl won’t go up.

Greed’s box can drop up to 4 ethereals.
Yes, I’ve gotten 4 few times.

Once your char has em all, do it with anoter one.

No need to run with illusory boots and being tricky about killing things…

Many players play solo, so yeah, they do need the boots and non-killing ‘trick’

3 Likes

That is some incredible luck. I’ve ran around 100 rings for my 3 accounts in the 3 regions. That’s 300 boxes. Every single time there were only 2 leg drops. I do like the snapshot better as a couple of the higher level gobs will drop an ethereal on the way to gheed. I can understand it being a pain if you’re solo though, having to beg someone to come hold your game while you switch classes.

1 Like

I actually decided to start this last night. Aside from my main barbarian, I’ve gotten 3 classes done with only using 7 rings and it took all of maybe 30 minutes. Dropping the difficulty to Normal was a huge time saver.

Thanks, all, for your help!

1 Like

Don’t do it on T6 unless you have someone snapshot the game for you.

Just make a level 5 game and play on normal.

You should get about 5 chances to kill Gheed without having to make a new game.

I did it with about 20 puzzle rings this way for 6 characters.

Then got the last 3 on my DH just playing the game.

Took just a couple of days to complete the entire set.

1 Like

I completed this last night. It definitely helped to drop the difficulty to Normal so you don’t over-level after you kill Greed. And, don’t forget to cube Illusionary Boots, otherwise you’ll waste a ring >.<

All said and done, it took between 60-90 minutes. It definitely helped to have hoarded Puzzle Rings.

I’m running on T6 still and it works even if you level. I get about 14 levels per run and after 2 runs i usually have at least 1 ethereal drop. I just did the necro and had 1 drop at 17 when i killed greed. did the 2nd run and 2 dropped at 25.
All i wear is a level 70 2h weapon (with str) and class hellfire amulet with rank 70 LoD gem. I kill everything and had 1 ethereal drop for crusader on way to greed. at 9 of 21 collected.
But after reading some of the posts maybe it’s time to try with only killing Greed.

I found all of my mine by just playing the game, and I did not even make all the classes… just 3. Maybe everyone should stop looking to get every thing “right now” and just play. Millennials… the participation trophy generation.