Puzzle Rings to hunt Ethereals?

I’ve gotten quite the collection of Puzzle Rings during my endeavors so far; almost half of a tab stash worth. If I want to go after the other Ethereals for the FoS, what is the best use of these rings? Create a new character, level it to 7, use ring, then delete the character and repeat?

Yeah, use Illusury boots, kill Greed at lvl 7

Do you have to kill Greed at level 7, or open the portal at level 7? Otherwise, how do you kill the goblins and whatnot without going over 7?

Also, does it matter what Torment?

Illusory Boots - walk through / past mobs on way to Greed, don’t kill anything.

Do it on T6. Youtube has numerous videos on the process.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you!

EDIT: The video I just watched said you only need to be level 5; is that just a minimum or do your odds increase at level 7?

I only levelled them to 6 but pretty much, yeah…

1 Like

Thanks!

I don’t intend to do this just yet, I want to hit my Paragon and GR goal first. After that, I’m sure I’d be bored enough to Ethereal hunt.

I went to lvl 5 and did this for most of my eth items. It’s not fun, and it’s irritating that this is the best way to do it, but it really is the best way to do it.

To get low level ethereals fast using Puzzle rings you need to be a level 5 at least. Use any level 70 weapon and Gem of Easy level 25 in it. Create new chracter and create a T1 game.
Go to any location and kill 2-3 mobs to get to level 5. Open Vault, skipp all and run to the Greed and kill only her. There are 2 guaranteed legendaries from her chest. Being level 5 to 10 you have very small loot pool to choose from - basically Leoric Crown and that’s it. Thus you will get 1-2 ethereals from this chest at level 5 to level 10. On T1 game you get to levl 8 after killing Greed. These ethereals will be low level and unusable by end game but you get all 21 of them fast for an achievement.

How to get a lot of puzzle rings - level any character to level 31. Get 1200-1500 blood shards with your main character. Switch to your level 31 character and gamble at Kadala - there are like 3-4 legendary rings at that level and you will get 2-4 Puzzle rings on average from 1200-1500 blood shards. Rinse and repeat.

3 Likes

Do you recall how many rings you went through to get this? I have a ton (at least, what I consider a ton for my limited play time). I’m going to continue to hoard them until I’m ready to spend them.

That’s why you run this in a group. Yeah, it’s kind of painful that it takes awhile to get a group, but eventually you will find people. With a group of 4 with 3+ puzzle rings each, and snapshotting the vault, this goes so much faster.

I spent like 15 to get all 21 ethereals - 3 I got playing DH and then did the rest using level 5 character and Vaults. After 10 rings I leveled this character to 31 and spend 1200 shadrs getting 3 more rings.
Sometimes - like twice - I got only 2 leoric Crowns but on average 2 ethereals.
I killed Malevolent Tormentor goblin in the Vault - he drops guaranteed legendary, so one more chance per Vault if you get him spawn from the pile of gold.

You can enter the Vault and die and then wait till you buddy kill all in the Vault except Greed. Resurrect, check the map and then go to Greed. This way it is working too.

I’m, unfortunately, going to have to do this solo. As long as there is any easier way than actually “hunting” for them, I’ll be ok using a tedious method.

I can help you if you want - right now or later, send me a message in game when you will be online.

I appreciate that! But, I don’t really get on til about 8:30 CST. I have a goal in mind to hit P1000 as quickly as I can, too. At 950 right, so, close!

On three classes I got them all in 2 runs each.
On a couple of classes it took 3 runs each.
One class took 4 runs.
So, 16 puzzle rings.

It’s more likely to come down to how many duplicates you get than not getting any at all.

3 Likes

Oh, I should have plenty, then.

Thanks, MB!

So far my count is: Barb 6 rings, Crus 4, Monk 4, WD 4. I still need Wizard and Necro and I main DH so that class is covered.

So far, it took me 15 to get 3 classes down. Barbarian took 3, DH and WD each took 6. (And had like 4x of one item.) That’s probably on the worse end of the RNG.

Edit: Figured I’d fill in the rest of the classes. Wiz and Crusader took 4, and Necro took 3. So, the grand total of Puzzle rings for me was 26 for 6 classes, or a bit more than 4 rings per class on average. (Which was about what I was expecting going in.)

Save yourself the trouble of gem of ease and boots and all that noise. if a lvl7 opens the game you have the same drop table as they do at 70. Just use a pawn to open games while your 70 smashes through rings.