Puzzle ring farming doesn't work?

Watching filthy casual’s puzzle ring video I decided to try to farm some puzzle rings. After farming over 5000 blood shard’s and gambling them with a level 31 DH I have a total of 3 puzzle rings!!! Why? I was expecting to get a puzzle ring in 1 out of 3 tries but it was instead like 1 out of 30 tries!

It’s one puzzle ring out of every 3 legendaries, You’re going to get a lot of yellow and blue trash too. Also RNG blows.

7 Likes

I have a hard time understanding this filthy casual but I thought he said there were only three rings that would roll for a level 31. You are probably right cause I get tons of blues and yellows.

Yeah, it’s only 3 legendaries (Puzzle, Leoric’s Signet and Broken Promises) among all the yellows and blues.

It does take some time depending on your luck, but it’s way faster than waiting on world drops.

6 Likes

That is just a bit below average.

Every time I gambled with 1500 I got 1 or 2.

Sometime I got none once in a while I got 3.

So you should have gotten around 4 or 5.

You probably need about 20-30 k shards to get the 20 or so ring you need.

2 Likes

You could upgrade the rare rings as you went if you had the spare mats to do so as well. That can increase your chances a tad. At least I think that works at level 31, I can’t recall right now.

You can only upgrade lvl 70 items, and when you do that, it will not consider your character lvl, and will upgrade from the whole item pool. I learned that the hard way.

8 Likes

Just bad RNG. I gamble 1200 each time. one-time no puzzle then the next, 4. the method works. I have gotten my 21. There is another layer of RNG for getting 3 of each class.

3 Likes

On average I got 1 ring roughly every 1500 bloodshards.

Please understand that RNG can be a fickle thing. I once spent over 6000 bloodshards and got nothing but I also had a couple of times where I got three for 1500.

I fiddled with varying the difficulty from T6 to normal and back but the difference appeared negligible. By the time I was approaching anything close to enough for statistical consideration I had already collected all my ethereals.
(Superstition says normal worked better but I can’t really tell because RNG varies enough that any feeling would be exactly what I called it. Superstition.)

Perhaps someone else can shed light on the appropriate difficulty.

Overall wasn’t a bad experience and was a decent pace considering.
My deepest appreciation to all those who shared input on this method.

3 Likes

The difficulty of the game has no effect on gambling shards.

5 Likes

Kadala. Four times 1,350 shards and dont even one Puzzle Ring.

What’s the deal with puzzle rings?

I put them in the cube and do the Vault, but it would appear I am noobing my way through just smashing everything immediately.

It’s clear there is a better way to do the Vault thing, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Are you doing the Vault runs for Ethereal farming? If so, there’s a few things to do. (Others explained it below.)

If not, smashing your way through it is pretty much how it works!

3 Likes

If you do the low level thing, I believe level 5 or 7, you should only kill Greed. Not the goblins or the monsters, cause you would need to be that level at the boss in order to get etherals ( better chance anyway ).

1 Like

If you do the low level thing, I believe level 5 or 7, you should only kill Greed. Not the goblins or the monsters, cause you would need to be that level at the boss in order to get etherals ( better chance anyway ).

Not true, I enter the vault as a brand new character, and clear the first area, which generally gets me to level 5, then I focus on the treasure piles, and kill the gobs that spawn. This usually takes me to level 7, which is where I go kill greed.

This way I am not wasting time somewhere else leveling to 6, which would mean I would have to be very careful gathering the treasure piles, and limit my goblin killing on the way to greed.

On average Greed gives 1+ Ethereals (0-2 per kill), and the Malevolent Tormentors can drop them as well, with a guaranteed legendary. Plus you get a chance at Blood Thiefs for more shards to gamble more rings.

You can also head back into the vault as the clock is counting down, and get any treasure or gobs you missed if you really need the gold.

1 Like

For the vault, I kept weapon in inventory, so damages are ridiculous if by mistake I hit an enemy, and I equipped it just before the greed

2 Likes

Ah ok, thank you for explaining, I wasn’t understanding at all, this is my 2nd season so still a noob somewhat.

Key to helping make it very easy is to cube Illusory Boots, so you can run through the mobs, and make a level 70 yellow dagger (all classes can equip), and using the cube recipe “Work of Cathan” to remove the level requirement with a level 25+ Gem of Ease. Don’t slot the Gem, as you do not want the exp bonus.

1 Like

Make a lvl 31 hero and when you get max shards, load the lvl 31 in town, gamble rings.

There is a higher chance of puzzles at this level.

Check it out and you’ll be glad you did!

1 Like

5000 blood shards is nothing.

Try 25000 or even 50000 blood shards.

I made a 31 level DH. I farm to over 1500 blood shards with my main DH, than switch to my 31 lvl and gamble.

Once I got 4 Puzzle rings at once with my 31 lvl DH in one try…
I earned over 20 puzzle rings this way…

1 Like