PTR patch 2.7.4 notes are up! Let's talk DH

PTR patch notes are up! Unfortunately no changes for the DH, though we have sanctified powers. They are the following:

- Strafe now casts the last non-channeled Hatred spending ability casted.

- Casting Vengeance unleashes a barrage of rockets that deal damage equal to a percentage of an enemy’s current hit points. The percentage per rocket is reduced if the enemy is an Elite or Boss. This effect cannot occur more than once every 60 seconds.

- Firing Cluster Arrow concentrates its explosive force into a piercing ray of light.

Only one can be equipped at a time, but on the surface the last two would be the most effective given our meta build is M6 unless strafe spenders also fire from sentries as well (in which we could give up vault?)

Curious about the exact %'s for vengeance, as this would scale well in high GR’s. Thoughts?

What about strafing with UE MS?

1 Like

That is certainly something I intend to try out. It will greatly depend on if the autocasts use resource or not.

The big problem I see with using Strafe for MS, you won’t have a clear way of directing it, the shots will be going all over the place rather than in a targetted direction.

I expect that skills which have homing abilities will be far more effective in this case, such as the homing rockets rune of Cluster Arrow. UE would not benefit from that, but M6 and the Nat Hybrid could, but then again the CA seasonal effect is likely to be far superior to the strafe option and we can only use one at a time.

Kinda wanna see this - just wave after wave of MS shots spewing all over the screen … trash killa!

I think the first power is pretty nice for zDH. Autocasting MS Wind Chill while strafing makes the playstyle of zDH much more comfortable

2 Likes

sanctified powers are seasonal only ?
(Runs into the room and cry)

Angelic Crucibles . Once uncovered by Nephalem, these heavenly artifacts can be used to Sanctify any equippable Legendary item. Sanctifying an item reforges it to have perfect Ancient-level stats on all affixes while also preserving the item’s Legendary Power. In addition, this process adds one of three new powers unique to each class.

Hmmm…was watching Raxx video and he seems to think this was adapting his primal reforge consumable idea…but it seems like you still need to have the right rolls on the item and then the Sanctifying just maxes them at Ancient level…so that HPS with wrong element and no crit or Impale is still garbage. To me it’s like you get the right rolls but crap values (like a squirt’s that rolls 15ele/8chc/70chd) and BOOM sanctify to perfect.

Pretty cool in my book…not cool you can only wear one at a time though…should be at least 1 armor, 1 weap, 1 jewelry…

1 Like

totally agree…especially since I sometimes forget to cast it…but you’d still have to weave entanglings in…

From my reading, I don’t think that is how it works. It reforges the item, which means that you get another set of random properties. Especially when it notes: " * No stats are preserved when Sanctifying an item."

1 Like

I am just hoping the drop rate for the crucibles isn’t too low, since your probably going to need to roll on average 5-10 times to get the stats you want. Just thinking about how many times it takes to get a good item on PTR when you have unlimited reforges for the most part. Usually takes me 50-100 times to get a good roll. Remove the need to get a primal and you have 5-10 times on average. Well, PTR is just around the corner so we shall see.

Can GoD be more effective with the first one?
I wonder if you fire one generator and one spender and have both go off strafing.
Probably won’t be more than a fun build first guess, can you guys make a estimate on this.

First thought would be MS and HA with Yang’s equipped.

GoD buffs only generators so spenders would deal only a miniscule amount of damage by comparison.

3 Likes

Crushing blow mechanic based on monster HP pool. GR tier shouldn’t affect the %, just actual damage numbers since HP is increased per tier. I d imagine similar to GR condy with a penalty on elites/RG.

I am more curious about " Firing Cluster Arrow concentrates its explosive force into a piercing ray of light." Cluster bombs turns into “rockets”? Really want PTR to confirm its effect.

I don’t get the impression of rockets. It will likely be more similar to the wizard skills Disintegrate and Ray of Frost. A damage beam. Hopefully it won’t be a stationary beam, if it ends up being like the rotating arcane beams, that would be quite nice.

On stream I asked Dieoxide what he thought it would look like. His guess was Vengeance:Side Cannons. I think this makes the most sense. Maybe we’ll see 4 thin beams in an x-formation because the Cluster Arrow normally puts out 4 grenades.

Perhaps he meant visually. Honestly we won’t really know until tomorrow when we can see it first hand. Side Cannons is two beams and they emanate from player position, however this beam will be emanating from the impact site. The impression I got from the description was of a single beam (tho the X suggestion sounds better to me). My imagination of it is being similar to the Arcane rotating beams that some mobs place, with it rotating slowly around in a circle.

The bigger question is will sentry fired CA also activate the beams, if so that will be quite a sight.

1 Like

Let’s examine the Cluster Arrow skill description:

Fire a cluster arrow that explodes for 650% weapon damage as Fire into a series of 4 additional grenades that each explode for 250% weapon damage as Fire.

I see two explosions types:

1. The Initial Projectile explosion.
  2. The 4 additional Grenades.

The description of the effect says:

Firing Cluster Arrow concentrates its explosive force into a piercing ray of light.

So it’s almost as if #2 turns into something else, the sum of 4 parts. Maybe 1 beam that hits for 1000% weapon damage?

What would the happen to the Rocket runes of Shooting Stars and Maelstrom? Maybe those rockets stick around and those become the strongest runes?

Perhaps you just have to cross the beams to make the most damage?

1 Like

True, I realized that after my post. Thanks all the same :blush:,
NatGoD could be a solution but it is clunky… and then we have the need for the Nat weapon …
I will definitely try it out even it’s only a fun build. If I can manage to get the last months worth of testing. Summer is a no gaming period for me. Hope the rest have a happy hunting!
Cheers all, Stedia.

My first thought was in line with StarElvens impression of a linear damage.
So the sum of CA’s damage in a line behind the original target.

2 Likes

It reads to me like the explosive force becomes the beam, thus it would not shatter into the 4 parts… But who knows, all we can do is guess til we see it in person.