PTR Ethereal Drop Rate

I propose for the Ethereal drop rate to be the same as if it were in Season 24. Ethereals are already gonna be obtainable through the PTR vendor, so they’re already easy to get. This will atleast give players a real taste of what to expect, and be able to give accurate feedback if we (the testers) feel the drop rate is too high or low.

2 Likes

He’s referring to PTR, new or updated items can be bought at Djank Mi’em. I guess the same goes for Ethereal weapons.

• There will be three PTR-unique buffs active to help you on your journey: increased Legendary drop rate, increased experience gains, and double Blood Shard drops. You can also buy new gear for testing from the special PTR vendor, Djank Mi’em, who will exchange Blood Shards for class-specific bags full of Legendary items and Ethereals that we’d love for you to test!
4 Likes

Just don’t buy it :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

The predicted 1 in 200 drop rate isn’t horrible, that’s like 1 in 20 grifts right? 1 hour of speed farming 3 min runs.

Putting them on Djank was the smartest thing they could have done, i would feel sad if those Ethereal items were junk after wasting 45-90 min grinding for the first. Better to get the info early and do something else with my evening if there is too little to test.

You must be guessing feedback from a convenient PTR won’t be the same, IMHO we’ll get more armchair critiques if people have to farm them, that means fewer people actually fumbling with their gear and realizing that the Ethereal’s legendary effect just replaced one they already had.

²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²

isn’t 1 in 200 weapons drop?

1 Like

Honestly, It’s hard to say…Just kinda depends. Are Ethereals gonna be it’s own loot tablet not factored into Weapons? Is it going to have a low weight considering it can be obtained at level 1? Or is it gonna be attached to all weapons loot tables, which would make it harder to obtain possibly? I’m kinda expecting it to be kinda like Gifts or Potions being it’s own loot table…But just depending, 1 in 200 isn’t bad imo.

1 Like

Excellent point. Perhaps that’s why they kept it vague, giving a range of between Ancient and Primal. When you add something to a pool of possibilities, it offsets the odds, ie, did they turn 400 sided dice into 402 sided dice?

I have no idea how their game was coded:

Legendary: 359 in 400
Ancient: 40 in 400
Primal: 1 in 400

Will it become this:

Legendary: 359 in 402
Ancient: 40 in 402
Primal: 1 in 402
Ethereal: 2 in 402

Or will it do this:

Legendary: 357 in 400
Ancient: 40 in 400
Primal: 1 in 400
Ethereal: 2 in 400

I’m not seeing Ethereal as being part of a multi-process RNG, where it first determines the type of item [mace, helm, bracer, etc.], then does another dice roll again to determine if it’s legendary, ancient, primal, or ethereal. Again no idea how their system is built, though I’m sure it was created for efficiency based on the volume of simultaneous item creation requests that occurs during peak times.

3 Likes

agreed, they problably previewed this problem and will use ramaladni’s code as base for ethereals.

3 Likes

The problem is that the passive and the legendary power is random. You might be looking for passive x and legendary power y. Instead you get some other odd combination that won’t help your build. It gets worse because the legendary power is what is important due to needing it for your build. That is unless the one you get buffs your damage so much that you can use it instead of what you would want to have.

You won’t really know until PTR ends. If you’re that curious, you may try to not get any Ethereal items from D’jank Miem to observe droprates but legendary drop rates are amped up so you can never really tell. Just wait and see, and until then just try to enjoy the PTR.

You won’t know until Thursday when PTR opens.

Shouldn’t this add up to 400?

5 Likes

I think they made it vague to leave an opening to tweak the drop rate at any time. They can then adjust the rate to meet THEIR expectations. Then everyone can blame RNG if the rate didn’t meet YOUR expectations. Just like primals.

3 Likes

The big thing we won’t know until testing starts is since it is ONLY weapons that are ethereal does the drop chance get skewed? 1:100 and 1:400 ancient and primals are fine when it’s ALL legenadary drops. Weapons are 1 in 13 item slots, so the drop rate could be skewed higher due to this.

1 Like

haha yeah, a typo – will fix that

Drop rate during PTR

• 1 every 5mins

Drop rate during the next season:

• we’ll see! But I think I’ll be easier to have all of them

You know Blizzard has never had a drop rate. They never said the primals should drop every 400. Have they said everything about Ethereal drop rate NO. They will drop when they drop. Just like Primal they drop when they drop.

Sorry just play the game hope for the best like most normal people do.

Primals are actually pretty flexible. Gambling tests show that their rarity may place between 1/380 (0.26%) and at random may climb up to 1/435 (0.22%). Mind you, this is just gambling part from Kadala and Kanai’s Cube, Ethereals has to be looted so I doubt they’d be tipping any scales.
If it has to change something they can easily integrate the new items to the lowest available legendary pools for each class (some legendaries are not available to some classes on gambling afterall) and you can never tell the difference between that and the old 1/400 statistically. When Primal drop rates are supposedly random, the loot frequency will change and range will yawn here and there at practice.

If I have to buy the necro pack just to get them all, that’s a definite no.

1 Like