PS5 to PS4 - Unable to Join game

Good day all,

Ok, so I got a very weird problem.
My wife and I are both gamers. She has a PS4 Pro, I have a PS5. We both have copies of Diablo III . She plays on her console/tv and I play on mine. While we appreciate couch co-op mode, in our case, we enjoy the ability to have a full screen to ourselves.

Ok, that being said, when I attempt to Join my wife’s game, I get a cannot join game notice. It doesnt matter if I attempt to join or she invites me, its the same. Now, on the other hand, if I invite my wife or she attempts to join me, it works. So what is going on? We are on the same home internet. Why am I not able to JOIN her game?

Kaz

1 Like

Highly doubt is has anything to do with Diablo 3…

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/games/join-game-psn/

But, you could at least first try other games to see if they join bidirectionally.

While I appreciate the link, it really has no info that I need.

I will see what I can find for other games we can test.

It has how to contact Sony support, assuming other games fail as well, which implies you have a larger issue that no one here is going to fix.

“Failed to Join Party. Unable to join party. (3)” error when trying to play Call Of Duty Black Ops Cold War is usually an indication of a connection problem when trying to form a party, or play online with a party. You can follow this thread about PS5 errors. The guy has fixed all the errors.

Some players encounter this error while attempting to join their friends in a party, while others may get it while already n a party and ready to go.

Because there are multiple possible reasons for this problem, players are advised to perform a number of troubleshooting steps to fix it. At this time, there’s no known universal fix for this error and exact solutions vary on the platform.

I have the same issues on ps5. Me and my wife can only play private games together. The games multiplayer is so broken without lobbies right now… matchmaking doesnt even support the most basic obvious feature of grouping up with friends prematch and then a lobby leader joining a public game… no way to make a private game and invite friends then make it public… and beating a quest turns the current game into a free roam game instead of making it the next available quest when searched. This is so inexcusably broken at the moment and needs some big changes. Its worse than the diablo 3 auction house in my opinion… they clearly never played a modern game with matchmaking… and switch the default player count to 8 so people don’t have to switch it to 8 every single time when searching… not that you will ever find an 8 player match on console because its basically impossible. I join a public game and none of my friends can join me… i make a private game where i can invite them and the public cant play with us. This is one of the worst game designs in history, especially considering original diablo 2 lobbies is such a basic and easy to use thing… if it aint broke dont fix it and at minimum DONT Delete the original system if the new system doesnt work and is awful. So absolutely disappointed with the god awful state of multiplayer on consoles. We deserve call of duty style matchmaking lobbies and we deserve a game browser like original diablo 2… its so obvious this was completely cheaped out on and it destroys the multiplayer experience that makes diablo 2 a legendary game.

Not the same issue, its a design issue.

Hey all,

Ok, so just wanted to give an update… This continues to be an issue…
We have further learned that others outside of our home can join my wife’s game but I still can not. She can join my game without issue. I thought maybe it was a setting in her PS4 Pro but we havent been able to find anything in that system that would stop it. Ive tried changing what network my PS5 is on, that didnt do anything. I am so at a loss why Im not able to connect to her game…

@ZanyDruid - You mentioned following the thread of PS5 errors, but not sure if you meant to post a link or not??

let me try to help, if I can

First, what kind of connection your wife’s PS4 and your PS5 use? I assume you both using wifi to the same ISP network? so like ISP->your modem/router->additional router (if any)->PS4 & PS5?
next, I need to know your NAT type. you can check it by PS4/PS5 network test, or use a pc/laptop connected to the same network as your ps4/ps5, open a command prompt (CMD), type ipconfig, then open a browser and google whatsmyip, and compare both IPs. if its different its probably NAT2 type.

NAT2 usually have this kind of problem with playstation online games that does not have a dedicated server, or simply put: games that the multiplayer is when one ps4 act as a host/server, and other ps4 connects into it. Different from games like battlefield where all ps4 connects to another server that is not a ps4. The problem arises is that for a ps4 to be able to act properly as a server, there are several network security protocols that must be allowed, and NAT2 usually have blocked ports that does not allow such connections, that is why PSN guide anywhere suggest you to open few ports to have it fixed.

there are several fixes to that depending on how your router is set up by your ISP so let me know about the details above.