Progress orb can follow you into the next floor in GR

I was just running a speed GR with my GoD DH a few minutes ago, and encountered a yellow elite right at the portal to the next floor. I killed it, collected its 4 orbs and immediately went through the portal. After I already moved about 50 yards away at the next floor from the portal, one progressed orb popped out of it and dropped on the ground. I actually had to move back to collect it. Presumably, one of my hungering arrow eventually killed off all of that elite’s followers after I already left, and this final progress orb followed me into the next floor.

2 Likes

So a good thing?

more of an interesting thing

Too bad you didn’t video record it. That would have been funny to watch. (hehe)

But, yeah. It’s not surprising since the extra Progression Orb drops at your feet when the last Minion of an Elite Group dies.

Yep. Had this with the odd DoT skill and/or minions with an extended death sequence like Grotesques (“poppers”). I remember one time vividly because I was at 99% and wanting to check the next floor for a pylon and spawned the rift guardian without killing anything on that floor!

There are several actions tied to your character and not the monster/etc. For example the extra gems from Broken Crown fall at your feet while the ones from the monster you killed spawn near it. Same for the extra Death’s Breaths from the Altar or Sage’s set. The extra orb from blue packs aren’t as much of a problem as you need to kill all of the pack for the orbs to drop. But with yellow mobs if a DoT finishes off the last pack member the extra orb from the altar will appear near you.

This makes some sense because the effect is tied to feats the character has unlocked or gear the character is wearing and not the monster or chest that granted the initial item.

I’ve noticed it doing that a lot while speed farming. I can be quite a long way away and suddenly I see the final orb plop down on me.