Primal not showing before hover

When looting a primal item, the frame around the item is the same frame as normal legendary.

When going over the frame, the frame changes and become a primal frame.

Since, most of people don’t go over the items they don’t need, they recycle primal by accident and think they don’t loot primal.

1 Like

It has been reported since primal was firstly added.

You need to click the items to salvage them. So, you must have hovered them.

Primal has a patterned background all the time. You can use this to distinguish between ancient and primal, even you haven’t hoved them.

That s what I am saying. They don’t have at all time.
If you don’t go hover the item, the frame around the item is not displayed.
It’s only displayed in the overlay.
When you speed run, you salvage 20 items every 3 mins.
It’s normal that people think they don’t loot primal.
Because, the frame does not appear.
It’s just an easy fix. Why is it not fixed if it s known ?

I said pattern background, not the frame. The background is always there.

It was a decision from art designer, rather than a programming bug.

So, you are saying that they choose en purpose to put the frame orange first and when you quit the hover put it on red ?
I think it s UX bug not a programming bug btw.
Misleading your player on purpose is not really nice to experience.

This is not a bug. When you first ID an item, its frame is illuminated to show you which objects are recent and which aren’t. That illumination effect masks the frame itself, so you can’t tell whether it is a normal legendary, an ancient, or a primal ancient until you mouse over the object and the illumination goes away.

It is clearly a design decision to allow the player to know which items were recently aquired and which aren’t. The same effect occurs when you upgrade gems. When you open your stash or inventory, the recently upgraded gems (or the items that they are socketed in) have the same illuminated frame.

The color of the frame depends on the item quality.
The effect should be applied as a red glowing effect not an orange one to me.
You can see different effects on blue, yellow and orange.
You have 0.25% change of looting this kind of items.
To me displaying them with an orange glowing frame is an UX mistake.

As said before, it was a design decision. Programming can’t change it without designer’s approval.

Primal has these differences: red beam, red thumbnail frame, patterned thumbnail background, and red detail screen border.

Try getting used to use thumbnail background to identify a primal (before mouse hover).

Thanks for your answer.
Btw, I don’t identify items before recycling them.
I just know that I recycled a primal because I received 15 shards ^^
Can you show me what you mean by that ?

Primal items not only have a red beam when they drop, they also have a swirling red mist around the beam so they stand out more than Legendary or Set items. And if you drop a Primal item on the ground it will still show the red beam and red mist. Other items will not do this.

Agreed. If you can’t even take the time to look at what you’re about to salvage, then I have a hard time believing any number of signs and/or blinking lights will help you with this.

As Maskraider stated, you have to mouse-over an item before your click it to salvage it. And even then you have to click “OK” on the warning message that pops up, which also gives you a chance to “Cancel” the action.

Then, you should at least take a fraction of a second to mouse-over it.

Can you show me the effect you are referencing to on an unidentified item ?

You actually don’t have to click ok on the pop.
You can just press enter and salvage 30 items in less than 20s.

I just look at the items once and drop the items I need for my build on the floor. Cause you can see what item it is just by looking at them. You don’t need to identify them or mouse-over to see what it is.
Then, I salvage everything in my inventory.

When the items drop on the floor, sometimes you click fast and don’t see the items you just loot. I play on EU server from Thailand ^^
I am just talking about my experience of the game.
To me, it would be nice to have this effect that I can see like I can differentiate items. Maybe nobody else thinks it is useful.

The thumnail background, red beam and the icon are always there even unidentified. (Icon only appear when initial dropped.)

3 Likes

Thanks a lot I see now the pattern background.
It will be enough for me to identify it I think.

1 Like

Root cause analysis says this is the source of the problem.

If you don’t think displaying rare item as common items is a mistake, sure not focusing on the item your recycle is the source of the problem.

As said earlier, I don’t identify the object because I know already what object it is.
So, if I recycle a primal, I probably don’t need it.
But, I like to collection them for fun. To see how lucky I am to loot only useless ones.

Maybe it only happens to me.
Just saying making rare items easier to identify is profitable for the user.

Identifying them makes it inescapably apparent whether they’re legendary, ancient or primal. Not identifying them prior to salvaging them is the mistake.

Anyway, this is a game design decision, not a bug.

I would love it if Primals always showed the red border in inventory! I often don’t know that I have a primal in my bag until I hover over and if I am quickly clearing my inventory because I already have the prompt to start the next rift I often delete Primals by mistake.

This would be a very simple fix that would improve the quality of life and certainly not hurt the game in anyway, so all of the people on this thread arguing against this can rest assured, their game/fun will not be destroyed by it.

1 Like

Not exactly. You do not have to identify the items first. But, you do still need to mouse-over the item to salvage it, whether you click “OK” or press the Enter key. All that is necessary is to take a fraction of a second to look at the Primal frame before you salvage the item.

Since this is the Bug Report Forum, further discussion on this, if needed, should be taken to the General Discussion Forum.

My personal opinion? I think it would be a good quality-of-life feature to make the highlighted border around Primal items a highlighted red border for newly picked up Primal items. But, there are enough signs without it.

Blizzard would say: “It’s working as intended.

When you mouse over an item the you have not looked at this yet glow disappears. Unfortunately, that glow is the same for primals as it is for other legendaries.

I wish they would change that glow for primals. It’s not like they’re trying to hide that it’s primal. So why not update the glow to a crimson?
Everything else has a color appropriate glow. I think it just didn’t occur to them when they introduced primals.

Ugh, no. Are you aware of the insane number of legendaries that are scrapped? A fraction of a second doesn’t sound like much, but it hurts the brain to have to stop and actualize each item’s nature before salvaging it. Primals should be visible at a glance of the inventory without having to touch each individual item.