Posts that include a URL

The current way posts with URLs are handled is ridiculous. I responded to a new player’s request for help and included the text of links to Icy Vein and Diablo Wiki. I was blocked from posting because the Forum treated the text as a link. The Forum should have just treated the text as text not as a link since I am T level 2. The Forum should only convert text to a link for posters who are T level 3. After I modified my post to say to Google Icy Veins and Set Dungeons and posted, I went back to find out how to post a link without it being converted to a link. Hard to find and once found quite obscure.

Use `.

http://

Copy paste link text. Highlight it. Click the formatting button at the top of the post that looks like </>

That will create a pre-formatted text block that protects your link text.

Why convert the text to a link on a post where the poster is not permitted to post a link? Why not just let the text be text on posts from a “member”. Why are Icy Veins and Diablo Wiki not Trusted?

1 Like

Icyveins guides suck anyway because they are grossly outdated.

You would have to ask Discorse, who makes the software. The white list is controlled by Blizz who has some ability to tweak settings in the software.

The old forum software only allowed clickable links to Blizzard links. Nobody could click or embed anything at all. Obviously due to issues with links to malware and scams.

Trying to make Blizz look at why Icy Veins and Diablo Wiki are not trusted is one of the reasons for this thread. Another was just blowing off steam because it was annoying to have to rewrite the post because I could not look up how to format the links without deleting the post. The links to Icy Veins and Diablo Wiki were totally innocuous.

You would think they are safe. Sadly they are not always safe. The problem is that most websites had advertisers that come from third party advert services. The site mods don’t vet and control every add. Some of the bad guys have been known to sneak malware in adds that are innocently played on fan sites.

1 Like

That’s why no one should visit forums without active virus protection. Are you suggesting that none of the guides have anything in the guide that has ads? Actually, you can’t even look at anything on the internet without good virus software. I could not read the articles on CNN’s website one night recently because my virus software kept warning me of malware in an add on CNN’s website. The warning covers my entire screen which makes it impossible to read anything else.

It’s odd that some of Blizzard’s own domains aren’t even on the white list, e.g. the armoury site, the game guide, and so on. It makes zero sense that we can’t provide links to our own hero’s armoury pages without TL3.

I guess they consider some of their own domains unsafe then, even though they have complete control over what appears on them, because there are Blizzard-owned domains that aren’t on the white list.

Heck, I asked about all this back in July 2019 when the new forums went live. The thread devolved into embedded cat and dog videos rather than discussing which sites should be added to the whitelist.

1 Like

It’s crap. I’ve seen better non-commercial BB software. I find it hard to believe as big and bloated as Blizzard is there isn’t one person allowed to administer it without consulting three law firms, all of middle management, and half of the board of directors on every minor issue.

What? You can’t open a second page and look up something from it? I do this all the time. You can even highlight/copy and then re-paste it if you have to.

For some reason, this makes me laugh.

Game on.

Didn’t want to do the research at that point. Again, why make link text a link if the poster is not allowed to post that link? Blizz had to write the software to block the post from being posted. Why not just make the link “text only” rather than a “link” instead of making “members” jump thru hoops to post the text? Or they could have added the wording “Links must be in bold or italics to post” to the warning that said “not allowed to post link”.

Obviously, Blizz is trying to make sure that they have no risk of a player suing them because the player got to a site where malware infected the player’s computer through a Blizz site. They have already failed. Blizz has a link to TESPA which has links to advertisers and Facebook.

Obviously?

No.

Its more readily obvious that they simply haven’t properly coded the site to accept trusted sites and worked out kinks.

You getting a virus from improper practices while visiting ANY site is not the fault of a particular site.

Try blaming Facebook when you get a bad PuP or Malware from an ad link. They will laugh at you.

That would be a good explanation except that the diablo3.com domain isn’t even on their white-list, i.e. you cannot post links to your armoury page, the game guide, rankings and so on. That is a Blizzard-owned domain. I requested it be added to the white list back in July 2019. Still not added.

Also, once you have Trust Level 3, you can create clickable links to any domain you like (although obviously within the restrictions of the Code of Conduct) so a TL3 poster could post URLs to d3planner, icy-veins and so on. So, wouldn’t that leave them open to the same law-suits?

I didn’t say they knew what they were doing. I just said they were paranoid. Otherwise, why worry about links at all?

About their own domains though?