Poor Sound Quality?

Just relaunched D3 for the first time since last winter. Have had same PC for 2+ years now. Last winter when I played D3 audio sounded good. Now it sounds very terrible and it chops in/out any time discord pings the game or something of that matter. The sound gets worse as the game goes on, and is bad when in combat with enemies.

• make sure the sound driver is up to date.
  • make sure your OS is up to date (warning: if your are on Win 10, don’t upgrade to build 2004 as many reports on problem playing D3.)
  • make sure you select the correct sound settings in D3.

If above doesn’t help, post on Technical Support forum, or input a ticket to contact support. This is a technical issue, not a bug.

Hello Maskraider,

Just a heads-up… On the Europe French language forums, we have a case of a player on Windows 10 build 20H2 with the same problem… worse, replacing the fmodex64.dll file did not solve the issue.

Not sure what the situation is in Asia… perhaps you will start seeing the same issue when Microsoft starts to roll-out build 20H2.

Cheers.

Thx for telling me. I’ll stay at 1909 unless Microsoft force an upgrade.

1 Like

I’m currently running Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, Version: 2004, Build: 19041.572 with no issues.

From what I can find 20H2 will be Build: 19042.572.

Thanks for the heads-up.

1 Like

If you’re OK with Build 2004, perhaps you will be ok with Build 20H2… don’t know.
(don’t delete your OS backup until you get a chance to test it out… so you can revert back to 2004 if need be).

1 Like

I also run build 2004, and have had no sound issues. Haven’t really been paying attention to various threads, so I don’t know why my computer seems fine and others aren’t. Maybe because I’m using HDMI out for sound instead of the onboard audio?

Seems it was related to onboard Realtek sound chip in some PCs. Perhaps the old sound driver didn’t complaint to newer OS, but I’m not expert in this area.

Newer PCs might have no issues because the manufacturers provide updated drivers. However, they might stop supporting old chips.

Anyway, it is always some problems whenever upgrading OS. Problems here or there.

The bug list of 2404 was very long. Of course, not everyone hits all bugs. But we don’t know if we’ll be one of the victim.

Just the opposite here. I’m using my integrated sound system. No issues.

My onboard sound system is RealTek, driver version 6.0.8703.1, on a Gigabyte motherboard. My computer is ~4.5 years old now.

I’ve just been lucky I guess.

Windows Update finally updated me to Build 19042.572, Version 20H2. So far, no issues outside D3. Will test in D3 shortly.

Microsoft finally extended his evil hand to me yesterday. I’m now on 2004. Fortunately, no issue found (yet).

Interestingly, the option “upgrade to 20H2” has gone. Don’t know when it will come back.

1 Like

I’m sure I don’t need to tell you this, but you can manually update to version 20H2 from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

In the Search field I put: Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 and came up with this list: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Update%20to%20Windows%2010%2C%20version%2020H2

Yes, I know that.
I want to defer the grand upgrade as much as possible because usually that means bugs. The later it comes, the less buggy it will be.

1 Like

Again, I’m sure you know more about this than I do. But, I would think you could manually update to version 20H2. It would probably require a system restart. But then, before doing anything else, “Check for Windows Updates”. This should list the latest Cumulative Updates. Update to those and you should be bug-free.

And, if you back up your drive first, you should be able to recover if things don’t work as expected.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope you finally get things sorted out.