Please Add More Character Slots

Because it would be some work to set up 5 tabs tied to each class, and at the moment it seems they have a very small Dev group working on a bunch of things, and who’s to say they have even been exposed to this way of implementing stash? We have almost no idea of what the Dev’s have gotten feedback on, what they are working on, or what they their thoughts are on anything, especially now that Nev has left and we are in a pandemic, it is pretty much radio silence.

Both your method and mine have one thing in common, they are both methods of storage. I would much rather have 8 general tabs where I can keep leg gems, regular gems, and cross class jewelry/armor along with 5 tabs dedicated to each class instead of a ton of mules i have to scroll thru, load, transfer to stash, exit and load my main, then transfer the items back.

I know your method works for you, but for me and a lot of people it is very clunky and very D2. If we are going to get more storage space, I would rather than put a little time and effort into creating a quality stash, than going with the clunky, easy way out as previous Dev teams have done in other areas.

Btw, my nonseason stash has 1 free tab and another full of augment gems from previous seasons. I have no gear on most of my non-season characters (I do have 3 mules for treasure items) as I like them clean in case I want to rebirth one for seasons, and all this without owning the Necro DLC. I am far from a hoarder. I just want them to put some thought into a quality way of expanding the stash as there is many cool items I would want to keep, but have to salvage because of space issues.

1 Like

I believe players did report issues in the PTR…

I’m guessing it does…

but, this doesn’t address the issue - the core design of the game when it comes to stash is very badly designed. I don’t know what they were thinking when the designed it, but they weren’t thinking straight.

I might add that poor console players, the unwanted child of D3, get even less stash space than the PC version of the game and they couldn’t even bring up our stash spaces to match the current PC version because of “lag”. I mean, why does everyone else in the group need to be reading the entire contents of my stash? That’s just BAD game design.

Blizzard needs to actual start fixing the core issues with the game, not band aid fixes that do nothing to fix the underlying issues.

1 Like

I never understood the rationale behind that excuse, either. Why does the game load everyones stash into a game when in group?

Yup. It’s bad logic. How that even got past the initial game design phases I don’t know. Whichever dev came up with this idea should be ashamed of themselves…

1 Like

As much as we love Brandy, that is such a lame/pathetic excuse from Blizzard. More characters dont mean more opening and closing rifts. Sure thing if every build is equally powerful but the fact is some out perform some by x tiers. With more character slots, you d be able to store current out of favor items (class sets) for future revamp. Armory + stash tab will sort out different build changes.

Thing is, this is a grinding/time sink game. If you left with no reason to farm, you ll quit. So limiting storage forces you to salvage those GG gears when have no choice and refarm again when its back in favor. Seasons have less issues, its mainly NS issues. Especially for folks have 10-20k hrs playing all classes / builds and keeps 3-4 variants for 1 build when researching for BIS version.

3 slots per class = 21 slots is reasonable meaning +4 slots. Its reasonable to charge for it. Die hard fans wont mind paying for it and casuals who dont need more slots dont need to buy it. Win win for everybody.

2 Likes

They absolutely did not.

During the PTR where extra Stash Tabs were introduced there was a stickied thread on the PTR forums asking specifically for people to report any issues with the Stash / game. Not a single report was made. Not one.

During that PTR which, if you recall, initially offered 5 extra tabs, bought for gold, it took us up to 17 Stash Tabs. I bought those within the first few seconds my heroes were on the PTR and played it for the entire time the PTR was up. I played solo and in groups and didn’t have a single issue with it.

Many people did exactly that, and none of them reported an issue. Blizzard’s response was that the problems might start to occur if all 17 of the tabs were completely filled, with single square items, especially if lots of them were rings / amulets with gems socketed into them (as presumably that counts as a double item).

First they said it would cause client problems / crashes. Then they said it would cause server problems / crashes. Then they came out with the stash synchronisation explanation. Eventually, having gone through a number of reasons / excuses, we ended up getting one extra tab, obtained by Conqueror.

It made the report I submitted the following PTR even funnier…

2 Likes

I kinda hinted at what is probably the underlying issue in my previous post:

Again, no way to know that for sure, but it makes sense to me.

Meteorblade is right. Blizzard even created a dedicated PTR thread to report technical problems for people who filled up all the extra tabs they gave during the PTR. They received no bug reports whatsoever.

If extra tabs do cause technical issues, extra stash tabs would be a workaround. The code for additional tabs still exists as Meteorblades showed in another thread that is linked above in his post.

1 Like

Doesn’t surprise me. AH/RMAH were travesties anyway. I happily left D3V in mid 2012 and didn’t return to the D3 franchise until I bought the game on PS4 at the beginning of 2016. No regrets.

mmm OK.

Why can’t we salvage heroes?

With all that stuff that may exist within their stash/inventory, it would be nice to gain that salvagry upon salvaging. Deleting hero, and only deleting hero, is boring. Blah. Nothing to it. Laziness at its best. Intellectual laziness and whatnot.

I know devs can do better.

I know.

I do.

Really.

/target deadhorse
/beat

And yet, we have been told repeatedly that they can’t or won’t and later things change.

1 Like

When they change, you’ll know. It doesn’t warrant another tired thread with the same old arguments.

Most threads have focused on more stash tabs that they claim are technically impossible that is why I made this thread asking for more character slots.

Class-tabs could be a nice band-aid, if there servers really cant handle loading all the shared tabs.

But yeah, there should be more character slots as well.

I dont exactly care much about what happens to D3 at this point, but hopefully Blizzard think through the stash and character slot design in D4, so we can have substantially more of both. As we should.
If D4 actually manages to go back to its RPG roots, where builds matters, we are going to need plenty of character slots for the different builds we might make.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. This thread is full of new and interesting, groundbreaking ideas.

My mistake.

/s

You have 1100+ posts. Can you point me to few that include groundbreaking ideas?

If we stop posting about longstanding and widespread concerns that affect many players, do you think that Blizzard will think all is good? The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

4 Likes

By all means, continue to squeak.

But to be honest, space is the one thing that apparently doesn’t squeak loud enough to warrant spending money on it to fix. Just saying.

1 Like

You should be a politician. Keep on spinning!

There are two considerations relative to the financial costs.

1. More stash space
    Developers already have the code to add a couple more stash tabs as tested on the PTR although we only were given one extra (i.e. 13 max) via completing the season journey.

If they gave everyone 2 tabs for “free”, I would no longer play seasons (most likely) saving them storage space, because as of now I play both seasons/non-season and tend to fill up the tabs until near seasons end where I salvage alot.

With extra tabs, I would play non-season saving them storage space. I assume there are others like me. Minimalist would not use them so that would not lead to extra storage costs. The main benefit is that it creates good will and makes it more likely to buy D4.

1. Character slots -
    More code time but overcomes “technical issues”. Similar benefits to above.