Personal VS FFA Loot in D2

Diablo 4 is coming out, how about that one be personal and say the game everyone just wanted in HD be the game people get in HD… and not whatever game you want Diablo 2 to be or could be, or whatever you imagined it was you played before.

1 Like

Honestly, it’s because I always wanted this type of change for D2. It may not even be realistic to implement with all the old code. The fact that it may actually be possible though, is worth fighting for in my opinion. It’s the single best thing that could happen to the game.

1 Like

I would have a hard time believing FFA and personal could coexist on the same server, the economy would heavily favour FFA strong guys, pricing people that want to take it slow and team-up never get the highest of the high because of inflation. You could do FFA and Personal servers, that would be the only compromise I could see that doesn’t alienate how the game used to be played.

You clearly havnt played much… Every ladder, every year going back 2 decades, you can find plenty of games where players just want to play the game, each act, each quest, together.
Not everyone just gets rushed.

1 Like

The development team’s additional features were carefully considered so as to not intrude upon mechanics that have been greatly appreciated by long term D2 players.

FFA is not up for debate for the simple reason that the development team have played Diablo 2 over LAN with friends, and know what it feels like when a legendary drops, and they can share that visual with everyone who was present at the time of the drop. They also know what the opposite case feels like, when they’re the only one who can acknowledge the existence of a drop spite everyone standing right next to said drop. They also know what it feels like when they are the only one who can wear the item because they identified it, and what it feels like when they can share it with anyone, anywhere, at any time. They also knows that when it is possible for any items to drop contrary to class specific ones it acts as an incentive to trade or level up new characters.

They don’t want to change these mechanics to the mechanics you want, which is a replica of the mechanics in D3, because the mechanics in D3 is an atrocity to human interaction, that puts up invisible barriers between you and everyone else. In fact, the mechanics in D3 are so dreadful, that you feel isolated and lonely even when you are surrounded by other players.

“But why can’t we have different modes that we can choose from so that everyone can play the game exactly the way they want?” Simple. For the same reason we don’t need Normal mode through Torment VXVIII. It is redundant. We don’t need it. Your hypothetical scenarios in which there’s a constant ninja loot freenzy doesn’t exist.

I agree, but I can assure you they are not the ones racking it in and controlling the market.

Irrelevant with D2R if bots are unable to operate, or atleast operate on a much smaller scale. Market will then be controlled by true magic finding and items will hold their value.
Being strong in player 8 games will benefit only them, not the range characters who get to hide in the back and still collect loot, not how D2 is and not how it should be!

You have no idea what the economic consequences would be. Ultimately, it is a digital world and an economy that has been dominated by bots. Some people may not engage with the economy at all, other may make that a point of why they play. Why does it matter to the point of separating people into separate servers? I mean, if that’s what they decide to do then so be it but I think a game option would be all you need, provided they keep the drop rate the same across game mode types. Just because people would be playing the game differently is no reason to deny them of that. Of course, anyone doing anything differently will affect the “economy”. Not having bots will affect the economy more than anything by orders of magnitude. Allowing people to play together easily and without greed-griefers would be amazing and more equitable for a lot of players. It’s worth it, regardless of a meaningless digital game economy that’s been distorted artificially by bots since forever. Granted, it may not actually be that easy or even possible to implement with the old code running under the hood.

1 Like

Keep drop rate the same, keep randomization exactly the same, make every item visible to everyone, random shuffle based on number of players who can pick it up, 10 second cooldown to FFA. Make it a game type creation option.

May not even be possible but I would actually like to see it. It would change things radically, people will want to play with strangers!

2 Likes

Glad you agree that all ranged characters and summoners deserve to have every possible opportunity to pick up an item taken away from them. I bet you were amazing at snatching everything you saw.

2 Likes

D2R is, quote the devs themselves, a chance to bring the game to a much wider audience than just the people who have been playing D2 for the last 20 years.

And this is important.

If there are things that can be changed that would result in more people being able to play and enjoy the game without destroying the core experience, they should be.

And D2’s core experience was definitely not how loot gets handled. That’s a very distant point to things like characters, skills, builds, the story, the acts, the quests, mechanics like gems and runewords, etc.

4 Likes

Sounds like someone else who said Diablo was about the story, that did not turn out to be true. Diablo 2 was a loot love fest, it was what the game revolved around, do you seriously think I loved the look of Baals Throne Room that much?

Myself and many others DO believe that the FFA loot is a core aspect of D2 gameplay and we enjoy it.

People arguing for personal loot are outing themselves as D2 amateurs.
D2 is a shared loot game. It is an unforgiving world with consequences.

Everyone who knows how to find their own items will go and MF away from other people in another part of a p8 game, or in solo games.

If you are doing p8 public baal runs and expecting to find items you are playing sub-optimally. You dedicate your grind to XP or MF. If you want both doing Baal runs, make private runs.

1 Like

You’re a vocal minority at best though. The hardcore “DON’T CHANGE MY GAME AND MAKE IT MORE CONVENIENT/FUN” crowd needs to be treated as such. It’s like you’re mad people other than you might be able to play and enjoy this game without putting up with the same inconveniences you’ve had to for the last 20 years.

2 Likes

So you want them to change the game, you want a remake? Weird seemed like almost all of the crowds, especially in response to other remakes, is don’t touch core mechanics, your touching the corest of the core mechanics.

1 Like

I don’t want a remake. Actually, I super agree with keeping as much of the core game these as possible.

I just think there are certain elements that are, by today’s standards, irredeemably outdated and need fine-tuned. Mule characters? Gone pls. Cow level restrictions? Gone pls. (just make it harder to open or something). Loot clickfests? Gone pls. (but please add anti-leeching countermeasures too, like loot being weighed by how much damage you dealt to the boss or something)

2 Likes

You have no evidence to support that claim at all.

I can just as easily say that YOU are the vocal minority, and in fact that is exactly what I believe. But I know well enough that unsubstantiated claims don’t get us anywhere.

We are getting a D2 Remaster because of the devotion and love we have given the game for 20+ years. Not so that more new players can find it easier to get into.

That’s too bad because the devs said, and I quote from the interview, “We want to bring D2 to a larger, wider audience.”

3 Likes

I agree mule characters sure, but most newer games also don’t engage me in a loot system like anything Diablo 2 did, it’s still going strongish after 20 years, games still hope to emulate it but have only come close, maybe this jaded, not quite fair loot system, minus the bots and dupes, is the reason the items meant as much as they did when we got them. Diablo 3 items never got me feeling the same as items in Diablo 2 could. We are turning all games into the same systems.

Different issue IMO. Diablo 3 has a problem of overabundance of loot. I’m not suggesting there should be MORE loot in D2. I’m just saying clickfest looting is a system of the past. Change it, without changing the quantity of loot in the world.

2 Likes