PCGamesN new interview w/ D2R leads

The collection is hypergeometric, not binomial, but it doesn’t matter. The end result is the same.

Hypergeometric

If the population is 200000, and 6000 (3%) are cheaters. We grab a collection of 21 players, and look for 0 players who is cheating.

with(Statistics);
X := RandomVariable(Hypergeometric(200000, 6000, 21));
evalf(Probability(X = 0));

Result: 52.7%.

Binomial

Ignoring max population, we are looking for 21 legitimate players out of 21 players.

with(Statistics);
X := RandomVariable(Binomial(21, 0.97));
Probability(X = 21);

Result: 52.7%

I disagree with pretty much everything MicroRNA says, always, but whether you like it or not, that’s university statistics for you.

3 Likes

Do you really think I wanted to get into the difference between a binomial and hypergeometric distributions? I was trying to keep it simple.

1 Like

This is all great math and all but that is not really answering the underlying question.

Wouldn’t it be the chance that you are in a game with a cheater (which you calculated) an extremely rare item drops and that item is then picked up by a cheater? This would be an extremely lower probability.

The way it is spoken about you would think everyone who has played Diablo has seen multiple Ber runes dropped right at their feet in public games and the cheating software snagged it from them.

Edit: I skipped over their math debate a bit and didn’t see that 50% number was specifically called out. I thought it was more the underlying issue of how often do people lose drops to cheaters.

Yeah and this is why I think not having personal loot yet is a good idea.
We don’t ultimately know how often people will be using pickit software.
Until we get some data in D2R, and people start seeing things grabbed from midair,
we won’t know how likely it is they see a problem and attempt to fix it.

Personal loot is an extremely reliable cheat protection against pickit, but also has downsides.

PC players can get that skill bar. All they have to do is play with a controller.

I am pretty sure that D2R fills a few of objectives for Blizzard:

1. It provides an refresh to an old, critically acclaimed, game with a rabid fan base who have been wishing for just that for years.
  2. It repairs some burned bridges with that same fan bases that was caused when D3 deviated so far from Diablo and Diablo 2.
  3. It provides hype and fills the gap for the entire Diablo franchise while they continue to work on its evolution into Diablo Immortal and Diablo 4
  4. All this can be done relatively cheaply because they are not changing or reprogramming the core game. They are just adding some sheen to it with upgraded graphics and better user interface.
  5. Because they will release it on consoles as well as PC, they will get maximum exposure and will likely outsell the original game by a substantial margin.
  6. It gives Blizzard/Activision a much need win which seem to have been few and far between of late.
  7. PROFIT!
2 Likes

Ironically, Blizzard just sent out another survey. It seems to contradict with the notion of keeping everything the same from the recent interview.

New Survey Posted on Reddit 4/19/21 - Diablo II: Resurrected / General Discussion - Diablo 3 Forums (blizzard.com)

1 Like

I really really really think it will be the same on release and the first few ladders.

If those changes are made, I would expect them down the road in a DLC or optional pack. They won’t be on release, I really don’t think.

BUT it takes time to plan such a patch so they are likely gathering data so they can make decisions, have folks research how to do it, build it, test it, test it again, etc. Maybe next year something like that would come out? Blizz is not fast at making changes. I don’t expect them to be in this case either.

5 Likes

Let’s all hope they get it. There will be backlash akin to WC3R if they start making balance changes without making them optional.

I know some of the players newer to D2 think it’s okay to buff skills or runewords, or uniques wherever the dev team seems fit, but there will absolutely be hellish backlash from the most vocal, avid fans of this game from D2JSP. It seems as if the dev team acknowledges this quite well, when people in this forum or elsewhere talk about large balance patches being no big deal. They absolutely are a big deal. The dev team have spoken numerous times how they recognize it’s a big deal, and yet people still act like some of the more experienced players are crazy to fight against the inevitable power creep that always follows “small balance changes”

3 Likes

I just hope by either sales or participation, or guilt? they decide to release an expansion in the future, they got my money now if they want to offer a preorder for 2023.

2 Likes

I think they should make a new bracket. There is Classic D2, LoD, Ladder, HC. I think they should make a Resurrected box, at character creation. Put all the after.1.14d stuff in there, so there is the Classic sections for D2 and Lod and then the, game lowly updating area.

2 Likes

Yeah I would absolutely buy an expansion to D2. If they do release correctly, they will likely get me to buy 4 copies of the game. If not, I’ll tinker here and there.

1 Like

Why are you assuming we are newish to D2? A lot of old-school players want changes also. I am an avid user of D2jsp myself with over 40k posts there. Lol. My brother is also and we both would like to see changes. However, yes, they should make them optional so the purists can play the same game.

1 Like

I wasn’t referencing anyone in particular, though I think it’s pretty obvious the players newer to the game wouldn’t be as familiar to the more complex aspects or culture of the game, and be more likely to want more “modern” changes…I don’t think I’m really going out on a limb by saying that.

2 Likes

I don’t think D2JSP users are as resistant to change as you think either though. There’s literally a subsection dedicated to private realms nowadays that oldschool D2 players use while they play modded servers that have some of these changes that we want.

I do agree that newer players will want some changes and more QoL though.

I dunno. I was on the main D2R page of JSP and nearly every post was shouting down pretty much every change. Even things I don’t care one way or the other about like stacked gems and runes, people were pretty vocal. Also, the ultra wide support for PvP was a hot topic. The devs are in a tough place, I hope they pull it off, too many changes and it’s not going to be pretty. I used to absolutely love WC3, for what it’s worth.

1 Like

I have thousands of hours in D2 and D2:LoD. At the time D2:LoD was my favorite game, Having said that, it has faults that can be corrected in parallel to having an old school D2 version in D2R.

3 Likes

Oh the monitor issue is definitely something that needs to be addressed. That will ruin PvP in itself, so of course they’re going to be against that. Most of us are.

Fully agree. If you look at the context of this and previous posts, I am explicitly arguing against the change without the option to also play 1.14 without balance patches.

(many people have been arguing in this thread and others, that it is just fine to add major content like skill and item balances, without keeping a secondary, playable option that we’re used to, with the premise that they used to patch the game 15 years ago, so it’s ok now)

1 Like

I also see that most posts are positive toward buffing lesser used runewords etc. in the thread about the new reddit survey on D2jsp.

I checked that thread earlier today…it seemed pretty even but I only skimmed the first 2 pages, there were quite a few people against changes like that, too, with some wanting nerfed runewords rather than buffed.

Ultimately, I think the devs should be more cautious when it comes to changes, than less.