Overheating - [MacBook Pro 16 AMD Radeon 5500M]

Hey guys, how are you ? I’ve got myself an brand new MacBook Pro 16" AMD Radeon 5500M 4Gb GPU and was surprised by the fans getting hit very hard by just opening the game menu. Settings are in recommended mostly on High. I have already switched off the energy settings saving that switch between gpus.

Did you guys experience the same issue ?? is this normal ?

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB

may the force be with you

Howdy darthvader,

The MacBook Pro is a very slim (thin) notebook computer, and contains high-performance components. Those components (Intel CPU and AMD Radeon GPU) put out quite a bit of heat, and need to be cooled. The thermal system of the 16" MacBook Pro is designed to keep those components cool, and will turn on when needed. When both the CPU and the GPU are in use (as in Diablo 3), the fans will kick on to prevent your MacBook Pro from overheating. That is by design, and should not concern you. I have a 16" MacBook Pro with the same specs as yours, except I have the 8 GB GPU option, and the last time I checked, the system temp was holding smoothly at around 68C while playing. That is OK for putting the system under some load, and is not overheating. Do you have other issues that are leading you to think your MacBook Pro is overheating? Good luck!

Rich S.

For anyone using any of Apple’s laptops that contain fans (i.e. all non-Macbook Air laptops), I strongly recommend using Macs Fan Control and setting a profile that increases fans to at least 80% of their maximum so that you can use that profile while gaming. It guarantees that the computer will rev the fans up sooner rather than later and stave off being cooked to death.

1 Like

I’ve a Macbook Pro 16 inches (Radeon 5500M 8GB, Core i9 2.4 and 32GB of RAM).

This is connected to two 4k inches displays so the GPU fires up a lot. Combine this with Chrome and some game and the temperature flies up to 95º C, lagging and suddenly crashes.

The only way I’ve found to keep the computer up to 77º C was mounting the Mac up some structure so the air runs beneath.

I think this is a big deal given what apples represents in terms of quality and modern setups, however I’m happy I’ve been able to deal with and hope this experience could help someone :grin: