Overall very solid alpha - detailed feedback inside

Overall this game does a great job capturing the D2LoD experience in combat, styling, and atmosphere and that was my main concern: does it feel authentic in core gameplay and ambience? Yes it does.

But these are specific examples where I feel D2R is not authentic:

UI panes like waypoint list, advanced char details, and other panes seem a bit bland, especially the borders/edges. Even core panes like char, inv, Merc seem too smooth - using thin gold border accents or elaborate scrolling leaf for some panes would add more appeal to the UI imo. Waypoint list and advanced char details in particular need more work as they are the most bland imo.

Character movement - having gone through A2 w/ several chars, some of the movement feels off, especially in town with the SHIFT+LMB issue with the leg animation flutter - that’s a glaring issue. Otherwise, AZN seems off on directional changes and height of loping etc. If possible I wouldn’t deviate from the core feel of movement in D2LoD with classes.

As I’m sure developers are aware, the zone loading delay is a current issue but I think most people are hoping this will be fully optimized and not an issue for launch. Instant load times for most D2 players are a given and having load delays will not go over well with the existing D2 playerbase.

Item icons in inventory - some of these seem off, especially specific rings and amulets etc. I would just make sure to checklist amulets and make sure in comparison they look the same in D2LoD because right now, some don’t. But if authenticity is not a concern - it’s fine.

I felt like my A1 and A2 Mercs were going AWOL more often in D2R than in D2. This was highly subjective though - specific example would be in outdoor zones for long periods of time they would frequently be nowhere on the minimap or close by - I would have to TP or WP to get them back in close proximity. This happens all the time in D2 as well with Merc pathing/navigation where they get hung up and separated but I feel in D2R this was more pronounced.

Gems seem off a bit like the L12 gems don’t seem as visually distinct from chipped if memory serves but stuff like this is very minor.

Fonts on dropped items and in general - I feel like D2 has bolded heavier font in general - D2R’s font feels thinner and more spaced apart in general for drops etc. This is kind of a big deal because we look at drops ad nauseam and giving font more solid and bolder feel would be nice.

Because of the higher resolution, I feel the screen distance between inventory and stash, and between inv and vendor screen is too big. Moving items and/or buying/selling doesn’t have the same feel because of this distance imo. Because we’re stationary in these cases, I would much rather have vendor/stash panes right next to inv pane for efficiency, instead of being on opposite edges of the screen.

But back to the overall picture - great job on the alpha in general. The graphics and animations are excellent imo. Ghostly marauder in A2 desert for example was amazing to see - semi-transparent, truly ghostly, great job on details like that. And people will nitpick every animation and every skill and all kinds of things but again, my main question coming in was this: Does D2R capture the D2LoD experience? And the answer was yes, except for loading screens and some avatar movement issues. Fix those, keep a consistent frame rate and you guys should be fine for core gameplay.

9 Likes

Disagree completely.

This is not LoD Season by any means.

It is strickly LoD Single Player with much less monsters and drops during quests.

Not a very solid Alpha, it’s a Alpha Single Player only!

2 Likes

i don’t see what there is to disagree with.

He said D2lod experience as an ALPHA of what was available so far
this alpha only had the single player indeed but you only should compare it to the single player mode of the original , not to the ladder mode of the original.

also , it’s already quiet impressive for an alpha to have 2/5 of the game available to play.
you can’t compare it to a full game it’s normal.

As for the différence between ladder and single player, it doesn’t have anything to do with the alpha itself.
Next time simply learn of the differences between single players and ladder and use the /players 8 command allowing you to have a closer experience to regular ladder.

5 Likes

Gems and the way point list stood out to me as potential areas for visual improvement. Chipped gems and flawed are hard to tell apart, perhaps just decreasing the size of a chip by 50% would be enough.

I had the same thought on mercs getting lost but wasn’t sure if it was just me. As you pointed out this happens often in D2 also but they might rubber band back into place a bit better there?

Yeah that’s a great point - rubberbanding of the Merc to the player seems to work more consistenly in D2 than D2R for some reason. I also found a bug where, after the Merc was AWOL, I entered a dungeon and the Merc showed up but had stopped regenerating life. I opened the Merc UI pane and the life total was something like 80hp out of 150hp. It never increased like normal over time. I waited a while and it just stayed at 80hp.

There’s a separate multiplayer alpha. L2Read

I wish I could’ve actually played it, but even though I was flagged for Alpha access, installed the game on a Windows 10 machine, and made sure there was no other programs running, it never even was able to start. Not really a solid TECH Alpha when it has a technical problem that causes the game to be completely unplayable for many people.

2 Likes

That’s a shame - with so many variations of Windows 10 patches, hardware (cpu, gpu, etc), and drivers (generic vs vendor-specific, old or new), it’s really important to be on the latest Windows 10 patch with updated drivers with a system that meets all of the min reqs for the game.

I’d imagine your system meets those reqs but without a dxdiag I couldn’t really help you more than just saying to update and patch up to the latest of everything.

Hopefully you can figure out the issue in time for multiplayer Alpha which is coming up next I think. And of course for the live launch whenever that happens.

Indeed. There’s a whole other thread of people reporting the same issue with not a lot of commonality between them. Hopefully these things will be resolved before Beta, let alone Release. All I can say is that the Windows 10 minimum requirement for a 20-year-old game (shiny new graphics or not) is pretty ridiculous, considering it’s pretty much all the same systems under the hood.

1 Like

I just noticed the D2R main page had the phrase “Beta Opt-In”.

I also agree with you that D2R should be much more about “lean and mean” rather than having all the latest bells and whistles such that it becomes too bloated and affects zone loading times and a consistent frame rate.

Even Diablo 3 allows Windows 7, 8, 10 per their sys req page.

It only captures the Single Player LoD experience, NOT the true Season LoD experience.

Please be more specific when you post.