Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac: subpar ancient vs perfect non ancient

Hi there,

I have been trying to get a good ancient Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac for a long time, and it seems I have failed. Here are my observations and questions:

ORotZ has 4 affixes

• Attack speed increase: 5% to 7%
  • Critical chance increase: 4% to 6%
  • Reduce cool down of all skills: 6% to 8%
  • Reduce all resource costs: 5% to 7%

Since the value of all affixes has only a few choices (% can change by 0.5%), they are more discrete than continuous.

The last affix is rerolled into a socket (at least for me, Vyr/Archon build).

I got one non-ancient that has the best roll: 7%/6%/8%.

Very much important to me is CDR as those 8% bring me to 55.81%CdR, below which I feel is unsafe to be for the Archon build

My problem is that (despite trying) I can’t manage to get an ancient one with a close roll. The two best ones I got are:

• 5%/5%/8% (-2.8% damage)
  • 7%/6%/5% (no change in damage, but reduces my CdR to 54.39%)

Question: should I switch to one of these two ancient any way, in order to augment them with ≈ +500 intelligence using the cube?

And which one?

Or should I swallow it and continue to grind bounties and reroll until I get a better one?

FWIW, I reached GR level 104, but start to have a difficult time around level 100.

Thanks

For Vyr’s, attack speed on an Obsidian Ring is the least important stat. It’s additive with the attack speed from the Vyr’s 4p bonus, so heavily diluted once you have stacks rolling.

I’d wear a 5/6/8 augmented ancient over a 7/6/8 ancient any day.

Neither of those really ideal. I wouldn’t waste an augment on either of those unless you have a bunch to spare or are prepping for your final push. Personally, if those are your other options, I’d keep using your 7/6/8 non-ancient until you get one closer to a perfect ancient. E.g. a 5/6/8, 6/6/8, 7/6/7. Something like that.

Of the two you have, the low attack speed on the first isn’t a huge deal because of what I mentioned above, but that crit roll is just a bit too low for my liking. And the second one the CDR is too low to justify using IMO.

I’d hold out.

I wouldn’t waste bounty mats rerolling Obsidian Rings unless you literally have nothing better to do with them. I’d put most of them into wands, amulets, and CoE/Karini unless you have a god-tier versions of all those items already.

The difference between a non-ancient and ancient Obsidian Ring is pretty small. The difference between a good wand and a bad wand is huge. Same for amulet and the rings with more variable affixes (CoE and Karini).

Thank you so much for this useful answer. ORotZ is my last non ancient item. I was very lucky to reroll a Squirt’s Necklace into a primal one (+1000int/+100%crit dmg/+10% crit chance). And it seems my ancient Chantodo’s Will and Force are okay. That’s why I have been focusing on my ORotZ.

If you have time to look at my profile and suggest where I should focus my efforts, I would be very grateful.

Yeah, your wand is okay for now.

There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with any of your gear. It’s actually really solid for your paragon level.

Some minor things I’d change or look to improve:

1. chest ideally will have armor (or life%) instead of all res, along with a secondary resistance and/or ranged/melee reduction
  2. roll movement speed on boots to armor
  3. ideally you’ll have a source with 4 APoC instead of 3, but if you’re running Messerschmidt’s that won’t really be an issue
  4. I prefer CDR instead of attack speed on gloves

You’re showing a T16 setup, so I can’t comment on your helm, bracers, or other ring (that you would run instead of Avarice Band).

But with what I’m seeing, you should be able to clear well past 104. And you should be crushing GR100s. Might be a playstyle issue?

Ah yes, you probably looked while I was farming the bounties. I have now equipped again my main gear.
Thanks for the advice. I will adjust accordingly.