Now they are being sued by California

Oh heck no that is not what they are mostly based on. I get you want to dismiss this and are looking for reasons, but you really should not.

There is so much more to it and has been forever. You really need to believe the people who have worked there and are talking. Some of them I know personally. Those are not my stories to tell, but I have known some of it for years and it is accurate as heck. READ the whole lawsuit.
https://aboutblaw.com/YJw

I don’t consider basics like paying people, having a career path, or keeping people safe from sex abuse and harassment as “liberal deep end”. I consider those basic decency.

16 Likes

This is why #MeToo was important, kids. All accusers of sexual harassment are obviously lying because the patriarchy is just holding them down.

2 Likes

Not really surprising. California sues anything not itself, and then that for audacity to be copycats.

Glad I moved away from the Orange Desert.

3 Likes

It’s muddled. Sexual harassment, all harassment for that matter, is real. What constitutes it is vague at times. Unfortunately public opinion and the media has been interfering and real cases are being lost in the feeding frenzy. It’s why we have courts that while imperfect can often get to the truth.

1 Like

Not buying the game is all I can do sadly. I don’t live in the US and I have no real way to influence that. I know it changes nothing, and it’s more something I do for myself really, I can’t stomach giving money to companies like that when I can help it (sometimes you don’t really have a choice, everyone needs a phone for example, but I don’t really need a Diablo). I know it doesn’t actually help, but it makes me feel better. And truth be told, I take issue with the quality of their games lately too, so it’s something I was likely to do anyway

2 Likes

Really very true.
I read the attachment, dang what a rotten place to work if your a women.
Never saw anything remotely like that in the places I worked, not that they were perfect mind you, but not out of control like that legal brief alleges.
I be watching this to see how it pans out. If true I would expect Blizz to negotiate a settlement of some sort.

1 Like

I have extremely complicated feelings on this. There are those who engaged in the behavior. Those at a mgt and HR level who allowed it to continue with no consequences - or punished the people who raised concerns. There are the people afraid to raise concerns due to retaliation.

Then there are a ton of great people who work their backsides off on games who are really kind, dedicated, and awesome.

Some left Blizzard, others are still there hoping Blizz will finally fix the culture and staff treatment.

It is complicated. I don’t want to punish the people who are making games and did nothing wrong. I DO want Blizzard as a corporation to be held accountable, and those who engaged in the behavior to be held accountable.

3 Likes

Just hold off awhile and after the court battle and/or settlement it won’t be the same place. The allegations are egregious, if proven true they will create change within Blizz. I’m cynical too, but also I know how business and law work. Act Blizz will be compelled to act.

Yes, that is a completely fair point. If anyting, it’s just that lingering feeling that I would be helping “finance” that stuff. Out of the billions of dollars that company has, a minuscule fraction is the maybe thousands I probably paid in WoW subs. It’s a grain of salt in the ocean, it doesn’t actually make a difference. I guess it’s less than “I’m not gonna support them because of that” and more of a “I have even one less reason to support them”

1 Like

To their credit California is pretty good about punishing this except when it comes to social media corporations, Hollywood, and politicians.

6 Likes

The courts rarely seem in favor of the victims, however, when it’s often a big company and their resources against someone rank and file who couldn’t hope to put up nearly the same defense. Settlements and corresponding NDAs also rarely come off as just, and more often than not, reek of nothing more than bribery.

My jab was otherwise at the implication none of this should be believed because… California’s population happens to be left-leaning? Dudebro tech industry harassment is not a surprise revelation, and even more generally, the pay gaps that exist between men and women is not a myth. Pragmatically, I have no qualms stating anyone involved in the behavior should be fired and appropriately sentenced. Those in the know with the power to do something about it, but didn’t out of fear of retaliation from Blizzard, should also be fired. Victims possibly fired (by the corrupt) out of fear they might speak out also require restitution. Naysayers can feel free to call it virtue signaling or whatever other anti-SJW rhetoric they want to pull of their hat, but it’s exactly this prolonged existence being why I take such a zero tolerance stance. The courts can otherwise do their thing with or without public outcry, but I’d also argue that “the right thing” is more likely to occur when under the microscope.

So, while it is easy to say things are complicated, what we’re seeing now of this particular case is also likely just the tip of the iceberg and is most definitely beyond social media he said/she said.

3 Likes

MissCheetah,

I do not intend to sound condescending when I say this (and hope you do not take it that way, since you are a valuable member of this dwindling community), but I am an attorney who understands both how pleadings, and how alleged civil rights complaints work.

First, no, you do not “really need to believe the people” talking, because they are either plaintiffs in a private suit, or the parties on whose behalf the state brings an action. Their allegations are intentionally scurrilous, and there are not many consequences when not proven after discovery.

Second, it is curious to say the least that the State has chosen to file this suit rather than leave it as a private cause of action. California is indeed an activist state. This can be seen by how they legislated independent contractors out of existence. They have a very liberal agenda, and truly believe themselves to be a light among nations (even as they lose their top 25% dwellers at an alarming clip).

Third, much of the allegations as covered by articles (I admit I have not had time to read the lawsuit because I am drafting my own as we speak) relate to that Blizzard hires too few women. This is the classic “disparate impact” versus “discriminatory intent” argument, and its a terrible one.

Finally, I find the absurdity of referring to gaming as a “frat house” to be amazingly tone deaf. The men of gaming are the nerds of high school in the 1990’s. We played Diablo and Warcraft specifically because we were not invited to parties. To claim that a building full of men whose average bench press is double-digits are a “frat house” is just insulting, both to the nerds, and to the frat brothers.

12 Likes

Courts are incredibly favorable towards victims of stuff like this. Look into Wage and Hour litigation, 1983 Actions, and ADA suits. Legal fees, doubled liquidated damages, loosened pleading standards…

2 Likes

Someone lost her life over this. This is no longer about the nerds.

9 Likes

Approximately 6,000 veterans commit suicide annually. I am sorry that someone killed herself, but that does not mean that burdens of proof go out of the window and companies must run by government-mandated standards.

What sort of logic is this…

12 Likes

I can tell you have not read it. That is NOT what the law suit is about nor what the articles say.

You really have no clue what you are talking about. Blizzard is a heavy work out, fitness, and lifting culture.

I have been there, I have friends there.

You are making things up to suit your own imagined narrative.

Go read the actual law suit and learn more about Blizzard before posting.

7 Likes

All this does is to make it more and more costly to open and maintain jobs in the current American labor market. The middle class “stalled” in income around 1970, which coincides with the labor and discrimination laws getting out of hand.

2 Likes

All I’m pointing out is that someone has literally killed herself over this nonsense and you’re bringing up stuff like “the frat house analogy being offensive to the nerds”. Yeah no. Nobody cares about that right now.

9 Likes

And this is why the middle class has been in a tough spot for half a century.

1 Like

So the whole “lawsuits are allegations drafted by the party representing the plaintiff in a suit for money damages and an injunction” just sorta…flew over your head it would seem. How about we…you know, wait for an adjudication? Or at least an answer/motion to dismiss from Blizzard?

Do you have any proof of Blizzard’s “lifting culture” beyond your own experiences? I deadlift almost twice my large body weight, and what you consider that type of culture and what I do vary. Any photos of these people together to suggest this, or just personal testimony?

8 Likes