Now they are being sued by California

MissCheetah,

I do not intend to sound condescending when I say this (and hope you do not take it that way, since you are a valuable member of this dwindling community), but I am an attorney who understands both how pleadings, and how alleged civil rights complaints work.

First, no, you do not “really need to believe the people” talking, because they are either plaintiffs in a private suit, or the parties on whose behalf the state brings an action. Their allegations are intentionally scurrilous, and there are not many consequences when not proven after discovery.

Second, it is curious to say the least that the State has chosen to file this suit rather than leave it as a private cause of action. California is indeed an activist state. This can be seen by how they legislated independent contractors out of existence. They have a very liberal agenda, and truly believe themselves to be a light among nations (even as they lose their top 25% dwellers at an alarming clip).

Third, much of the allegations as covered by articles (I admit I have not had time to read the lawsuit because I am drafting my own as we speak) relate to that Blizzard hires too few women. This is the classic “disparate impact” versus “discriminatory intent” argument, and its a terrible one.

Finally, I find the absurdity of referring to gaming as a “frat house” to be amazingly tone deaf. The men of gaming are the nerds of high school in the 1990’s. We played Diablo and Warcraft specifically because we were not invited to parties. To claim that a building full of men whose average bench press is double-digits are a “frat house” is just insulting, both to the nerds, and to the frat brothers.

12 Likes

Courts are incredibly favorable towards victims of stuff like this. Look into Wage and Hour litigation, 1983 Actions, and ADA suits. Legal fees, doubled liquidated damages, loosened pleading standards…

2 Likes

Someone lost her life over this. This is no longer about the nerds.

9 Likes

Approximately 6,000 veterans commit suicide annually. I am sorry that someone killed herself, but that does not mean that burdens of proof go out of the window and companies must run by government-mandated standards.

What sort of logic is this…

12 Likes

I can tell you have not read it. That is NOT what the law suit is about nor what the articles say.

You really have no clue what you are talking about. Blizzard is a heavy work out, fitness, and lifting culture.

I have been there, I have friends there.

You are making things up to suit your own imagined narrative.

Go read the actual law suit and learn more about Blizzard before posting.

7 Likes

All this does is to make it more and more costly to open and maintain jobs in the current American labor market. The middle class “stalled” in income around 1970, which coincides with the labor and discrimination laws getting out of hand.

2 Likes

All I’m pointing out is that someone has literally killed herself over this nonsense and you’re bringing up stuff like “the frat house analogy being offensive to the nerds”. Yeah no. Nobody cares about that right now.

9 Likes

And this is why the middle class has been in a tough spot for half a century.

1 Like

So the whole “lawsuits are allegations drafted by the party representing the plaintiff in a suit for money damages and an injunction” just sorta…flew over your head it would seem. How about we…you know, wait for an adjudication? Or at least an answer/motion to dismiss from Blizzard?

Do you have any proof of Blizzard’s “lifting culture” beyond your own experiences? I deadlift almost twice my large body weight, and what you consider that type of culture and what I do vary. Any photos of these people together to suggest this, or just personal testimony?

8 Likes

I agree with, but that is not the zeitgeist our media pushes us towards. Even its almost like a candidate recently won a major office on a “forgotten man” middle class platform…

1 Like

Yes, and they post about it on Twitter frequently from their personal accounts. Fitness, body building, and lifting are a big thing at Blizz. Yes, they have a gym and work out areas on campus too.

If you knew anybody there, visited, there or even followed the general social media you would know that. You can start with our Community Lead if you want.

They won’t be dismissing and they (Blizzard) have released a statement - again, read the articles that include Blizzard’s statement. The state engaged in a 2 year long investigation and met with Blizzard 3 times to attempt arbitration. That failed hence the lawsuit. Likely Blizz will settle.

7 Likes

The inability to grab your secretary’s backside without getting sued isn’t why the middle class is suffering. The myth of trickle down economics and its right-wing proponents is where you should start looking to unravel such an outcome. But this is also jumping into an unrelated political topic.

11 Likes

I strongly agree that it will settle. But, that is also because many matters settle, including many of these types of suits.

Give me a name or two of these guys. I am genuinely curious if my impression of game designers is inaccurate. The guys that make Magic are very public, and are…not gym rats to say the least.

This is a word salad.

Here is a tip: if your post is “jumping into an unrelated political topic”, don’t make it while labelling as such, and instead don’t make the statement at all. Otherwise, you are just asking to get the last word on a sensitive debate.

3 Likes

This is sad indeed. People and judging are way too far nowadays. I hope they get this under control. I am glad, however, the World today brings so many issues up and wants justice for it

It’s a separate topic because the details of “a suffering middle class” do not have to do with laws related to sexual harassment and discrimination.

6 Likes

I hope justice and truth is done in the court of law. As the forum is not the court of law, it’s the right place to just be f*cking pissed and express frustration for what is happening

6 Likes

I am as well. But I don’t know whom did what they did. I am a feminist myself. I will always stand for balance and fairness for everyone. But at the same time, I am glad to see, that people are more aware than ever, even though the World seems messy

Yes, I too don’t know who are the individuals who did that, although what I do know is that their superiors are responsible for their actions. All I know is that this came after a 2 year investigation. I don’t know what will be said and decided in the court, but there’s more than enough smoke to be able to deduce that something is probably on fire

Edit: of course my post with a little swear word was flagged

I am sorry, but I have to correct you. There is both trickle down, trickle up, and trickle sideways economics because each of our economic actions affects the people we exchange value with, and others down the chain. Read Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell for more information.

Lawsuits like this benefit a few women who get a payout while harm massive numbers of other women who will not be hired because the jobs would not be created. Too much risk. Do without or order from China. Hence, the middle class “suffering.”

I have another right-wing conspiracy for you: without people risking their capital, expertise, and efforts in hopes of future gain, there will be no real jobs. Make their future gain unlikely, and kiss your lifestyle goodbye.

5 Likes