Now Its August Let me Play D2R Beta Finaly The Day has come

Just wanted to start this for fun :slight_smile: cant wait to try out this beta

30 Likes

Yeah, let’s do a poster peasant uprising!

8 Likes

It’s august 1st for us, still the 31st for them lol. I’m sweating on this too!

4 Likes

Click.
CLICK.
CLICK!!11
omg let me play! :sob:

26 Likes

I’m hoping we get it tomorrow or when it hits midnight (Aug 1st). I would be pretty disappointed if there’s no Beta access in early August because I pre-ordered for that very reason.

1 Like

Highly doubtful as it is the weekend and they will do an announcement first a couple of days ahead, as they will want to have the gaming media circulating the info as well as giving streamers an opportunity to rearrange their streaming schedule for optimal viewing. With the latest update version on bnet being from July 29th (Thursday), they may be ready internally to announce this Monday or Tuesday, thus still hitting early August.

3 Likes

I doubt it. They have given no date at all for when it will release. Nothing other than a generic “August”.

Breathe :slight_smile: You don’t get to keep Open Beta progress anyway so no need to go nuts on it.

8 Likes

Game releases usually do not hit on a weekend.
A beta is not a full release, but there are the same considerations when it comes to picking a date for it.

• Staff needs to be avaialable to address technical issues → weektime working hours
  • Players want to be able to play the game in their off-time → weektime with a small buffer to the weekend

“Releasing” a game without prior notice on a sunday is the most ridiculous thing you could do.

B-But… BeTa~!!1!

For realsies though, I’m not getting too excited about it since as Cheetah has said, we won’t keep progress. Though I am pumped to see the game for myself finally. Probably ooo and aaa at it for a few minutes, play a tiny bit of Act 1 and then shelf it until launch, to maintain the hype.

Just think though, we’ll get to play twice, some of us.

4 Likes

Yes, that is my consideration as well.

But they said “early access beta”. Early access has a different meaning in the context of other games and does not always come with a rollback. So there is still a tiny bit of leeway left to hope for beta chars to persist.

1 Like

I would be very surprised if they allowed us to keep progress. We won’t even have all classes available right? And any bugs - esp with cross progression on diff platforms would be a nightmare.

5 Likes

My hope would be that they keep progress unless there is any particular exploit that would make it very unfair.
e.g. bugged items, experience exploits, etc.

Of course it is easier to just roll everything back. It is also arguebly fairer towards first-day-purchasers. But then again, it would be fairer for pre-purchasers to keep their progress, so it could go either way.
Not arguing for or against either, just silently hoping to keep my character and that precious collection of ELD runes. :smiley: :moneybag:

He who controls the Eld Runes, controls the universe.

4 Likes

Correct. :slight_smile:

This is why I did not go nuts during the Alpha. I had a list of things I wanted to test, then a second list based on initial experienced. Then I STOPPED. I knew I cold not keep anything except my knowledge gained - and the feedback survey and such I submitted which helped them.

It was so so so good on PC, even with my cobbled together hand-me-down frankenputer.

5 Likes

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Eld that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns0zMcV8Zyg

1 Like

Since it’s a game with seasons I could maybe see them letting you keep beta characters as non-seasonal characters and then when official release comes that would be the start of season 1 and most people would probably be making seasonal characters at that point anyway. Not sure what importance is placed on non-seasonal economy since it’s a game with a lot of trade.

Let us play already im dying of waiting

1 Like

Why does it even matter if characters from the beta persist or not?

Wanna prepare a character for release? Make an offline character and keep the save file.

If you’re talking about online, closed battle net stuff… I’d say such an expectation would be unreasonable one, considering, that they also don’t allow you to keep your current progress over the closed battle net.

Also, this beta is more of a hype thing than anything else. It’s not like your feedback will have any effect.
Hell, you can write all you like during WoW alpha and betta and all the broken, nonsensical things still make it on release.

It’s been like this for so long now, I don’t even see the point in testing…

Yes, i think we are all talking about close bnet characters.
Not sure why you are talking about the current progress from closed bnet.
Which is clearly a different iteration of the game, clearly perstered by botted and duped items and clearly giving an unfair edge towards players who owned the original.

I understand that keeping your old nonseasonal characters would be nice, especially those that are in the higher levels. But that is a different discussion in my book.
We are talking about D2R and the characters played in D2R on the closed bnet. Where we all get a clean start in the beta and players would be more inclined to finish the game if they would not lose their entire progress at release.
For comparison: the D3 PTR realm has increased xp rate, increased drop rate, double drops from certain loots, a special npc that allows characters to buy items that would otherwise be hard to achieve.
That realm is made for testing. The progress is sped up to achieve that goal and keep players motivated by giving them quicker rewards.

I do not think that changing the beta content in that manner would be a good idea. But still the game is supposed to be tested. And not just everybody playing for 1-2 days and then shelving it until release (as Muyu said). Sure, a few players will still play lots, but many will lose their hype of the beta knowing all will be lost again.

All this does not apply to your classic D2 characters. You already have them. There is no hype to be lost. It is not a character you create 1 month before release that will be deleted afterwards (possibly without ever seeing parts of the content that is not part of the beta yet). It is a character that you have played the entire game with, without restrictions. Totally different story.

Betas are not for hyping. Betas are for ensuring a smooth launch day.
Just look at the history of game launches and you will see plenty of reasons why betas exist.

First of all, that is not true. Second of all that is not the goal of the beta.
The goal of the beta is to smoothen out the game. To ensure that players are able to play. That there are no bugs.
If there is feedback that is valid and wide-spread that it will surely be considered. But that does not mean it is ready at launch.

Again you are confusing games, teams, even (sub)companies.
Your WoW experiences might have been tough but have little relevance here.

Nobody is forcing you to.
Dont test. Dont prepurchase. Watch some game reviews and then buy it or dont. Many people do it. It is a valid customer approach.

Lol hopefully we get a date soon. I’m just glad it’s finally August!

5 Likes